Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2021 4:24:40 PM EDT
This was one of the first places i shot a gun .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to go all the time.

Evenings after work, weekends.  It was a good range and I knew a couple of the range officers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I never went myself but I remember it well as you could hear the shooting going on from the Old Bethpage Village Restoration. Just like out east by Horseblock Road.

I go biking occasionally up Spagnoli from NY-110 past the old site. Not sure if it has been developed yet. The rest of the area is all industrial park now. They put a traffic light in on Spagnoli about two years ago due to the increased traffic volume from all the new buildings. I go as far as Winding Road and then down past the the Fire Service/EMS Academy and down Round Swamp Road.

Next time I take a trip on Spagnoli I'll have to take a closer look.

Link Posted: 6/21/2021 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/21/2021 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots of things have changed in twenty years....lots of things.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
That is one place I miss alot!

Quoted:
Next time I take a trip on Spagnoli I'll have to take a closer look.

View Quote

Its nothing but a sand pit!
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Absolutely.  Grew up in Greenlawn and the Huntington range was the "local" place to shoot.
When I got into "other than hunting" rifles, my buddies and I would make the trip out to Calverton. (Is that range still open? I moved to the Carolinas back in the 90's)
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 9:59:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I remember that place. Its still a sand pit. pass through that area often. I rented a building in Plainview few years ago. They built up that whole area. That town of oyster bay refuse center is close down and now overgrown.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 1:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Been there many times!  Wish we still had an outdoor range that close by.

Bill
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Absolutely.  Grew up in Greenlawn and the Huntington range was the "local" place to shoot.
When I got into "other than hunting" rifles, my buddies and I would make the trip out to Calverton. (Is that range still open? I moved to the Carolinas back in the 90's)
View Quote

Calverton is alive and well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2021 4:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear!  I've got lots of great memories going back to the early 90s!
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Im also a former member there. i have my old membership cards from there somewhere in my collection of stuff. that was my go to place, i miss it, even the "you can only load one round at a time and slow fire" during hunting season.
Link Posted: 7/25/2021 3:38:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Use to shoot there in the 80's. My dad had a Huntington address and my license was at his house. I lived in NYC and got the 'resident' rate.  :)

As I recall they were a bit stuffy, but safe shooting was a priority. Unlike the sand pit further east.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I shot my first firearm at the Huntington Range, brother had turned 12 and he was gifted a Mossberg .22wmr Chuckster.
He was 12, I was 10, father waved me to the firing point and let me have a shot.... then we'd take a trip to Lesley Edelman's.

This was probably 1972-ish

Great time, nice range... not many people there at that time, it was in May as my brother's birthday was late April.

I also just was gifted my fathers Dan Wesson W12, which I was with him when he purchased at Silhouette Arms, don't remember the town the store was in.
The man was a African Big-game handgun hunter who's store was endlessly facinating!

Another great store was Nimrod's!
Crabby guy, fantastic gunsmith and he liked kids.
Bought my first centerfire rifle from him.

All the best
Billy
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I shot my first firearm at the Huntington Range, brother had turned 12 and he was gifted a Mossberg .22wmr Chuckster.
He was 12, I was 10, father waved me to the firing point and let me have a shot.... then we'd take a trip to Lesley Edelman's.

This was probably 1972-ish

Great time, nice range... not many people there at that time, it was in May as my brother's birthday was late April.

I also just was gifted my fathers Dan Wesson W12, which I was with him when he purchased at Silhouette Arms, don't remember the town the store was in.
The man was a African Big-game handgun hunter who's store was endlessly facinating!

Another great store was Nimrod's!
Crabby guy, fantastic gunsmith and he liked kids.
Bought my first centerfire rifle from him.

All the best
Billy
View Quote

I remember "House of Nimrod" on Mineola Ave, the guy had a ton of black rifles for sale, lots of HK stuff.
I heard a rumor he got into some kind of firearms related legal trouble forcing him out of business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top