Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2022 10:31:28 AM EDT
talking to SMUD about a 12-24 month assignment out there.

any thoughts on SMUD?

COL doesn't look terrible in sacramento compared to the rest of CA.

single guy with no kids so i just need a cheap place to crash when i'm not working.

i've been all over San Diego for work but have never been anywhere else in cali.

TIA.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 8:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Sacramento traffic sucks and gas isn’t significantly cheaper than Sonoma County. And it gets f’in hot.

I don’t know anything about SMUD other than my friend in Elk Grove complaining about them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Had to look up SMUD.  I can't offer any insight into too much of the Sacramento area from a standpoint of living there.  I think one has to be very selective about where you may want to live.  Recreationally, you are close to some nice areas, Wine Country, Delta for water sports (I guess), Close to Gold Country and Tahoe-Donner for winter and mountain sports.  It's not the comfortable San Diego climate.  Hot in summer and can be wetter in the winter.  We have family in the general area but they don't commute into Sacramento so probably a different experience compared to living in reasonably nice and commutable.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:16:37 PM EDT
[#3]
What part of Sac is the home station/office you would be going to if/when required?
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of Sac is the home station/office you would be going to if/when required?
View Quote
59th & Folsom, roughly.

i wouldn't be going into the office much.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Had to look up SMUD.  I can't offer any insight into too much of the Sacramento area from a standpoint of living there.  I think one has to be very selective about where you may want to live.  Recreationally, you are close to some nice areas, Wine Country, Delta for water sports (I guess), Close to Gold Country and Tahoe-Donner for winter and mountain sports.  It's not the comfortable San Diego climate.  Hot in summer and can be wetter in the winter.  We have family in the general area but they don't commute into Sacramento so probably a different experience compared to living in reasonably nice and commutable.
View Quote
surrounding area looks nice.

COL is not unreasonable compared to the coast of CA.

taxes are a little higher than i'm used to but otherwise it doesn't appear bad.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Imma tell you , it ain't worth it. Fuck this state fuck it's gun laws, fuck it's politicians! And that's me being polite.

If you must, if yer set on it, don't live in Sacramento....commute, you will be happier.....not so much about the shitty commute, but you may be able to relax when you get home.

Foothill areas ain't so bad...Placerville, Auburn and a number of other places are pretty decent and close to outdoor recreation....that would likely be your place to blow off steam on your downtime.

That is just the tip of the iceberg.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Worked for SMUD for years, still know plenty of people there too, power is a small world. shoot me a pm and I can tell you all about it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Worked for SMUD for years, still know plenty of people there too, power is a small world. shoot me a pm and I can tell you all about it.
View Quote
PM sent.

thanks, boss.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
@NorCalRT

sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
@JLPettimoreIII

Sent you an email via your profile.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@JLPettimoreIII

Sent you an email via your profile.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top