Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2021 5:05:33 PM EDT
I'm trying to track down a roughly 18"x24" piece of 3/16 or 1/4 steel plate, mild is fine but I'll take anything. My local place will only sell full or 1/2 sheets and for a half sheet of 3/16 mild they want $350!

Anyone know of a place with regular scrap or small drops?
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I*may* have a piece, it will take me a couple of days to check...where are you located?  Otherwise, check some of your local scrap/salvage yards.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I*may* have a piece, it will take me a couple of days to check...where are you located?  Otherwise, check some of your local scrap/salvage yards.
View Quote

canton but willing to drive some.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have tons of scrap that needs to go somewhere. It will be the end of the week before I can check on sheet sizes. If you need something quick check McMaster-Carr or Metal Supermarkets
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have tons of scrap that needs to go somewhere. It will be the end of the week before I can check on sheet sizes. If you need something quick check McMaster-Carr or Metal Supermarkets
View Quote

Metal supermarket is who told me $350 for a half sheet of 3/16 mild.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Have you tried Bethany Steel up on Airport Rd?  It's where I get all my stuff.  Great folks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Have you tried Bethany Steel up on Airport Rd?  It's where I get all my stuff.  Great folks.
View Quote

Yes, they are roughy the same cost as MS.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Any local scrap yards?  You are roughly 2 hrs from me...
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:00:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you call or stop by? I get the feeling they don't really track what's in their drop room or remnant racks. You really need to go there in person and poke around. Bring gloves because you're responsible for moving it to/from the scale and carrying to the front counter to pay.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Did you call or stop by? I get the feeling they don't really track what's in their drop room or remnant racks. You really need to go there in person and poke around. Bring gloves because you're responsible for moving it to/from the scale and carrying to the front counter to pay.
View Quote

He went and poked through. the only thing they have in the size i’m looking for is 14g and that’s too thin. Will warp at 800*.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll second checking scrap yards, found some great stuff for welding projects.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Metal Super markets
4301 Pleasantdale Rd, Atlanta, GA 30340

I buy a lot of scrap here, built my welding table completely from drop steel I bought there. They have a good bit of thick plate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Metal Super markets
4301 Pleasantdale Rd, Atlanta, GA 30340

I buy a lot of scrap here, built my welding table completely from drop steel I bought there. They have a good bit of thick plate.
View Quote

Thanks Luke, I reached out. I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 7:13:08 PM EDT
[#13]
An ARFCommer with an amazing shop of stuff helped me out big time. I wont out him but kudos sir and I'll post up a pic when it's done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top