Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 9:03:24 AM EDT
I bought a Weatherby Vanguard about a year and a half ago when they were being closed out and clearanced for $250. I wanted a different caliber but 30-06 was all they had left and I’d be happy with that. So I bought it.

Fast forward to today and I still haven’t fired it because I didn’t have a scope to put on it. Well, the scope comes in tomorrow.

I have a FAT wrench for the torque and I have a handful of those mini bubble levels that you use to level picture frames. I can probably cobble some thing together to level the contraption.

I don’t have one of those cool mounting kits that lets me ensure the rings are straight. But I don’t really want to buy one because this is the first time in my life I’ll have to mount a scope and I likely won’t have to do it but maybe another two times in my life.

Are they really necessary? If so, can I rent it from someone so I can get this thing mounted?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Got a decent scrap yard or steel place around you?  Go and see if you can buy a 1-2' one inch diameter steel rod, preferably chrome plated or SS.  Then you can not only ensure your rings are perfectly aligned, you can lap them for surface contact.  Brand new, it's about $12 from McMaster, should be a lot cheaper if you can find a piece of surplus cutoff.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both, a ring alignment tool and a scope leveling tool.

I'm in Ooltewah. PM me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top