Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Posted: 6/10/2021 11:45:39 PM EDT
Ran out of my house and saw one, possibly two jets with afterburner, flashing red light(s) about 11:30PM. Headed NNW. Yellow exhaust, sounded like a rocket. At one point I thought I saw two yellow flames, echelon formation.

Buddy in neighborhood texted me at the same time about this. Said he saw it "banking hard."

Could it have been fighters stopping for fuel at Rickenbacker, giving the tower at Columbus Airport a show?

Not drinking.

Link Posted: 6/10/2021 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Heard nothing
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 9:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Not in your AO, so I saw nothing.  But having been an enlisted guy on a fighter base, we used to go out, park on perimeter road, and just lay on the hoods of our cars to watch the 16's during our night ops week.  Combat departures and quad launches were the best.  It never got old.  Didn't matter what base we were on, who you were talking to or what you were doing, if we were outside and they took off in full burner at night, we stopped and watched.  Nearly 20 years later, I still watch the fly boys go over today.  Typically a 130 or C5, but around here, they fly low and bank hard.  

BTW, if you ever get the opportunity to fly, take it!  Even a 130.  Not many people get an hour or so at the controls of an F16.  Lawn dart sure, but a 10g, supersonic incentive flight over the Nevada desert, what an incredible experience!
Link Posted: 6/11/2021 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not in your AO, so I saw nothing.  But having been an enlisted guy on a fighter base, we used to go out, park on perimeter road, and just lay on the hoods of our cars to watch the 16's during our night ops week.  Combat departures and quad launches were the best.  It never got old.  Didn't matter what base we were on, who you were talking to or what you were doing, if we were outside and they took off in full burner at night, we stopped and watched.  Nearly 20 years later, I still watch the fly boys go over today.  Typically a 130 or C5, but around here, they fly low and bank hard.  

BTW, if you ever get the opportunity to fly, take it!  Even a 130.  Not many people get an hour or so at the controls of an F16.  Lawn dart sure, but a 10g, supersonic incentive flight over the Nevada desert, what an incredible experience!
View Quote

@AFCarbon15

“Vader” out of the Youngstown Reserve Base?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't been to work since Wednesday, so no intel on what has stopped at Rick. But it isn't too uncommon and they like to take advantage of the lower traffic there to do afterburner takeoffs and light aerobatics.

I've sat out on the pad in a lawn chair many lunch breaks.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top