Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 4:15:03 PM EDT
I found a pistol I want but I’m not sure if it’s a scam, guy says he’s in Lubbock.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 5:50:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Im not in Lubbock, but if you’ll post pictures (here or in the GD) you’ll get some opinions fast.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m in Lubbock, how can I help?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m in Lubbock, how can I help?
View Quote

I found a STI pistol I want, and sent a message though another forum's system to contact seller.  I noticed the seller has 2 listings and the newer one is cheaper but his contact info has a phone number so I text that in addition to the message I sent.  I get 2 texts back from 2 different numbers which confuses me.  Guy wants me to sent the money and he will ship pistol except he really doesn't send me more photos, just the ones he posted so I keep asking for different photos which he does at one point.  This morning its more of the same, but guy won't take pistol to gun shop so I have someone to inspect before I send money.  He says he had surgery and cant go to gun shop, but has a fed ex buddy who will swing by, pickup package.

I'm at work so I cant post the texts back and forth but I think it might be a scam and I am looking for a way to get the pistol without being ripped off.  Seller claims he was LE for a Texas school system.

The STI is listed on texas gun trader, and I might end up letting it go because I am too paranoid at this point which normally I am not.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:46:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate to loose it, but here is what was posted.
https://texasguntrader.com/category/949/Rifles-for-Sale-Bolt-Action-for-Sale/listings/1872994/STI-DVC-Limited-9mm-Reduced.html
https://texasguntrader.com/category/900/Handguns-for-Sale-Pistols-for-Sale/listings/1873869/STI-DVC-Limited-9mm-Reduced.html
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:51:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Scam....

Anytime you get nothing but excuses on why a request can’t be done like a photo it’s always a scam.  Even if it was not a scam do you really want to deal with someone that refuses to take a picture of the item?

Also if the price is so good that your afraid to let anyone else see the listing because they may get it before you then that should also tell you it’s a scam.

Checklist to see if something is a scam.

1. Same listing by different accounts
2. Price is low when items like this are hot.
3. Item is not close to a metro area ( this is done to keep a large population from wanting to do a local pickup)
4. They refuse to send more photos
5. They respond with different phone numbers
6. They use broken English
7. They usually say they are LE or some other honorable profession.
8. They will only ship no local pickup.

How many of these do you see with what your trying to do.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Scam....

Anytime you get nothing but excuses on why a request can't be done like a photo it's always a scam.  Even if it was not a scam do you really want to deal with someone that refuses to take a picture of the item?

Also if the price is so good that your afraid to let anyone else see the listing because they may get it before you then that should also tell you it's a scam.

Checklist to see if something is a scam.

1. Same listing by different accounts
2. Price is low when items like this are hot.
3. Item is not close to a metro area ( this is done to keep a large population from wanting to do a local pickup)
4. They refuse to send more photos
5. They respond with different phone numbers
6. They use broken English
7. They usually say they are LE or some other honorable profession.
8. They will only ship no local pickup.

How many of these do you see with what your trying to do.
View Quote

this all of this.

if they refuse to do the most basic of things like take a photo from a different angle or write today's date on a piece of paper and take a photo of the gun. Then he is either the laziest piece of shit .001% or a scammer 99.999%

And you don't wanna deal with either of those
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#8]
By the way the biggest thing that shows  this is a scam is doing as reverse image search in google and you will see it has made its rounds to different cities and states with different phone numbers in the advert.  Also the numbers you see happen to be linked to accounts in different cities and states too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#9]
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/897232918
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:23:18 PM EDT
[#11]
That same photo is listed is all over the net, crazy.  Thanks Gents.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Just based on your desc, scam bud.  Do not fo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 3:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]
If any of you guys ever come across deal in Lubbock, and you are concerned, I’m happy to be a go-between. I have a retail gun shop here in Lubbock and happy to help.
Lone Star Shooting Sports just ask for Tom
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If any of you guys ever come across deal in Lubbock, and you are concerned, I’m happy to be a go-between. I have a retail gun shop here in Lubbock and happy to help.
View Quote

Tom is great people.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Tom is great people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom is great people.

I will second the above.

And I am in Lubbock if anybody needs anything and can't get hold of Tom.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:10:45 PM EDT
[#16]
If I it’s on TGT then it’s a scam.  Not sure what the hell is going on with that site right now but it’s like at least 3 out of every 5 ads right now is a scam.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Tom is great people.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tom is great people.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If I it’s on TGT then it’s a scam.  Not sure what the hell is going on with that site right now but it’s like at least 3 out of every 5 ads right now is a scam.
View Quote

I've noticed the same thing too.
Everything is mis-priced, $450 detective specials. $700-$800 service grade 1911's, Colt SAA'a for way too cheap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 6:47:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've noticed the same thing too.
Everything is mis-priced, $450 detective specials. $700-$800 service grade 1911's, Colt SAA'a for way too cheap.
View Quote

They didn’t put down the wrong price.  They make them low because they want someone to jump on it fast thinking they found a good deal and are afraid someone else will get it if they don’t hurry and pay for it.

Look at the OP.  He was afraid to list it because he was scared one of us would get it.  The post was obviously a scam but he wanted to believe he found a great deal and ignored several warning signs.  We had someone else post something similar about a month back. I offered to help him but he refused to list the link.  I am assuming he was afraid “I would go get the good deal he found”.  It’s all part of the scam.

By the way I am not criticizing the OP just saying how the scam works and if your not careful you will get screwed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top