Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2021 11:10:27 AM EDT
Anyone live on the driftless area in Wisconsin? I’d like to move there and buy my forever homesteadable property. Looking for some acreage with home / outbuilding. Not having much luck. Anyone know anyone looking to sell? I’d do cash offer today for right property. Thanks

I know it’s a horrible time, but I’m too close to Kenosha
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 11:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Land prices are stupid high, and most good properties sell before hitting the market.
Good luck
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:44:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Land prices are stupid high, and most good properties sell before hitting the market.
Good luck
View Quote

Pretty much this. There are good properties out there to be had, but you have to put in the leg work.

I had been looking for a couple years in the northern portion of the driftless region with no success. Properties were getting offers before they were listed online and prices were steep. I talked to agents that were getting calls/offers in the time it took them to drive back to the office from putting the "for sale" sign up. Even the agents were having trouble coming up with new viable leads.

I expanded my search further south towards the Iowa border and got lucky and found a small farm with a lead from Facebook. I have noticed many properties for sale by owner over the last couple of years in that area so it may be worth spending some time in the area driving backroads. That will also let you get a better feel for the local vibe. Stop into the little country bars, have lunch, and just listen. I have learned alot by doing that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Western Sauk.

We are the process of starting a development (corporation) subdividing our 165a (100a woods, 65a tillable) place into 4-"40s", three with cropland, at this stage the business is to build on them and rent them out.

I could sell my place for 1.2 million (I had an offer two years ago) but looking out 10-15 years into retirement those four spots could easily top that in value.

Like someone said, land is stupid expensive and good spots like mine (dead end road, mature timber, springs, spider holes ) are even harder to find.

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:11:45 PM EDT
[#4]
good thing is a lot of houses that are contingent are back on market again due to offers failing or lack of funds.
one I wanted to look at had 4 failed offers

95% have contingencies on them now so getting on the "list" and letting the realtor tell the sellers we have cash now.

crazy time

guy down the road from me has 3 acres and just sold for $525K with nice but pretty average house and one out building. Nice houses on 10 acres are now listing for $700-800 in my area

wow and I have 40 But can't sell until I find something else
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#5]
At this point no matter where you're looking, you pretty much need to know somebody who knows someone is thinking about selling.

We got very lucky with buying our place last November; outbid 1 competitor and a counter-offer later we had it (Sauk/Richland area).
A friend of ours is a real-estate agent.

Richland is an interesting county.
Some gorgeous, secluded land and a guy can almost get lost on some of the backroads.

I can send you real estate persons info if you're interested.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By:OLO2
At this point no matter where you're looking, you pretty much need to know somebody who knows someone is thinking about selling.

We got very lucky with buying our place last November; outbid 1 competitor and a counter-offer later we had it (Sauk/Richland area).
A friend of ours is a real-estate agent.

Richland is an interesting county.
Some gorgeous, secluded land and a guy can almost get lost on some of the backroads.

I can send you real estate persons info if you're interested.
View Quote

@OLO2 thanks! Yes please pm me the info. I’m about to buy flat central land but really want hills.

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top