Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2018 11:09:42 AM EDT
Just thinking out loud.   Looking at a few 5 acre parcels that would be suitable for small private range.  Unrestricted land in the middle of nowhere.   Ideal would be 3-5 reliable people who could come up with 2-4k cash to purchase.  details of course could be worked out.  I need a suitable place to bring my smaller children to teach them how to shoot and range safety in a better environment than the ranges here offer.    PM if you are interested.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
5 acres pretty small, hope its backed up to nat forest.

Im on 10 acres backed up to nat forest and have high ridges all around ( natural back stops ) im working on 100  yard range but have 50 already and short pistol range
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I know of the type of 5 acre lots you are talking about, and I was thinking of buying one.  I know one guy that owns two adjacent lots and he says he can go out and shoot any time, as his neighbors are OK with it, and he has an embankment to use as a backstop.  You have to know that your neighbors are OK with shooting, embankment or not.  You never know when someone might come hiking or hunting downrange.  Another couple I know owns a small lot like this in Hardy County, but they are from Northern Virginia, and not hunters.  There are people like this buying land we all would love to hunt on, then they don't allow any hunting and would complain about shots fired their way.

I was looking at some of these lots online, and wanted to go out and check some out to see if they would be suitable for shooting.  It's a great idea, but I would be very hesitant to buy land together with anyone, even family.  Consider if you got 5 guys to buy in, and it's wonderful for everyone until someone either dies or wants to cash out.  Or one guy can't come up with his share of the real estate taxes for the year, so you have to pay his share no matter what.  Lots of real estate ownership issues to consider.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:43:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know of the type of 5 acre lots you are talking about, and I was thinking of buying one.  I know one guy that owns two adjacent lots and he says he can go out and shoot any time, as his neighbors are OK with it, and he has an embankment to use as a backstop.  You have to know that your neighbors are OK with shooting, embankment or not.  You never know when someone might come hiking or hunting downrange.  Another couple I know owns a small lot like this in Hardy County, but they are from Northern Virginia, and not hunters.  There are people like this buying land we all would love to hunt on, then they don't allow any hunting and would complain about shots fired their way.

I was looking at some of these lots online, and wanted to go out and check some out to see if they would be suitable for shooting.  It's a great idea, but I would be very hesitant to buy land together with anyone, even family.  Consider if you got 5 guys to buy in, and it's wonderful for everyone until someone either dies or wants to cash out.  Or one guy can't come up with his share of the real estate taxes for the year, so you have to pay his share no matter what.  Lots of real estate ownership issues to consider.
View Quote
Agreed, all good points.   A buddy of mine in Mississippi runs a full scale range on 6 acres.   I am in the game, just seeing who else may be in as well.  Yes, details would have to be worked out, which is why I would prefer 3-5 people tops.   Figure 50-100 yards into an embankment.  If the land is unrestricted and there are no homes in the area then I am not concerned what the neighbors like.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
5 acres pretty small, hope its backed up to nat forest.

Im on 10 acres backed up to nat forest and have high ridges all around ( natural back stops ) im working on 100  yard range but have 50 already and short pistol range
View Quote
Exactly what I want to do.  Look for that lot that will "never" be built on due to topography.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#5]
When you want to do it let me know. I'm sure I can arrange a safe time to shoot at Tango Down for you.    There are RSOs there and its really safe anyway.  Unless your worried others shooting would freak them out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When you want to do it let me know. I'm sure I can arrange a safe time to shoot at Tango Down for you.    There are RSOs there and its really safe anyway.  Unless your worried others shooting would freak them out.
View Quote
Thanks brother, will holler at you.  Yes they are good but need more one on one training without others around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top