Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2021 10:42:31 AM EDT
I have a pre ban Bushy I'd like to have refinished/restored to it's original finish. There are also some scratches/etc I'd like removed. May have been painted or had some cheap finish applied, it just looks like shit.

Who does this in Ct? What's the process, just drop it off and wait for the call?

Recommendations for specific shops?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#1]
So you have a few options.

1. Strip it and re-anodize. This is the most "true" to the original finish, but honestly you run a very real risk of ending up with out-of-spec dimensions. The anodizing is a surface coating that, when stripped off, takes off some metal underneath. Then when you re-anodize it the shop will have to do it just right, not too thick or too thin, to try to approximate the original coating method. I've seen it done really really well and really really badly.
2. Cerakote. This is the easiest option and you can color match pretty well to older anodizing.
3. Leave it alone. Unless your finish is completely worn out it's not going to be anything but a visual distraction. The more you use it the more it will wear.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So you have a few options.

1. Strip it and re-anodize. This is the most "true" to the original finish, but honestly you run a very real risk of ending up with out-of-spec dimensions. The anodizing is a surface coating that, when stripped off, takes off some metal underneath. Then when you re-anodize it the shop will have to do it just right, not too thick or too thin, to try to approximate the original coating method. I've seen it done really really well and really really badly.
2. Cerakote. This is the easiest option and you can color match pretty well to older anodizing.
3. Leave it alone. Unless your finish is completely worn out it's not going to be anything but a visual distraction. The more you use it the more it will wear.
View Quote

Excellent response, much appreciated.

At this point I'm considering the Cerakote option, are there shops that will prep the surface and apply cerakote that you would recommend?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:10:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I know of a few people who've used Liberty Coatings - they have an FFL so they do drop-off/pick up services. I did not have good luck with them (worked out a drop-off on my lunch break, showed up, they were closed for lunch completely) and ended up using an Aervoe combination instead. That said, Liberty did the cerakoting for Colt as well as several other large manufacturers.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Drop it off at JoJo's.  Can't go wrong there.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Anodized is best! Helps with strength. How much it helps - I don’t know.

Madpig does nice work - he Cerakotes , no anodizing by him

Connecticut anodizing in Stratford- I have no experience with them. They have an ffl
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I had 8 lowers Cerakoted by Mad Pig Customs 5 or 6 years ago. They did awesome work and they all look great still.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
hows tek arms in manchester?  i think they cerakote
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I had some really good results with Brownells Alumahyde, and Duracoat.
A light scuff, degrease, Spray. No baking needed.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#10]
The best stuff I've seen. Sprays ultra thin.

https://molyresin.com/
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

John Norrell is legendary so....
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Anodized layers are measured in tenths of mils. Cerakote is measured in thousandths. If you think anodizing will mess with your tolerances, what do you think Cerakote will do? (The actual answer is not to really worry )

This is the correct answer. Moly Resin is the Kipper’s Knickers!
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#13]
mils and thousandths are the same.
1 mil = .001"
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Black anodize will build up about .0005.  hard coat even more. It also penatrates so if you strip it it can remove too much material. I have seen parts they forgot in the tank. Wood suck if it was an m16 reciver
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:52:34 PM EDT
[#15]
My research says anodizing strengthens the material- I had my receiver anodized
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:08:02 PM EDT
[#16]
edit - nope let's not go there....modrapos
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My research says anodizing strengthens the material- I had my receiver anodized
View Quote

Yes, anodizing strengthens the wear resistance of the outer layers, similar to surface hardening. This is great for an AR lower as it has a lot of mechanical points which see a great deal of friction. All the interfaces with trigger pins, takedown pins, detents, bolt catch, mag release, etc, are points of wear.

Both Cerakote and Moly resin will impart a surface hardness greater than that of Type 3 alone.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
edit - nope let's not go there....modrapos
View Quote

What did I write. Wasn't it something about leaving parts in the strip tank?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:32:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:not at all
View Quote

Damnit, now I want to know
@Leon82 you share?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:05:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Leon82 you share?
View Quote

Sorry. I don't member fully and I don't want to invite the wrath of the moderation
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:29:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

@Leon82 you share?
View Quote

Judging by the stuff I was getting he was out his mind
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I have an out of speck preban lower that 3 different uppers don't fit.

JoJo's or Delta to make it fit?  Any other options?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:47:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

What part doesn't fit? Does the front lug fit in the slot?. Some lowers have an undercut behind the rear pin. I had a rock river that did not have it. I chamfered the rear lug on the upper and it fits, tightly.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What part doesn't fit? Does the front lug fit in the slot?. Some lowers have an undercut behind the rear pin. I had a rock river that did not have it. I chamfered the rear lug on the upper and it fits, tightly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have always just modified the upper as needed. I’ve heard of companies that will “blueprint” a lower but couldn’t point you to anyone.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I have always just modified the upper as needed. I’ve heard of companies that will “blueprint” a lower but couldn’t point you to anyone.
View Quote

That would be what I would do- modify the upper
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 1:04:20 AM EDT
[#27]
If you dont mind shipping, the Wilson Combat Tuff Coat is prettty amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top