Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2019 10:26:31 PM EDT
Tell me about it. Looking at the general area for a possible move. Would like an area with good high schools and somewhat rural but still a reasonable commute to Lexington.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at Georgetown/Scott County. Just a straight shot down I-75 to Lexington and the surrounding area is pretty nice.

It is the fastest-growing county in Kentucky though, largely due to Toyota.

PM me if you want to talk more.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Tell me about it. Looking at the general area for a possible move. Would like an area with good high schools and somewhat rural but still a reasonable commute to Lexington.
View Quote
What part of Lexington are you commuting to?  I'm in Northern Madison County and commute to the UK/Downtown area and depending on traffic it is around 25-40 minutes.  Nicholasville/Jessamine Co. is one of the worst commutes due to traffic on Nicholasville Road.  Georgetown, Winchester and Richmond aren't bad due to the proximity to I-75 & I-64 and multiple routes into Lex.  I have no experience with Paris or Versailles but both are nice areas.  I lived in Lex for several years and moved out to get away from the congestion.  I really like Richmond but I went to college here and lived her for the past 13 years so it feels like home now.  Feel free to PM me for more info.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 7:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
I am in the Jessamine County area (born & raised ) and the commute to Lexington can be a pain.  Typical to bigger cities, the price of land drops as you increase the distance from Lexington.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Lived in Lex for over 30 years counting college. I have lived in town just to avoid the ugly commute the entire time. Our traffic is terrible for our size.

You might want to buy a house in Fayette Co and then buy some land 60 to 120 minutes away.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:23:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. Commute would be to the UK/Chandler area. Thankfully the morning commute likely won’t be too terrible because of the hour...drive home will likely be rush hour +/- though.

Still waiting to see if it’s going to work out, but just trying to do some preliminary planning to see what a move would look like for my family.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 10:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]
There is no good way to get that part of town.  There are a lot of terrible ways and a couple congested traffic ways.  Your worst option would be living by Nicholasville and driving Nicholasville/Limestone road.  Even though it is a straight shot the traffic is the worst in Lexington by far.

I occasionally end up in that area in the mornings.  Last time it took me 30 minutes to go from Harrodsburg road to Limestone using Waller avenue.  The road is not even 1 mile long!  Limestone/Nicholasville road has flexible stop lights.  In the morning you will have 4 lanes coming into town and 1 lane heading out.  In the afternoons you will have 4 lanes heading out and 1 lane heading in.  If you were on the inner loop of New Circle road and took the Nicholasville road exit, that would be one of the quicker ways to get to the area.  Otherwise you would want to go through down town, as UK is closer to downtown before you really have to deal with the Nicholasville road traffic situation of 4 incoming but 1 outgoing lanes.

Getting out of the downtown area really isn't terrible unless there an event going on at Rupp arena.  There are enough side roads to get away from all the congestion and get to a larger road.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I live inside New Circle road off Nicholasville.  We moved (this house)here because of the schools.  If you look up school ratings, for elementary, middle and High School...to get all rated well, you have a small area to choose to live in.  My yard is big enough for a garden, we can shoot bows and play ball in the yard, no HOA, and I have good neighbors.  Lots of stuff close by but in a quiet neighborhood.   Yes I would like to have acres, but that didnt work with good schools.  Maybe it would now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2019 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input.

Is BGSL the place to shoot in the area? Any wonky rules there that would make it unpleasant to shoot at? Caliber restrictions, speed, NFA friendly, etc.

@JSG
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#9]
BGSL has it's haters but you are not going to find a better place (especially for the money) unless you build it.

No 50 cal or larger
No fully automatic weapons (or bump fire stocks). Cans, SBRs, and AOWs are OK. Fully Semi Automatic is also allowed.
Ranges are closed without an RO on duty (but they are on duty most daylight hours).

If you really want to shoot full auto, we can discuss 350 acres in Richmond.

Other than those three rules, I never understand people's complaints.

If you have any specific questions, ask here or shoot me a message.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you really want to shoot full auto, we can discuss 350 acres in Richmond.
View Quote
Go on...

I'll drop you a line, thanks a bunch for the info. I appreciate it!
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is BGSL the place to shoot in the area? Any wonky rules there that would make it unpleasant to shoot at? Caliber restrictions, speed, NFA friendly, etc.

@JSG
View Quote
There's also the Sugar Creek Range in Lancaster.  It's facilities aren't as elaborate as BGSL but it's more laid back.  They've also started hosting tactical courses for some of the traveling instructors in the industry.  The owner Louis is one of us and a lot more to the AR and tactical side of things than the Fudd world.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Thank you both. Any ranges in the area open to new instructors coming in and teaching there? I’ve found it can be take some time to establish relationships with ranges in able to teach after moving to a new area depending on where they are located. Some are more open to the idea than others.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Take a look at Georgetown/Scott County. Just a straight shot down I-75 to Lexington and the surrounding area is pretty nice.

View Quote
I'm in Gtown and agree. You couldn't give me a house in Lexington, too much traffic and too many people lol.
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm in Gtown and agree. You couldn't give me a house in Lexington, too much traffic and too many people lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again. We do like the surrounding areas. I won’t live in town. Thankfully, my wife will be the only one commuting and it will likely be at 6:00-6:30am....I’m hoping the traffic won’t be as bad at that hour?
It looks like the move is going to happen at this point!
Now to figure out selling our house and finding a place there all in a few months.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank you both. Any ranges in the area open to new instructors coming in and teaching there? I’ve found it can be take some time to establish relationships with ranges in able to teach after moving to a new area depending on where they are located. Some are more open to the idea than others.
View Quote
BGSL has been open to it in the past. You would have to carry insurance and meet with the training board.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 12:46:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted: Any ranges in the area open to new instructors coming in and teaching there?
View Quote
Teaching what?
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There's also the Sugar Creek Range in Lancaster.  It's facilities aren't as elaborate as BGSL but it's more laid back.  They've also started hosting tactical courses for some of the traveling instructors in the industry.  The owner Louis is one of us and a lot more to the AR and tactical side of things than the Fudd world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@JSG
Highly recommend Sugar Creek. I've been a member since 2015.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top