Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2021 5:01:53 PM EDT
I run a small family business SW of Houston.  We sell tractors, lawn mowers, etc.  We recently started selling Cummins Home Generators.

We recently sold one to a customer in Houston off of I-10.  Here is the problem.

Large brick/concrete fence around the house.  36" wide gate.  

Here are the dimensions of the the generator.  

Weight: 1294 lbs. (587 kg)
Size: Length 94 in (2388 mm), width 34 in (864 mm), height 45.5 in (1156 mm)

That is after you take the unit off the pallet.  

Any idea who could move this thing?  We have forklift and skid steer.  Nothing we have that is strong enough to lift that weight will fit through that gate.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you need a crane. With a long enough boom they could drop it in place.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
1300 pounds distributed among 20 people is less than 70 pounds apiece...

Run an ad in Facebook promising $50 for 10 minutes of work to the first 20 people who show up at your customer's house at 9:00 AM.

Link Posted: 6/17/2021 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]
How far past the fence does it need to be?

Wrecker service might be able to do it.   Lift it off of your trailer, back up to the fence, and extend the boom out and lower the genset onto the ground.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 11:40:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Check with a commercial sign company. They lift some pretty good size signs up high and over stuff. I bought a piece of equipment was just under a ton, friend had a sign company, lifted over a building into my yard without any problems.
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:33:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Go to an equipment rental company.  They will have what you need.  Expand your business to offer FULL installation services.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Do it like a safe or hot tub move. Lay down 5/8 plywood use a couple of dollies, 4 guys, and beer after.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top