Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2021 7:31:48 PM EDT
We have trees, bushes and vines here that I'm not familiar with but I figure you guys know them all.  

This is the one I'm most curious about.  The birds or other critters don't seem to eat them so I'm guessing they are toxic.  They start out green then phase into a red and finally into a super dark purple/black color.  The inside looks sort of like a grape.

Anyone know?

Link Posted: 8/16/2021 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Those are muscadines, a type of wild grape common across the south. Quite a fruitful vine you have there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 7:38:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Muscadine
Link
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, yep, what they said.

Good for making wine or jam with. I'm surprised that the critters haven't had their way with them yet!
The insides are mildly sweet with seeds, and the skin is sour as Billy Blue Blazes!!!

Try them. But they are a bit of an acquired taste.....

ETA: The riper they are the more palatable they become. Look for the dark-dark ones, and if they appear to be overly ripe, so much the better. A bit like blackberries.
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm......interesting.  Thanks!

There seems to be quite a few of them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#5]
So I tried one so hopefully you guys are right or it's for me.

Emu, you were right about the skin, it's pretty sour.  The inside looks and tastes just like a grape.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Muscadines.  As a kid, I've eaten them until I got sick.

Make sure they're ripe before eating them raw.  They have a unique taste and make a wonderful wine and a pretty good jelly.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Muscadine, scuppernongs, fox grapes, all the same pretty much. Deer love them, I've seen deer standing on their back legs reaching as far up into a vine as they can to get to them. I have an area on my property that is so full of them the vines have become a nuisance, I pulled a couple miles worth out of the trees a couple of years ago because they were so thick the trees were suffering.  They can be cultivated, one of my neighbors has a trellis full that he makes wine from every year.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have some of those as well.  I let the deer eat them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:16:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I tried one so hopefully you guys are right or it's for me.

Emu, you were right about the skin, it's pretty sour.  The inside looks and tastes just like a grape.
View Quote

Yepper! Now you know what muscadines are all about. If you go to a big liquor store you can probably find some muscadine wine, but be assured, they sweeten the dog stew out of it to make it drinkable!
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Not a fan of sweet wines.  I'm not schooled in the jelly and jam arts so other than grabbing one on the way down the driveway to get the mail I'll probably let the deer eat what they want.  We don't have that many deer cruising around so there's plenty for each of them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The deer eat mine as fast as they fall. Biggest vine is running through and up about four trees and is about 3" or more across at the ground.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top