Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2020 8:01:40 PM EDT
Not much else to say, after shooting the auto selection at Central Iowa Impact, a 50cal is the last gun on my bucket list I really want the chance to shoot. I'm in Ames and I'll pay any range/ammo costs if you're close by.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got word the other day that Rangemasters in Clive has one. $25 rental, $10 per round. Not cheap but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying your own .50.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just got word the other day that Rangemasters in Clive has one. $25 rental, $10 per round. Not cheap but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying your own .50.
View Quote

That's honestly cheaper than I expected it would be. I'll have to check them out, thanks
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's honestly cheaper than I expected it would be. I'll have to check them out, thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A few of our members work there, be sure to introduce yourself.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 6:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
OP, give me a few days notice before you go. I need an excuse to drive down anyway. If I can make it I'll bring a .45-70 pistol you can shoot. Slims can tell ya what it's like.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 9:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OP, give me a few days notice before you go. I need an excuse to drive down anyway. If I can make it I'll bring a .45-70 pistol you can shoot. Slims can tell ya what it's like.
View Quote

It's an experience, that's for sure. I shot it once.

Goal is 2 rounds back to back next time, but damn it packs a punch.
Link Posted: 7/27/2020 10:42:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 2:47:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It'll be a few weeks before I can make the trip down there anyway, but I'll absolutely take you up on that. I'll shoot you a DM when I get a date figured out
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 12:09:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It'll be a few weeks before I can make the trip down there anyway, but I'll absolutely take you up on that. I'll shoot you a DM when I get a date figured out
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shit. This means I'm gonna have to shoot the 45-70 again. Back to back rounds...
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 4:17:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

$10 a round
That’s ridiculous
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

$10 a round
That’s ridiculous
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$10 a round
That’s ridiculous

By all means, feel free to spend $3000 or more on your own .50 BMG.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$10 a round
That’s ridiculous

Attachment Attached File

If you think $10 a round isn’t ridiculous, then more power to you.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 9:28:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
An indoor range capable of handling a .50 BMG round is not cheap to build or maintain with potentially inaccurate shooting down range.  You're paying for an experience that most people only do once or twice but can still brag to their friends that they have shot a .50 BMG.  A Barrett M82A1 is still my holy grail for a .50 BMG but would still be happy with a bolt-action .50 chambered in .50 Spotter-Tracer instead.  
View Quote

I've only seen a couple .50 spotter rounds. Always found them interesting. No idea where to get enough brass to make having a rifle chambered for it be worthwhile.

Shot a State Arms Big Bertha and a M82A1 at the Shooter's Roundup at Ahlman's a few years back, IIRC it was $7/round for the Big Bertha and $10 for the Barrett. Also shot a M99 for a whole lot less a couple years before that. A family friend had one at the time He just wanted reimbursed for the $4/round he paid.. "Pay to play" with a .50, even when it's cheap, isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Makes me glad I bought my own .50 finally!
Link Posted: 9/30/2020 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Huh, its just. big 30'06. Nothing to crazy about it. It is fun shooting the moving truck at 1200 meters though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 12:59:45 AM EDT
[#18]
One big difference in a fifty vs. a lesser cartridge is that the former is one you definitely need a good brake on.  Not to mention the slight discrepancy in weight of the firearms.  This thread reminds me that I need to shoot a few rounds before the temps get too low.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 1:12:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Barret M82A1, about 1,000 rounds and my own range.
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#20]
I have one of these, very accurate and fun to shoot.  But I currently do not have a place to shoot close to Ames but will after the 1st of the year.
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top