Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2021 4:44:54 PM EDT
I've been thinking about this for awhile.  

I'm tired of HAM radio clubs that only talk about the weather, their medical conditions, their radio, band conditions, or their antenna. How about a group that actually uses their radios, does fox hunts, builds things (Antennas, shacks, mobile QRP rigs)?  Does real-world field daying (Camping with HAM radios and beer). ?  Makes a frequency plan for their AOR?

Anyone in the DFW area interested?

I wouldn't be able to play for awhile (Rice rabies, and the wife's cancer battle that she's winning).  Just seeing if there's any interest.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Count me in, used to be a Tech but it lapsed.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I would be in. I suggested a arfcom field day on discord.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#3]
interested.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Has it been more then 2 years from when it expired?  If it’s less then 2 you can just renew it and your 10 years will start again.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Has it been more then 2 years from when it expired?  If it’s less then 2 you can just renew it and your 10 years will start again.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, too long.  I swear I never got a reminder to renew after 10 years.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah, too long.  I swear I never got a reminder to renew after 10 years.
View Quote

I don’t believe you get one.  It’s up to you to remember.

If you want to renew you can take the test online now.  You need to have a webcam or proctor to show your not cheating.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Interested
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Erwin park has overnight camping. I’m not sure about other possible locations close where we could camp. Unless someone has property where a few of us could set up.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 10:47:33 PM EDT
[#9]
interested
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I don’t know shat about HAM but would be interested in learning.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don’t know shat about HAM but would be interested in learning.
View Quote

https://hamstudy.org/

Study for your tech then general if you want access to some real HF bands.  Morse code is no longer required to get your license.  You can get a cheap baofeng radio for $25 from Amazon to start out.  Just don’t transmit on it I until you get your tech license.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:03:05 AM EDT
[#12]
In. General but don't have any hf gear yet.

Every local club I visited was either interested only in contesting or on the verge of total wackerdom trying to convince local first responders to let them be their comm guys.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Interested. Looking into that website to learn.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In. General but don't have any hf gear yet.

Every local club I visited was either interested only in contesting or on the verge of total wackerdom trying to convince local first responders to let them be their comm guys.

View Quote

That's what I have run in to. In Virginia and here.  It seems they all have this wet dream fantasy of driving up to a natural disaster, seeing bewildered law enforcement, and being their S-6.  Luckily, I found a club in VA that was more personable, and had good conversations on my long morning commutes.

I'd like to set up something* that would be a group that would have a topic, and all could gather to puzzle it out.  

- How to build a directional antenna for fox hunting. (Then go do it.)
- Good frequencies to have for a given area. (Then go over programming.)
- Power solutions for SOTA (Then go do it, or use it for field day.)
- Digital modes for HF. (Then set it up.)
- Receive vs transmit antennas (Then set up a beverage, and see what we can hear.)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a icom 703 that hasn't come out of the ammo can for about 2 years now. I still have the QRP antenna hanging in the yard. I go back and forth on selling it.

If I use anything, I use my VHF stuff. I'm rigged for 60 watts at the house and I have a 25watt vhf/uhf in my wife's jeep.

Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm only slightly interested in all the other stuff, but I'm VERY interested in getting my little BaoFeng handhelds programmed with some local freqs for like minded individuals.  I know there's an arf freq list, but I'm sure there are local freqs that would be useful, too.

I'm currently uninterested in radio as a hobby, but right now I know almost nothing.  If I have to get licensed to use this stuff, so be it.

Oh, and when you say fox hunting, you're not talking about the small predator with the soft fur?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm only slightly interested in all the other stuff, but I'm VERY interested in getting my little BaoFeng handhelds programmed with some local freqs for like minded individuals.  I know there's an arf freq list, but I'm sure there are local freqs that would be useful, too.

I'm currently uninterested in radio as a hobby, but right now I know almost nothing.  If I have to get licensed to use this stuff, so be it.

Oh, and when you say fox hunting, you're not talking about the small predator with the soft fur?
View Quote

Fix hunting is using radios to find the position of someone transmitting. I used hamtestonline to study for my tech license. I need to get back to it and get my general.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:14:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You may not be interested in it as a hobby but without have some knowledge on radios they are somewhat useless and you can cause issues for others that you don’t realize your causing.

Example... At the speedway now there are people out there listing to the radio MRN broadcast on their cheap baofengs but also start talking to each other.  All that does is broadcast their voices to others in the stands and interrupts other people’s ability to enjoy the race.  They most likely have no idea how much a pain in the ass they are being.

Also if you don’t know how to program it and use repeaters or what frequencies to use they will almost be useless in an emergency unless you just happen to find the correct frequency by accident.

Getting your tech is quick easy and cheap.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Not living in the area, yet at least but interested here. Have Hf mobile as well
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You may not be interested in it as a hobby but without have some knowledge on radios they are somewhat useless and you can cause issues for others that you don’t realize your causing.
View Quote

Yeah, I've been using radios professionally my entire adult life, but the radios are just handed to me, pre-programmed on frequencies not (supposed to be) used by anyone else nearby.

I'm going to get my tech at a minimum, but I was trying to provide a context for my interest in this type of group.  I'd like to show up to an even there and there, but I'm not interested in fox hunting or the other things that radio hobbyists might be interested in.  I'm interested in learning the nitty gritty bare minimum so that these radios are useful to me for basic communications.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've been using radios professionally my entire adult life, but the radios are just handed to me, pre-programmed on frequencies not (supposed to be) used by anyone else nearby.

I'm going to get my tech at a minimum, but I was trying to provide a context for my interest in this type of group.  I'd like to show up to an even there and there, but I'm not interested in fox hunting or the other things that radio hobbyists might be interested in.  I'm interested in learning the nitty gritty bare minimum so that these radios are useful to me for basic communications.
View Quote

You could get yourself a nicer GMRS radio and learn how basic repeaters / programming
works by watching YouTube videos.  There is no test for the license.  You  just pay the fee and your whole family is covered even those that don’t live with you.  This way you don’t step on something you shouldn’t while your learn.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:54:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Not in the DFW area but I'd be willing to travel for some ARF fun. Can't seem to find an interest in my area :( (Temple / Belton)
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm down on the coast but I'll make a jaunt for some stuff. I like camping and POTA.

Thankfully my club isn't too wackerific and the old contester and rag chewers are cool. There's a few tho.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 12:42:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - I will take my tech exam later this month, I own zero equipment so far, and exploring options to put up a 2M/70cm/23cm antenna(s) at the house in an HOA.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 1:47:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Short answer - yes.

Longer answer - I will take my tech exam later this month, I own zero equipment so far, and exploring options to put up a 2M/70cm/23cm antenna(s) at the house in an HOA.
View Quote

Search YouTube for HOA antenna.   You can put something in your attic,  use your rain gutters, hide a wire in a tree, use a flag pole or even modify a direct tv dish.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:05:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Search YouTube for HOA antenna.   You can put something in your attic,  use your rain gutters, hide a wire in a tree, use a flag pole or even modify a direct tv dish.
View Quote

The whole underside of my roof decking is coated in radiant barrier.  The gutter / wire type antennas I gather are for HF.  Was looking at UHF / VHF / 1.2GHz for an Icom IC-9700 to start with.  Newer neighborhood, so no trees of any substantial height yet. There was a dish on the roof originally, but it blew over, broke off, came down in a storm last year.

Was looking at something like this (Commdeck mount):

To mount a Diamond X6000A up near the peak, but it is a 10.5' mast (looks nothing like a TV antenna).  Anyone make a fake fiberglass yagi looking TV antenna I could hide the dipole with?

Another option could have been a Ventenna, but they stopped  taking orders the other day.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#27]
What I've ended up doing with our HOA is using a wind sock pole from Jackite. No one said anything anyway but I have a 24' mast that I put one of their $13 wind socks on. But it works great for my inverted v.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The whole underside of my roof decking is coated in radiant barrier.  The gutter / wire type antennas I gather are for HF.  Was looking at UHF / VHF / 1.2GHz for an Icom IC-9700 to start with.  Newer neighborhood, so no trees of any substantial height yet. There was a dish on the roof originally, but it blew over, broke off, came down in a storm last year.
y.
View Quote

What does the HOA say about items in The backyard that can’t be seen from the front?

If they dont care about the backside just use something like this

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/mfj-1754
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Tag... I have my ticket and a few Yaesu HT, but far from an Elmer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2021 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Can usually get into Texas, if enough of you guys have Hf gear. Hopefully we will escape enemy territory this year
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Look at an Ed Fong J-Pole.  (Should be the 1st project after buying an HT.)

The original Ed Fong Dual Band VHF/UHF 70cm/2m J-Pole PVC Pipe Antenna : Eye-On-Stuff

Zip tie it onto the vertical tube of a DirecTV dish mount.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Tag... I have my ticket and a few Yaesu HT, but far from an Elmer.
View Quote

I'm no Elmer either, but I can read and search the internet like nobody's business. (Sometimes, I search for HAM radio stuff too!)

I think a group that's focus is building/test it and see if it works/go use it , would be a lot of fun.

I'm going to visit the local library, and se if they are even letting groups in to use the rooms.  Might have to set this up on Discord.

Would be cool if we could put something together for Field Day 2021....
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Maybe this will work.  Create CLP-5130-2N (105-1300MHz) log periodic dipole array.  Looks enough like a TV yagi that I could mount and claim it is for TV.

Just would need to mount it sideways to get the right polarization.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm in and interested in multiple modes of communications.  Also looking to test GoTennas.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 1:05:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Look at an Ed Fong J-Pole.  (Should be the 1st project after buying an HT.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtLEj1f773c

Zip tie it onto the vertical tube of a DirecTV dish mount.
View Quote

My Ed Fong is attached to the top of my back porch, so it's hard to see from the street. I've easily hit a repeater 22 miles away.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Can usually get into Texas, if enough of you guys have Hf gear. Hopefully we will escape enemy territory this year
View Quote

@bigtwinlvr what area are you thinking for relocating? Looks like a few CO guys are heading to Texas.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:24:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Interested
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

@bigtwinlvr what area are you thinking for relocating? Looks like a few CO guys are heading to Texas.
View Quote

Northern Texas at this point. The price hikes are starting to make us leery though
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I take my Technician exam next week
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I take my Technician exam next week
View Quote
Good luck. If you're studying, might as well go to general. HF is where the fun begins.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to try to set up something in the Flower Mound area for March or April.  Meet & Greet,... build an Ed Fong, talk about some sort of real-world activity that doesn't involve fantasizing about being EMCOMM for the PD.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:46:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm going to try to set up something in the Flower Mound area for March or April.  Meet & Greet,... build an Ed Fong, talk about some sort of real-world activity that doesn't involve fantasizing about being EMCOMM for the PD.
View Quote

How about  trying to work the ISS as a meetup?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:21:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm down with that!

Attachment Attached File

Looks like it gets above 45° every so often. I say we build an antenna with some gain, and try to light it up one AM!
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm interested - tech license here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm in the Houston area sort of but I'm contemplating regional comms with other Texans. If anyone in y'all's group has an HF rig I'd like to hear what they are doing to communicate within say 300 miles. I think I'm going to build a 40m inverted V for NVIS and see if that does the trick.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:52:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I'm in the Houston area sort of but I'm contemplating regional comms with other Texans. If anyone in y'all's group has an HF rig I'd like to hear what they are doing to communicate within say 300 miles. I think I'm going to build a 40m inverted V for NVIS and see if that does the trick.
View Quote
I'm just outside Houston but I can communicate as close as 5 miles or as far as Europe on my set up. Portable and fixed.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:16:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm just outside Houston but I can communicate as close as 5 miles or as far as Europe on my set up. Portable and fixed.
View Quote

Well, we're waiting...

Interested to hear what you use antenna wise. I'm trying to get away without an antenna tuner.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, we're waiting...

Interested to hear what you use antenna wise. I'm trying to get away without an antenna tuner.
View Quote
Base station is a 7300 and a home built EFHW. 133' or so of 14g insulated strand and a 49:1 unun. It's a 10-80 but my LDG can tune in 160. I have it in an inverter V using a Jackite fiberglass mast. Peak was at 28', soon to be 31'. I've talked to deep Eastern Europe, South America and have heard Australia/Asia just couldn't get them.

Portable is a Yaesu 891 and I have a 30' Honolulu EARC EFHW with a 9:1. I need to make a smidge longer to work on 40. But it works like a champ on 20 and up. Also use a WRC. I haven't tried it locally yet. Need to do so though.

The first one is supposedly tunerless. But I still use one. The plans are available on the web. I use a tuner with the others as well. It isn't that big of deal to hook up my LDG and I have an FC50 permanently mated to my 891.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:49:31 PM EDT
[#49]
If we ever get back to the area I'd join.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:17:52 AM EDT
[#50]
After recent events, I’d suggest a battery box build party of some sort.

Everyone shows up with their choice of battery, box, receptacles, switches, etc and gets going.

Good way to (possibly) introduce ham to folks who may not otherwise be exposed.

Yes - not specifically ham related but, hams often build such things for themselves anyway.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top