Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2020 11:11:27 AM EDT
Or know a SoCal divorce attorney that does free consults?

I have questions...

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 4:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Basic info

IANAL but I have been divorced.  Sorry about your troubles, hope it all works out.

For my divorce we used one attorney, papers are filed, you negotiate/agree on how to split assets, retirement, real estate, the lawyer draws it up, you both sign, it goes into the court system and six months later (may be affected by pandemic) you're divorced.  Whatever you agree to the courts still have to approve it, so if the settlement looks unfair you run the risk of rejection by the courts.

Do you have specific questions?

eta Pretty sure our initial consult was free.

eta Uncontested divorce is WAY cheaper.  Filing fees and basic lawyer and paralegal costs.  Attorneys ain't cheap and they charge by the quarter hour IIRC.   So it's best to work things out and get your shit together before contacting them for even the smallest thing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Basic info

IANAL but I have been divorced.  Sorry about your troubles, hope it all works out.

For my divorce we used one attorney, papers are filed, you negotiate/agree on how to split assets, retirement, real estate, the lawyer draws it up, you both sign, it goes into the court system and six months later (may be affected by pandemic) you're divorced.  Whatever you agree to the courts still have to approve it, so if the settlement looks unfair you run the risk of rejection by the courts.

Do you have specific questions?

eta Pretty sure our initial consult was free.

eta Uncontested divorce is WAY cheaper.  Filing fees and basic lawyer and paralegal costs.  Attorneys ain't cheap and they charge by the quarter hour IIRC.   So it's best to work things out and get your shit together before contacting them for even the smallest thing.
View Quote

Yeah -- I had specific questions - I'll PM you
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I should say that my questions involve the use of the pre-nup in the divorce process.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh -- sure -- all your lives are perfect....
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine was 40 or so years ago.  Things have probably changed since then.
Link Posted: 8/19/2020 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Mine was 40 or so years ago.  Things have probably changed since then.
View Quote

Most definitely.  Thanks though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2020 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]
surprisingly, COSTCO doesn't offer divorce legal services.    .....but that's where I bought the ring
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I did my own uncontested divorce 5 years ago. No lawyers at all.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ended up using a place called THE DOCUMENT PEOPLE for five-bills.   Not lawyers, they're legal aides I guess.   So far, so good.   My wife is being served as we speak.  Hopefully she cooperates and all goes smooth.  I did a lot of research before I called TDP, and when I did I had a LOT of questions, and they answered them all (correctly) so I felt comfortable that they would help me over the humps for the few things I didn't know.

Long story short, I was over thinking it and trying to make it way more complicated than it needed to be, and TDP helped show me how many things I DIDN'T have to fill out that I thought I did.   It was worth it.   If I had had to add another zero to that cost, I would not have been happy.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I ended up using a place called THE DOCUMENT PEOPLE for five-bills.   Not lawyers, they're legal aides I guess.   So far, so good.   My wife is being served as we speak.  Hopefully she cooperates and all goes smooth.  I did a lot of research before I called TDP, and when I did I had a LOT of questions, and they answered them all (correctly) so I felt comfortable that they would help me over the humps for the few things I didn't know.

Long story short, I was over thinking it and trying to make it way more complicated than it needed to be, and TDP helped show me how many things I DIDN'T have to fill out that I thought I did.   It was worth it.   If I had had to add another zero to that cost, I would not have been happy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good deal. Hell I would have gladly paid that to have them handle everything. I spent a lot of time researching, filling out forms and going to court to file them.
Still worth it though.

Good luck with the next chapter of your life. I've been a happy camper...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top