Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Utah
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2020 12:59:38 AM EDT
I drove out west past Eagle Mountain tonight to play with my new PVS-14 and try to sight in my IR lasers. It was moderately successful, but I couldn't get the last few inches dialed in without a spotter. My fiancee does great on the spotting scope during daylight hours, but we only have one PVS-14 so I was zeroing by myself.

Does anyone else in the area have night vision and some experience shooting at night and zeroing at night? I feel like it would be so much easier with someone else, and fun. And it feels good to sneak out to the countryside at night and get out of the house.

Also, have you tried to wear a PVS-14 with a full face respirator?
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:09:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you using an optic as well? What IR laser are you using, does it also have a daylight visible laser?

On mine I just centered the daylight laser on the dot of my daytime optic.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 1:57:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don’t have a visible setting on your laser you can still zero it to your red dot as bluewidow said above. Just pick a spot out to 200y or so while co-witnessing.

If your dot doesn’t have an IR setting check out 30mm 720nm or 760nm IR filters to screw into objective lense on PVS-14. Don’t over think it, IR laser is really only useful out to 200y on a man size target ime.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 11:34:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I was trying to zero around dusk by putting the laser on my optic but I have a 1.5x-6x LPVO on there and it just wasn’t happening. My target was a six inch steel swinger that had worked great for zeroing during daylight but not so much at night.

Maybe next time I can be behind the rifle at dusk, my girlfriend can be wearing the PVS-14 and she can direct my laser onto the target while I keep it visually aligned. That will probably work better than switching back and forth myself.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#4]
What rail/laser interface combo are you using?  If you have a combo that has standard offset dimensions, You could buy the glint tape zero targets here.

I thought about buying them as a back up if the "put the dot and laser on something over yonder and adjust the laser till they meet" did not work.  At dusk, I'm able to see a few hundred yards with this method and have an accurate zero on multiple rifles
Page Hometown » Utah
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top