Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2020 3:44:34 PM EDT
I am currently living in Hood River, but will be working in the Salem area during the week starting next month and most likely through the summer.  I was looking at the Battle Buddies / American Pioneer Corps thread in GD and couldn't find anything happening in Oregon or Washington.

I'd be available weekday evenings in Salem, or possibly weekends in Hood River if anyone else was interested in meeting up.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am currently living in Hood River, but will be working in the Salem area during the week starting next month and most likely through the summer.  I was looking at the Battle Buddies / American Pioneer Corps thread in GD and couldn't find anything happening in Oregon or Washington.

I'd be available weekday evenings in Salem, or possibly weekends in Hood River if anyone else was interested in meeting up.
View Quote
I'm in Albany.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm in Albany.
View Quote
Cool.  I will most likely start working down in Salem late this month or early next month.  If you know of some 3-6 mile hikes in the area, I'd be down to go to Albany once or twice a week.  I'll know more when I find out what my contractor is going to do schedule-wise.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]
there are some good trails in and around Mcdonald forest/ Peavy Arboretum https://cf.forestry.oregonstate.edu/sites/default/files/_ResearchForestLAYOUT30May18.pdf
I hike there all the time, you can tailor your hike to the difficultly you want. You can climb peavy peak, with is 1,000 ft elevation gain or stay in the arboretum where there is only 190 ft elevation gain. I do around 7 miles 3 times a week. I work swing shift so I doubt anyone has the funky work schedule I have.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Is Minto-Brown Island park decent to hike in?  I saw several mapped routes through there on map my hike, seems like a good option.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is Minto-Brown Island park decent to hike in?  I saw several mapped routes through there on map my hike, seems like a good option.
View Quote
Depends on what you’re looking for. The paths are almost all paved, and it’s a pretty popular place so you’ll see a lot of other people on your walk. Basically flat, very minor elevation change. Very popular with bicyclists, and sometimes they don’t pay as much attention to traffic as I’d like.  Has had on and off issues with homeless camps. The island is connected to Riverfront Park downtown via what I refer to as The Jean-Luc Picard Memorial Hobo Bridge, but gives convenient access to downtown.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I live several miles from Minto.

Its safe but there are homeless there now..camping in all the nooks and crannies.

Do carry ....

I used to walk daily there but stopped when I helped an oblivious stupid running girl from being attacked by a cougar

She actually called the police on me.

For now I just use my gym and they leave me alone on rucking with my gear on the running track.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#7]
With the stay home order right now, I dont know if anyone is still trying to get out to ruck.  I will be working at the Baskett Slough NWR, off highway 22 near Rickreall, starting some time in the next couple of weeks. There are several established trails through the refuge between 3 and 6 miles. My intention is to ruck after work since I will already be out there. If anyone wants to join in the afternoons Monday through Wednesday I'll be around most likely. Shouldn't be anyone else out there. I will update when I start rucking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top