Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2018 7:26:01 PM EDT
Looking for a decent range in the area while I'm here for work. I don't need anything fancy just somewhere to go plink on occasion. If you frequent Strickland is it Ok? If not what's decent in the area that doesn't charge an arm and a leg?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Strickland is OK. Saturdays and Sundays are a bit of a mad house. Try Volusia Top Gun just west of I95 on International Blvd.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Indoor range at $22/hr, no thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Strickland is OK. Saturdays and Sundays are a bit of a mad house. Try Volusia Top Gun just west of I95 on International Blvd.
View Quote
I have been to Strickland and I am not a fan

no rapid fire for one

you could drive to

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recarea/?recid=40236

not supervised - but during the week not much traffic at all
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I have been to Strickland and I am not a fan

no rapid fire for one

you could drive to
I
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recarea/?recid=40236

not supervised - but during the week not much traffic at all
View Quote
Thanks, that one is less than an hour from me so not too bad at all. I don't necessarily need rapid fire all the time though, is there anything else that keeps you away from Strickland?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 10:55:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I live just south of where you are working and If your time permits, I'm willing to take you to the private range I belong to at no charge.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I live just south of where you are working and If your time permits, I'm willing to take you to the private range I belong to at no charge.
View Quote
I would definitely take you up on that. Especially of its quiet there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:33:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Strickland isn't that awful.  If you just need to get some basic trigger time, it's not bad for the $10 or whatever it is now.

It does have a few nice 100 yard lanes.  Aside from the rapid fire rules, it's not a bad place to shoot.  The "cold" breaks are fairly well-spaced and they pay close attention to safety, which is nice.

I moved out of the area, and I'm glad I have access to what I do have since I have MGs, but there are days I wish I had easy and cheap access to Strickland's 100 yard bays to zero some of my longer-range rifles.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 2:43:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I like Stricklands for introducing new shooters, function testing or zeroing new firearms/optics, and those times when I need a KD paper range.

The major draw backs are the no "rapid fire" rule and not being able to draw from a holster.  Both of which I was able to do at the old Strickland range before it moved to the new location.

I was just there on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I like Stricklands for introducing new shooters, function testing or zeroing new firearms/optics, and those times when I need a KD paper range.

The major draw backs are the no "rapid fire" rule and not being able to draw from a holster.  Both of which I was able to do at the old Strickland range before it moved to the new location.

I was just there on Tuesday.
View Quote
Good info, thanks!

ETA: You too David.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I shoot at Strickland quite often, both at the old location, and the present one.  Remember, it's a public range, so you'll get all kinds there.  The RSOs are strict, but they have to be.  Follow the rules, keep your head on a swivel, and  you'll be fine.  $10 to shoot at a pretty nice facility (open area, restrooms, plenty of room to move around), isn't that bad.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 7:52:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I would definitely take you up on that. Especially of its quiet there.
View Quote
I received your message...we can do this.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I have sent the OP several messages and texts to the number he provided and as of yet...no reply.
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember it being a nice range, but I think the last time I was there was close to 10 years ago now. That's where I test-fired my first AR build.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top