Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2017 2:47:05 PM EDT
I'm debating a move to this county and would like to get some information / experiences about the area.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I lived there some years ago. What are you looking to learn about it?
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 4:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]
General opinion of the area? Good place to shoot (long range a plus)?
Link Posted: 12/31/2017 1:05:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Specifically looking at Lewiston and the surrounding area. General opinion of the area? How's air quality with the paper factory there? Good place to shoot (long range a plus)?
View Quote
Lewiston is...meh OK. I've lived in nicer places, but it's OK. The area outside of Lewiston is mo betta. The mill stinks, especially when there's an inversion in the winter. The Waha and Forest area is nice.

You can shoot long range on any Forest Service or BLM lands. Getting to them from Lewiston involves a bit of a drive. The Snake River breaks west of Cottonwood used to be about the closest that I know of.

Is there a specific reason you're considering Lewiston? Job or something?
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I’m in Latah county just to the north. Live in Moscow. It’s 40 minutes north of Lewiston, but I drive down all the time. The mill does stink, but told residents become sort of nose blind to it. If you live further up the hill it’s unnoticeable. Lewiston and Clarkston have more people and shopping than Moscow, but Moscow is cooler (both meanings of the term). Lewiston is more conservative than Moscow. Better fishing too. PM me with any specific questions.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I am also in Latah county to the north, I spent a couple summers working out of Lewiston though.I much prefer the Moscow area as well.
There is a shooting range in Lapwai that is decent,I drive down occasionally but generally I just head to public land in Latah county because it is more convenient.
Link Posted: 2/23/2018 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like I should expand my search for a place to live.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I also live to the north of Lewiston, in Moscow   it pretty much what has been said before me   The mill stinks, even to the point, that if the wind blows right you can small it here.  but thats only a day or two out of the year

dont know about any formal shoot ranges.  Just go east to the woods.   Lewiston is conservative, while Moscow, being a College town is more liberal.  
Damn hot in the summer, down in that valley.  we are always 10 degrees cooler up here.

Didn't know there were so many members here in Moscow
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 10:47:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I also live to the north of Lewiston, in Moscow   it pretty much what has been said before me   The mill stinks, even to the point, that if the wind blows right you can small it here.  but thats only a day or two out of the year

dont know about any formal shoot ranges.  Just go east to the woods.   Lewiston is conservative, while Moscow, being a College town is more liberal.  
Damn hot in the summer, down in that valley.  we are always 10 degrees cooler up here.

Didn't know there were so many members here in Moscow
View Quote
I can think of 2-3 more besides myself in Moscow.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 4:12:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Already mentioned this in another similar thread.  We live in NPC, about 15 miles east of Lewiston.  Moved here a little over 2 years ago.  I'd heard all about how bad the mill stinks.  I think that's way overblown.  Yes, it can smell badly.  But it's only relatively near the mill and it's maybe a day or two a week, if that.  The odor is pretty localized.  The first 6 months I lived in an RV park in Clarkston right at the confluence.  Rarely smelled the mill.   I wouldn't let that discourage you.

Yes, it is hot in the valley.  On the other hand, when people in Moscow are shoveling 8" of snow off their driveways, people in the valley are saying, "'what snow?"  Decent shopping, low unemployment, plenty of jobs depending on your skills.  I shoot at the Lewis Clark Wildlife Club just because it's close.  I haven't found the best places on public land to shoot just yet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Already mentioned this in another similar thread.  We live in NPC, about 15 miles east of Lewiston.  Moved here a little over 2 years ago.  I'd heard all about how bad the mill stinks.  I think that's way overblown.  Yes, it can smell badly.  But it's only relatively near the mill and it's maybe a day or two a week, if that.  The odor is pretty localized.  The first 6 months I lived in an RV park in Clarkston right at the confluence.  Rarely smelled the mill.   I wouldn't let that discourage you.

Yes, it is hot in the valley.  On the other hand, when people in Moscow are shoveling 8" of snow off their driveways, people in the valley are saying, "'what snow?"  Decent shopping, low unemployment, plenty of jobs depending on your skills.  I shoot at the Lewis Clark Wildlife Club just because it's close.  I haven't found the best places on public land to shoot just yet.
View Quote
what/where is NPC?   That is a nice RV park  Stayed there in 2001, when i was living in texas and looking for a job up this way
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 11:53:09 AM EDT
[#11]
^Nez Perce County. It shares a border with WA in the northern part of the state.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Doh!!!  As soon as I went to open this thread it dawned on me.

Hell, I live in Moscow.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Uh...no.

Every time I drive to Lewiston I smell that poison. Every, single, time.

It is localized around only 90% of Lewiston, so that’s good I guess.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Another call-in from Moscow.  I vastly prefer Moscow, although the gardening season is a month longer on either end of the seasons in the valley.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, seems like everyone is from up north. Will have to check out that area. Still haven't made it up there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#16]
http://boomershoot.org/ once a year, stop by
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:53:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not everyone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow, seems like everyone is from up north. Will have to check out that area. Still haven't made it up there.
Not everyone.
I'm sorry.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Uh...no.

Every time I drive to Lewiston I smell that poison. Every, single, time.

It is localized around only 90% of Lewiston, so that’s good I guess.
View Quote
Uh...yes.

And I don't just visit occasionally.  I live and work in the area and drive right by the mill 5 days a week.  As a matter of fact, it seems the smell from the mill is less and less frequent, especially over the past several months.  I've heard thru the local news they're doing a lot of upgrades out there so maybe part of that is/has been equipment to mitigate the odor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top