Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2021 9:35:03 PM EDT
I heard an unconfirmed rumor that there was some shenanigans involving recently resettled folks. Anyone have any info on this?
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Specifically
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I was told that they had dropped some Afghans in CR, and that there was a civil disturbance
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Cunty Reynolds is all but begging for them.

I've not seen/heard anything this week.

Last media post that I've come across:

August 18th 2021

The Catherine McAuley Center in Cedar Rapids is the only refugee and immigrant service provider in Eastern Iowa. No Afghan immigrants have reached out to the center, but officials with the center told Iowa's News Now they will accept any refugees.

In all honesty, I generally tend to avoid news/media as it tends to further piss me off.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I really hope we don’t get them. It’s not racial thing. I just think that anyone who has religious or political views that are contrary to our constitution, can live elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I really hope we don’t get them. It’s not racial thing. I just think that anyone who has religious or political views that are contrary to our constitution, can live elsewhere.
View Quote

CR has enough issues that need sorted without adding more bullshit to the menu, in my opinion. Many thanks to IL and GA just for starters.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Ive worked in and around cr over the years, it’s gone down hill. I’ll stick to my little town.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Many thanks to IL and GA just for starters.  

View Quote

Hey don't blame me, I moved to ames
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many thanks to IL and GA just for starters.  

I can almost certainly assure you that you are not a contributing factor in the fuckey mess that is CR.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 3:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ive worked in and around cr over the years, it’s gone down hill. I’ll stick to my little town.
View Quote

I was there '12-'19 and still have friends in the area. Sure seems like downtown was on the uptick, but SW/SE side of town was headed south exponentially faster. We lived in a quiet neighborhood on the SW side until people started getting shot at the wally mart.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Most of it was okay when I was there. I stayed in hotels a lot when we working there, so lots of time at the bar. I never had any problems until 12-15. That’s why I keep to smaller towns now.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was there '12-'19 and still have friends in the area. Sure seems like downtown was on the uptick, but SW/SE side of town was headed south exponentially faster. We lived in a quiet neighborhood on the SW side until people started getting shot at the wally mart.
View Quote

Hell, people are taking bullets in all 4 quadrants these days.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]
It’s not just CR going down hill. My wife has family in the QC,  one cousin is a LEO. I hoping that the way things are changing will drive these folks back to other places.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#13]
From KCRG news page.....

Iowa is expected to receive 695 Afghan evacuees from the first group of arrivals to be resettled in the United States.

A spokesman for the Iowa Department of Human Services says the evacuees coming to Iowa will be going to the major populated area such as the Des Moines and Cedar Rapids metro areas
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:34:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I’m so glad I live in a dot on the map
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I’m so glad I live in a dot on the map
View Quote

With good reason.....

But hey.....we've only had like 4 shootings and a bank robbery thus far this week.. There isn't a problem....just ask the police chief.  

We can always make room for more rather than addressing the issues at hand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:03:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I think I mentioned before that I have spent a lot of time in the People’s Republic of Iowa City. That’s another place that has gone down hill, fast. I used to know a lot folks there, but I haven’t been there in a long time. I catch a few things on the news now and again, doesn’t sound like a place I would want to live. Heck even my little town has it’s issues. Makes a dad wonder what the future holds for his kids.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think I mentioned before that I have spent a lot of time in the People’s Republic of Iowa City. That’s another place that has gone down hill, fast. I used to know a lot folks there, but I haven’t been there in a long time. I catch a few things on the news now and again, doesn’t sound like a place I would want to live. Heck even my little town has it’s issues. Makes a dad wonder what the future holds for his kids.
View Quote

I often feel like I ought to be training my kids (particularly my son) in a variety of different fighting techniques.  He's 10

But I live in the CR area and I have heard nothing about this disturbance referenced in the OP.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I haven’t heard anything about it either, just the first mention. It’s getting harder to know what to believe.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top