Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2021 1:40:05 PM EDT
Looking for place to retire.  Need broadband.  
What areas should I look at. What areas to avoid.  
How is area around Poteau?
Arkansas also an option
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Arkansas also an option
View Quote

Poteau is nice Heavener is little Mexico the Wister area is really clannish. If we accept you it’s one of the nicest areas in Leflore county. If we decide you will go you will not stay. Some of Southern parts of the county are the same way. Stay out of family feuds because both sides might turn on you. Pleasant valley is a high crime area. Fanshawe is remote but mostly friendly as is Red Oak. The hunting is pretty good but trophy animals are hard to come by due to poaching. Talihina is really nice area with Sardis lake which is excellent fishing Wister lake isn’t bad. Kerr and Eufalla are better catfish lakes. But also excellent crappie holes. Most Texans seem to Gravitate to Talihina Clayton area. Good luck
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:28:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks sparky, thats just the kind of info I was looking for.  I know someone around the clayton area.
Seems all the small towns have a crowd of local trouble-makers and deadbeats.
Would be nice to find a "mayberry" if they still exist.
Dont need much more than a grocery store and a walmart, and maybe a hardware store within 20-30 miles.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
The archives are currently shut down, but there was a pretty entertaining thread some time back with a guy who bought property in Pushmataha Co.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The archives are currently shut down, but there was a pretty entertaining thread some time back with a guy who bought property in Pushmataha Co.
View Quote

I don't even know where to begin on Push county! Some great hunting with a very real Good Ole Boy presence.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't even know where to begin on Push county! Some great hunting with a very real Good Ole Boy presence.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup lots of good ole boy fuckery went on. From the rancher to the DA and everyone in between. IIRC there are still videos up on youtube,
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is one of the videos, you can find the ret about this situation.

Pushmataha County Oklahoma Chief Game Warden
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:06:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Poteau is nice Heavener is little Mexico the Wister area is really clannish. If we accept you it’s one of the nicest areas in Leflore county. If we decide you will go you will not stay. Some of Southern parts of the county are the same way. Stay out of family feuds because both sides might turn on you. Pleasant valley is a high crime area. Fanshawe is remote but mostly friendly as is Red Oak. The hunting is pretty good but trophy animals are hard to come by due to poaching. Talihina is really nice area with Sardis lake which is excellent fishing Wister lake isn’t bad. Kerr and Eufalla are better catfish lakes. But also excellent crappie holes. Most Texans seem to Gravitate to Talihina Clayton area. Good luck
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Arkansas also an option

Sparky is right. The state is divided up into 4 distinct parts. The SE part, east f I35 and south of I40 is pretty clanish. If folks like you they flat out like you, if they dont, well they dont and most likely never will. People get offended way to easily and stay offended, for life.

Its not a bad place to live just pick the area carefully, some parts are more extreme about things than others.

Everything given as it is these days, I wont move.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it that bad now?
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't recommend SE Ok, we already have enough folks down here.  But if you buy in this area, just remember accent and attitude have a tremendous influence on whether you'll be accepted.  I suggest you go look in Arkansas.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 3:56:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is it that bad now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it that bad now?

Brian Kirkes is Peggy Kirkes's grandson and she was county accessor and Court clerk for years. Dane and Drew Polk are kin to half the poachers in Leflore county. I can tell you some pretty good stories on Dane from when we were kids.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:24:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m down that way every week for work. You can definitely hear the banjos when you roll through the potato hills.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I was born in OK and currently live in SW OK.  My family is from SE OK, Poteau, Monroe,  farmed and lived around Sugar Loaf Mountain.  Big, big moonshiners and outright killers back in the day.  

OP, when I retired from dot mil, I chose to buy land and live in the SW part of the state, not the SE even though I have lots of family there, that should tell you something.

I encourage you to look at the SW, lots more open space, much more friendly and zero humidity unlike the SE side.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was born in OK and currently live in SW OK.  My family is from SE OK, Poteau, Monroe,  farmed and lived around Sugar Loaf Mountain.  Big, big moonshiners and outright killers back in the day.  

OP, when I retired from dot mil, I chose to buy land and live in the SW part of the state, not the SE even though I have lots of family there, that should tell you something.

I encourage you to look at the SW, lots more open space, much more friendly and zero humidity unlike the SE side.
View Quote

Thompson's or Blaylock's?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#15]
My wife and inlaws come from Push county, and Antlers.  At least I know some folks there.  I’ve heard stories about the area.  One teen went missing years ago, and a tip finally lead them to look up in the hills.  The kids body parts or what was left of them were strewn over miles of forest road.  Speculate on what happened
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top