Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2021 9:51:24 PM EDT
I'm in El Paso for work for the next few weeks, first time. What's good? I checked out the scenic drive overlook yesterday. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Go hang out with Beto?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go hang out with Beto?
View Quote

Damn, is he from here? No wonder something seems off...
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm in El Paso for work for the next few weeks, first time. What's good? I checked out the scenic drive overlook yesterday. Thanks.
View Quote

No.  Best thing in EL Paso, is being close to White Sands national park in NM.  Go up there and see that.  Otherwise, el paso is just a pile of dirt where you can see into Ciudad Juarez where the houses close to the border are all dirt floors, or what democrats want to make the USA look like.

ETA Check for NM virus panic first.  NM might still be " closed ".  Because, everyone is gonna die.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Go hang out with Beto?

He was their do nothing Congressman for 3 terms. His daddy a County Commissioner was in big with the cartels, until they killed him by running him down on his bicycle.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:18:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Watch the Mexico side at night to see if you can catch any firefights.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
From EP go west on I-10 a few miles and there is an AMAZING aircraft museum. You'll see the billboards. Run up to Alamagordo and do White Sands. Go a bit further and you'll be in Cloudcroft/Ruidoso Nm. There's a one of a kind western museum in Ruidoso. Ski slopes should still be open too. We used to go across the border to the dog races in Juarez. They put monkeys in saddles on the back of the dogs. GLAD WE WENT WHEN WE DID. I WOULDN'T GO NOW.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
They say Chico's Tacos is the greatest.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
White Sands and the aircraft museum sound like the ticket. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
The War Eagles aircraft museum is pretty good for airplane geeks. Ft Bliss has a decent collection of tanks if you can get on post. There's also the border patrol museum on 375/TransMountain.

Honestly one of my favorite things about EP is the food and shooting opportunities. Check out L&Js or Kikis for solid El Paso TexMex. If steak is your thing there is the West Texas Chop House in town or a short drive out of town is Cattlemens. Besides that you can find all sorts of excellent chow.

Hit me up of you want to ask questions, I'm not a local but I  out here currently.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The War Eagles aircraft museum is pretty good for airplane geeks. Ft Bliss has a decent collection of tanks if you can get on post. There's also the border patrol museum on 375/TransMountain.

Honestly one of my favorite things about EP is the food and shooting opportunities. Check out L&Js or Kikis for solid El Paso TexMex. If steak is your thing there is the West Texas Chop House in town or a short drive out of town is Cattlemens. Besides that you can find all sorts of excellent chow.

Hit me up of you want to ask questions, I'm not a local but I  out here currently.
View Quote

Tell me more about these shooting opportunities. Cattlemens sounds like a must do also. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Cattlemans is an experience, its out in Fabiens, about a 30 min drive depending on where you start.

EP is pretty blessed with long range shooting opportunities. The Ft Bliss MWR range has a 1k range with steel. If roughing it is your style there are lots and lots of places in the desert to shoot as far as you want.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:38:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice, Beto must cry himself to sleep every night.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
White Sands and the aircraft museum sound like the ticket. Appreciate it.
View Quote

There's a cool national forest near there, too, but even further from El Paso
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#14]
You can check out the bar where John Wesley Hardin met his maker.  

State Line is a great barbecue place if you like meat!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:02:02 AM EDT
[#15]
The only thing I miss about El Paso is the food.

Go to Kiki’s and get the combo plate with green chicken enchiladas and tacos

Go to Track One and get the Double Dipped wings.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

A little google-fu tells me it's a store called Imperio Real now. Does that sound right, at 101 North Mesa?
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 3:08:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Go to Kiki's and get the combo plate with green chicken enchiladas and tacos

View Quote
Negative, best dish is the beef machaca
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 1:36:51 AM EDT
[#18]
IIRC, there's also a pretty neat border patrol museum around there somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
IIRC, there's also a pretty neat border patrol museum around there somewhere.
View Quote
On 375/ Transmountion on the east side of the mountains.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Go to Kiki’s and get the combo plate with green chicken enchiladas and tacos

View Quote
Whenever I went there on a business trip, I always ate at Fortis Mexican Restaurant. Really great food.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A little google-fu tells me it's a store called Imperio Real now. Does that sound right, at 101 North Mesa?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it's a dress store now. I think there is a plaque out front.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:50:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Hike to the top of North Franklin Mountain. It's a decent little workout. You get a great view of the smog hanging over El Paso/Juarez
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Years ago I would say go to Juarez. Not so sure about it these days. Last time I was in Mexico was in 2008 and it was great. I don’t think it is that way anymore. I was in Laredo a couple years ago and crossing the border wasn’t even a thought I considered.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 2:50:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I was working in Laredo in January, crossed over in Nuevo Laredo for a little while but that was it.

Passed by the BP Museum on my way to check out Franklin Mountain park on Sunday, I plan to go back to both next weekend.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hike to the top of North Franklin Mountain. It's a decent little workout. You get a great view of the smog hanging over El Paso/Juarez
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/244128/20210202_143612_jpg-1864506.JPG

View Quote

There's a drive-up rest area/overlook near this location as well, I believe.  That vista looks positively crystal clear compared to when I went.  Everything about that town was a shade of brown or yellow; the mountains, the buildings, the streets, the food, the people, and even the air/sky.  Coming back to the 'vibrant' color palette of real Texas was like entering Oz, it was so green by comparison.  I finally 'got' the gaudy Mexican pottery thing --it's escapism
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:51:59 AM EDT
[#26]
I like the geography out in this part of Texas, it's a big contrast to my home in middle TN where the hills and mountains are covered in trees. Nice change from the parts of TX I'm used to, mainly Houston. The El Paso mountains are like a middle ground between back home and what I saw around Havasu in AZ.

That said, yeah it looks smoggy af looking down from Franklin Mtn.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:45:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I like the geography out in this part of Texas, it's a big contrast to my home in middle TN where the hills and mountains are covered in trees. Nice change from the parts of TX I'm used to, mainly Houston. The El Paso mountains are like a middle ground between back home and what I saw around Havasu in AZ.

That said, yeah it looks smoggy af looking down from Franklin Mtn.
View Quote

Its not smog, its dust.

The 20-40 mph winds this time of year push a lot of dust into the air
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:06:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Shit..Wish I saw this earlier.

Hope you enjoyed the visit here.

Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Smells like dirt.  Didn't stay long.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:18:01 PM EDT
[#30]
El Paso Gun Club is in Anthony. Hit me up if you want to go out there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 6:31:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guys, got demobilized after 4 weeks but it was cool while it lasted.
Link Posted: 5/17/2021 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
El Paso Gun Club is in Anthony. Hit me up if you want to go out there.
View Quote

Worth joining? Ranges? Length? Rules? Matches?

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 7:04:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's located up against the mountain due east of the Flying J truck stop in Anthony. Rifle range is just 200 yards or so but it has covered concrete shooting benches (bring a folding chair). There are some steel targets in place out there at various ranges, I think there is one up the mountain at like 275 yards or so. There is a small pistol bay that I think is about 25 yards or so, it also has some cover. Membership is $100 a year and all memberships expire at the end of December every year. They are CMP affiliated. There are matches, bullseye pistol on Wednesday mornings and silhouette on Sunday mornings. Facilities consist of a porta potty as there is no electrical or water service to the site.

I usually go out there on a weekday in the early afternoon and am usually the only one there.

Here's a link to the club website: https://elpgc.com/

Here's a pic of one of my friends shooting my MP5 on the main range on a Friday afternoon in June of 2019, note the crowd.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's located up against the mountain due east of the Flying J truck stop in Anthony. Rifle range is just 200 yards or so but it has covered concrete shooting benches (bring a folding chair). There are some steel targets in place out there at various ranges, I think there is one up the mountain at like 275 yards or so. There is a small pistol bay that I think is about 25 yards or so, it also has some cover. Membership is $100 a year and all memberships expire at the end of December every year. They are CMP affiliated. There are matches, bullseye pistol on Wednesday mornings and silhouette on Sunday mornings. Facilities consist of a porta potty as there is no electrical or water service to the site.

I usually go out there on a weekday in the early afternoon and am usually the only one there.

Here's a link to the club website: https://elpgc.com/

Here's a pic of one of my friends shooting my MP5 on the main range on a Friday afternoon in June of 2019, note the crowd. https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/332973/Capture51651_PNG-1655184.png
View Quote

Thanks for the info..I saw the application, is being an NRA member a requirement?
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info..I saw the application, is being an NRA member a requirement?
View Quote

I don't think so, I'm not sure as I am a life NRA member, so I never had to ask.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I live here and Chicos sucks!  War Eagles museum is cool.  I used to get hands on and get on them when they were on a private ranch before moving to NM.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, got demobilized after 4 weeks but it was cool while it lasted.
View Quote

Too bad you only got see the worst of our state.

Well maybe 2nd worst since Laredo exists.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 3:06:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I live here and Chicos sucks!  War Eagles museum is cool.  I used to get hands on and get on them when they were on a private ranch before moving to NM.
View Quote

The perceived quality of Chicos is directly proportional to a person's blood alcohol content. If you didn't like it you weren't drunk enough.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Definitely. It went downhill for a while, but they have steel targets up to 1100 yards now. Roof and concrete tables, no rangemasters so you’ll often be alone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

And most of you guys get your panties in a twist when someone talks trash about Texas.
Link Posted: 5/23/2021 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I was warned about Chicos..Someone said, "Imagine being on food stamps, and all your food is made with the white label government cheeses and meats."

I ate it once, my colon was wrecked for a week.

Link Posted: 5/23/2021 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And most of you guys get your panties in a twist when someone talks trash about Texas.
View Quote

It would be ignorant to pretend we don't have our own democrat run shitholes.

Thankfully area wise they are relatively small compared to the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:09:48 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love Texas, have family all over it and used to visit every summer. I was just out in the Cypress part of Houston two weeks ago.

eta: I worked in Laredo for a month before going to El Paso
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top