Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2019 6:49:11 PM EDT
Not going to give away too many details here but just spent three weeks in San Diego doing tech work aboard a new build vessel in NASSCO shipyard. The experience was... not great.

Between tools and food left aboard being stolen by the night crew and 9/10 employees speaking Spanish, I was wondering what was going on in this yard. The quality of communication between our guys and the labor provided by the yard was horrid. Are employees being bussed over the border or what?

Saw lots of dudes there that looked like arfcommer types, but they were not the ones doing our work.

At least I wasn't being put up in a barge like a lot of the Navy guys stuck with their ship in drydock.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt employees are being bused over the border since it sounds like you were on a secure facility BUT you are in an area where a whole lot of American citizens & legal residents are bi-lingual and probably speak spanish the majority of the time.

What exactly does an "arfcommer type" look like?
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 4:53:57 AM EDT
[#3]
and walking through the fresh non-skid your guys just put down.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]
stand at the gate at the end of 28th or Sampson in the morning. yeah, a bunch of shady people.

also, it's not a secret what is being built there
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top