Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2020 2:24:52 PM EDT
Wondering if anyone is experiencing significant delays on items being shipped to them through USPS?  I bought a pretty expensive gun a little over two weeks ago.  It was sent USPS Priority mail from dealer in Indiana to Michigan on Friday, April 17, so literally one state over.  It was supposed to be delivered to my FFL the following Monday, April 20.  It has now been almost 2 weeks and it has not been delivered to my FFL and is stuck in the "in transit" status on USPS' tracking page.  Also have a upper receiver coming in as well as a scope mount that are also extremely delayed.  Wondering if anyone else is running into issues?  The firearm being so delayed concerns me a bit since it was pretty damn expensive.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I seem to get a new carrier each day, and my mailbox is out of sequence. So yeah, I miss a lot of things.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had the same post man most days for many months.  Only two deliveries of packages recently.  Guitars strings had a one week estimate, took two weeks; new tube for a bicycle had two weeks estimated, took one week.

I think guns have to get signed off at each stop, so that can sometimes add a lot of variability to the shipping times, even pre-COVID.  At least that was my own experience.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
My son's birthday was April the 12th. He is still getting birthday cards that are post marked before the 12th.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Lots of people out "sick" at the postal distribution center.  At least that is what they told me at the post office.  Yeah, that is exactly how the said it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes I had something ship Priority almost 2 weeks ago and it just showed up an hour ago.

I have 2 packages one from AZ one from CA that shipped middle of last week and no update since Monday on tracking.  Both of these are coming Priority as well.
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Have a package that cleared customs in Chicago over a week ago and hasn't moved since.  Wife told me her work is noticing a week to two week delay on things shipping in from over seas.

Brick
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:53:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Brick:
Have a package that cleared customs in Chicago over a week ago and hasn't moved since.  Wife told me her work is noticing a week to two week delay on things shipping in from over seas.

Brick
View Quote

That's normal for that facility with customs clearance.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 12:54:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Wondering if anyone is experiencing significant delays on items being shipped to them through USPS?  I bought a pretty expensive gun a little over two weeks ago.  It was sent USPS Priority mail from dealer in Indiana to Michigan on Friday, April 17, so literally one state over.  It was supposed to be delivered to my FFL the following Monday, April 20.  It has now been almost 2 weeks and it has not been delivered to my FFL and is stuck in the "in transit" status on USPS' tracking page.  Also have a upper receiver coming in as well as a scope mount that are also extremely delayed.  Wondering if anyone else is running into issues?  The firearm being so delayed concerns me a bit since it was pretty damn expensive.
View Quote

Yes, many packages out of the several dozen sent over the past week to two have been significantly delayed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:02:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got 2 packages that were sent USPS and ordered mid-April that are just showing 'in-transit' and have had no tracking updates since 21 April.  The one order was a bit important so I ended up having to find a lower quality part locally to use until the correct part arrives.

'2 weeks', the answer for all things cerveza bug related.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:22:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep.  I was tracking 9 packages, both in and out ,since 4/17.

Over the last couple days, 3 of them have been delivered, and 3 more started showing movement.

The other 3 are still stuck in various places.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife runs an Ebay business and ships primarily USPS.   The delays have been tremendous and have been a nightmare for her.   Typically she could ship to California in four to five days.   She had a shipment to Indiana that took 27 days.   She has more pissed off customers right now then she has had for the rest of the time that she has been in business.    Customer orders on Monday, she has it in the mail on Tuesday and the customer doesn't get it for three to four weeks.   Detroit is particularly an issue right now.  A lot of her shipments get held up in Detroit and then don't seem to move forever.  Our local postmaster very recently informed her that they are starting to reroute mail through other sorting centers to avoid Detroit so it is supposed to get better.  

It is really sad how many people yell at her and claim that they have proof that she didn't ship it when she has proof that she did.  

We had some mail for work that "got lost" and took an extra two weeks to arrive.  The problem is that on any given day we can have 500K to 1M in payments in the mail.  Hold that up for a couple of weeks and it can really put a dent in your cash flow.  

Good luck and hopefully you are patient.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 2Hut8:
My wife runs an Ebay business and ships primarily USPS.   The delays have been tremendous and have been a nightmare for her.   Typically she could ship to California in four to five days.   She had a shipment to Indiana that took 27 days.   She has more pissed off customers right now then she has had for the rest of the time that she has been in business.    Customer orders on Monday, she has it in the mail on Tuesday and the customer doesn't get it for three to four weeks.   Detroit is particularly an issue right now.  A lot of her shipments get held up in Detroit and then don't seem to move forever.  Our local postmaster very recently informed her that they are starting to reroute mail through other sorting centers to avoid Detroit so it is supposed to get better.   

It is really sad how many people yell at her and claim that they have proof that she didn't ship it when she has proof that she did.   

We had some mail for work that "got lost" and took an extra two weeks to arrive.  The problem is that on any given day we can have 500K to 1M in payments in the mail.  Hold that up for a couple of weeks and it can really put a dent in your cash flow.   

Good luck and hopefully you are patient.   

2Hut8
View Quote

Yup this is the worst.  People yelling at us because we have no control over packages in USPS's care.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 6:38:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Two weeks for a letter from SW Michigan to central OH. So yeah, significant......
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:25:19 AM EDT
[#14]
My wife is waiting for material to make masks from.  It's been sitting in NY for the last week.  To say she's upset at USPS is an understatement.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:48:34 AM EDT
[#15]
I've bought a bunch of stuff over the last few weeks that has not been delivered yet.  So much stuff that I cannot remember what's coming.  It's gonna be like Christmas when as things show up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Green_Canoe:
My wife is waiting for material to make masks from.  It's been sitting in NY for the last week.  To say she's upset at USPS is an understatement.
View Quote

Mine too.  

She's had a bunch of elastic sitting in Carol Stream, IL since 4/8.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:40:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By firedog51d:
I've bought a bunch of stuff over the last few weeks that has not been delivered yet.  So much stuff that I cannot remember what's coming.  It's gonna be like Christmas when as things show up.
View Quote

I started a spreadsheet.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 2Hut8:
My wife runs an Ebay business and ships primarily USPS.   The delays have been tremendous and have been a nightmare for her.   Typically she could ship to California in four to five days.   She had a shipment to Indiana that took 27 days.   She has more pissed off customers right now then she has had for the rest of the time that she has been in business.    Customer orders on Monday, she has it in the mail on Tuesday and the customer doesn't get it for three to four weeks.   Detroit is particularly an issue right now.  A lot of her shipments get held up in Detroit and then don't seem to move forever.  Our local postmaster very recently informed her that they are starting to reroute mail through other sorting centers to avoid Detroit so it is supposed to get better.   

It is really sad how many people yell at her and claim that they have proof that she didn't ship it when she has proof that she did.   

We had some mail for work that "got lost" and took an extra two weeks to arrive.  The problem is that on any given day we can have 500K to 1M in payments in the mail.  Hold that up for a couple of weeks and it can really put a dent in your cash flow.   

Good luck and hopefully you are patient.   

2Hut8
View Quote

I'm sorry to hear.  It's unfortunate that people are so quick to throw the blame on a seller when they don't get something quick enough.  Once you drop it off at the post office, UPS, or whatever it is out of your hands.  I've heard of people harassing mail carriers too because their packages aren't arriving.  People are really being idiots.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 11:25:44 AM EDT
[#19]
My Weber flavorizer bars and Cobra invoice were not delivered properly. I would have said something to the Blonde Hair,Blue Eyed Rural Mail Carrier, but she was too dam hot.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I started a spreadsheet.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've bought a bunch of stuff over the last few weeks that has not been delivered yet.  So much stuff that I cannot remember what's coming.  It's gonna be like Christmas when as things show up.

I started a spreadsheet.  

I just had 3 things show up yesterday.  10 days on a small Amazon Prime item, 3 and 4 days on the other 2 priority mail.

UPS is behind also...waiting on some ammo I bought.
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 1:43:34 AM EDT
[#21]
According to royal oak and Madison heights posts offices,  Detroit hub/sorting is operating under 50% manning,
The most common reason is "I dint sign up to get sick and die"

I'm in and out of those two and the clawson office daily shipping the masks I'm making now.
I'm having stuff get to Hawaii and Okinawa before packages from the same group get to Nebraska.
Ive got one enroute to ft hood texas that sat in detroit for 15 days.

On the upside, the money back garuntee on the garunteed next day delivery means free shipping
Link Posted: 5/6/2020 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Text & Email Updates
Tracking History
May 5, 2020
In Transit to Next Facility
Your package is moving within the USPS network and is on track to be delivered to its final destination. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

May 4, 2020, 12:53 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
OXFORD, MS 38675

May 3, 2020, 10:40 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility

MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
May 3, 2020, 7:14 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

April 30, 2020, 3:17 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
FARMINGTON, MI 48335  

WTF is my allergy pills down south?
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:07:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Now this is what I don't like.  I got rid of a rifle and the buyer sent me a USPS Money Order for said rifle.  Obviously I won't ship the rifle to his FFL until the MO arrives.  It was supposed to arrive today and now I am seeing it is delayed.  I did tell him that it could get delayed because the USPS distribution center in Detroit has been insanely slow as of late, and recommended he use UPS or FedEx for quicker shipping.  He didn't mind a delay so hopefully no issues come up.  It just sucks.

I did think it was funny though because the firearm I mentioned in the OP got delivered pretty quick after the seller called USPS.  I informed him that the gun was stuck in transit and I was waiting on it, so he called USPS and apparently bitched them out.  Lo and behold it shows up at my FFL the next day.  Could just be a coincidence, but I found it kind of funny.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:28:38 AM EDT
[#24]

I just had 3 things show up yesterday.  10 days on a small Amazon Prime item, 3 and 4 days on the other 2 priority mail.

UPS is behind also...waiting on some ammo I bought.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mi650:
I've bought a bunch of stuff over the last few weeks that has not been delivered yet.  So much stuff that I cannot remember what's coming.  It's gonna be like Christmas when as things show up.

I started a spreadsheet.  

I just had 3 things show up yesterday.  10 days on a small Amazon Prime item, 3 and 4 days on the other 2 priority mail.

UPS is behind also...waiting on some ammo I bought.

I haven't had any issues with UPS and FedEx.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By mi650:

I haven't had any issues with UPS and FedEx.
View Quote

Same.  UPS and FedEx have been excellent.  USPS is the only one that has seen delays.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I started a spreadsheet.  

I just had 3 things show up yesterday.  10 days on a small Amazon Prime item, 3 and 4 days on the other 2 priority mail.

UPS is behind also...waiting on some ammo I bought.

I was supposed ot get ammo on Monday.  Nothing yet...I have that UPS is slow locally.  I better make contact with the seller, see what's up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:29:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Detroit is particularly an issue right now.  A lot of her shipments get held up in Detroit and then don't seem to move forever.

View Quote
I've had many packages stalled in Detroit in the past 2 weeks....like 4-7day delays. Most of my mail goes through Pontiac normally, but for whatever reason it's been going through Detroit first. And like pretty much everything else in Detroit, the USPS facility there is apparently incompetent and shitty.

On the other hand, I had an London Bridge Trading order that I placed on Sunday arrive on Tuesday via FEDEX.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 7:11:20 AM EDT
[#28]
My ammo showed up....via USPS, UPS. I guess that's why it was slow.  

I bought something off Ebay on Monday night.  Seller was in AZ, got it yesterday via UPS.  USPS really is screwed up.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a package stuck at the Detroit Distribution Center. Its been there since Sat., May 2nd. I was supposed to be delivered on Sat., May 2nd when it was originally shipped on Wed., April 29th from NJ. I've filed a Where's My Package help request and a Lost Mail Inquiry. Anything to light a fire under their ass and make the Detroit Distribution Center look as bad as possible.

FWIW, I'm a civilian Federal employee for the Army R&D centers, and I think the USPS sucks and is full of lazy asses.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Several dozen now at almost 1 month... significant delays.

UPS has a day or zero delay

Fedex has zero.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 10:10:22 AM EDT
[#31]
WTF is going on at the Allen Park distribution center?? Even during 'good times' that is a black-hole
for packages...There must be a huge mountain of them next to all the lost dryer socks!!

The USPS Postal Inspectors & US Marshals need to go in there and do some wacking!!

I bought a video card of off eBay and told the shipper to send it FedEx or UPS. The 'tards labeled
it for UPS but sent it with the load going to the Post Office....I'm never going to see that thing!!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:54:38 AM EDT
[#32]
My local post office is closed with caution tape at the driveway entrance.

Still getting mail though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2020 12:47:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SonOfHermann07:
WTF is going on at the Allen Park distribution center?? Even during 'good times' that is a black-hole
for packages.
..There must be a huge mountain of them next to all the lost dryer socks!!

The USPS Postal Inspectors & US Marshals need to go in there and do some wacking!!

I bought a video card of off eBay and told the shipper to send it FedEx or UPS. The 'tards labeled
it for UPS but sent it with the load going to the Post Office....I'm never going to see that thing!!!
View Quote

Yep. I've had one package there since mid-April, and it is now on it's way to Pittsburgh. The Detroit Distribution Center is just as bad.
I understand we may be in unprecedented times, but I've had dozens of shipments FUBARed while UPS/FedEx are doing OK.

USPS really needs to get their shit together.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 2:08:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Our psycho(Bonified loony bin, Bat shit crazy!) Rural carrier and the 4 folks in the post office get out everything that comes in.

The issue is in the hubs according to her, and other carriers we know/are related to.

Go easy on the carriers. They deal with the bullshit on both ends.

Link Posted: 5/18/2020 7:41:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yep. I've had one package there since mid-April, and it is now on it's way to Pittsburgh. The Detroit Distribution Center is just as bad.
I understand we may be in unprecedented times, but I've had dozens of shipments FUBARed while UPS/FedEx are doing OK.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The "Detroit Network Distribution Center" is actually in Allen Park. It had some COVID-19 cases and all those union rats must have quit working. I had a package the shipped from NJ and landed there. Stuck for a week until it moved to the Pontiac distribution center who moved it overnight to my local post office.

My wife used to live in Ferndale and they're local post office is primarily serviced by the Detroit distribution center. Things got messed up all the time over there even before all of this.

Originally Posted By S-28:
Our psycho(Bonified loony bin, Bat shit crazy!) Rural carrier and the 4 folks in the post office get out everything that comes in.

The issue is in the hubs according to her, and other carriers we know/are related to.

Go easy on the carriers. They deal with the bullshit on both ends.

The problems are almost 100% on the distribution centers. Those union bitches just want to complain and not work during the pandemic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#36]
It has been posted online that over 200 semi-trailers full of mail are backlogged in Detroit. COVID-19 sick and self-quarantined postal employees are off work in Detroit metro area, where the postal service has a 50% off work sick rate. Detroit proper has a very high infection rate similar to New York, NY.

It took 15 days for my first class letter to travel from SW MI. to the Columbus OH. area. I've had much better service on the receiving end. The problem is short term and should be history inside of a month.

The USPS has advertised temporary positions with good pay ($18.00 an hour) but haven't gotten many responses. With unemployment paying what it is at the moment, very few are interested in taking the jobs.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It has been posted online that over 200 semi-trailers full of mail are backlogged in Detroit. COVID-19 sick and self-quarantined postal employees are off work in Detroit metro area, where the postal service has a 50% off work sick rate. Detroit proper has a very high infection rate similar to New York, NY.

It took 15 days for my first class letter to travel from SW MI. to the Columbus OH. area. I've had much better service on the receiving end. The problem is short term and should be history inside of a month.

The USPS has advertised temporary positions with good pay ($18.00 an hour) but haven't gotten many responses. With unemployment paying what it is at the moment, very few are interested in taking the jobs.
View Quote
A lot of those "sick" employees just don't want to go into work.  I was told this from 2 USPS employees at my local PO.  Both were seriously pissed about it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:00:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
It has been posted online that over 200 semi-trailers full of mail are backlogged in Detroit. COVID-19 sick and self-quarantined postal employees are off work in Detroit metro area, where the postal service has a 50% off work sick rate. Detroit proper has a very high infection rate similar to New York, NY. 

It took 15 days for my first class letter to travel from SW MI. to the Columbus OH. area. I've had much better service on the receiving end. The problem is short term and should be history inside of a month. 

The USPS has advertised temporary positions with good pay ($18.00 an hour) but haven't gotten many responses. With unemployment paying what it is at the moment, very few are interested in taking the jobs.
View Quote

I have to start my business back up next week, auto supplier.

And yea, this is going to be a huge problem.  And the communist pieces of shit that started it knew exactly what they were doing.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2020 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#39]
A lot of those "sick" employees just don't want to go into work.  I was told this from 2 USPS employees at my local PO.  Both were seriously pissed about it.
View All Quotes
It has been posted online that over 200 semi-trailers full of mail are backlogged in Detroit. COVID-19 sick and self-quarantined postal employees are off work in Detroit metro area, where the postal service has a 50% off work sick rate. Detroit proper has a very high infection rate similar to New York, NY. 

It took 15 days for my first class letter to travel from SW MI. to the Columbus OH. area. I've had much better service on the receiving end. The problem is short term and should be history inside of a month. 

The USPS has advertised temporary positions with good pay ($18.00 an hour) but haven't gotten many responses. With unemployment paying what it is at the moment, very few are interested in taking the jobs.
A lot of those "sick" employees just don't want to go into work.  I was told this from 2 USPS employees at my local PO.  Both were seriously pissed about it.

Yep.  Heard pretty much the same thing from my mail lady a couple days ago.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

That's the problem with the blanket $600/week ($15/hr for 40 hrs.) unemployment benefit that the Feds implemented through 31 July 2020. That's $15/week, above and beyond what the state pays.

Michigan pays a maximum of $362/week ($9.05/hr for 40 hrs) for up to 26 weeks, plus the Feds added an additional 13 weeks. Add that to the Feds $600/week and you have a max of $962/week ($24.05/hr for 40 hrs.).

Now, not everyone is eligible to receive that much as it's based on your previous earnings. Your weekly benefit is calculated by taking the highest earning quarter (3 months) in the past year and dividing by 26, with the result capped at $362/week. That means that anyone who earns the equivalent of $37,648/year ($18.10/hr for 2,080 hrs. per year) will earn the state's maximum benefit.

Now, if you earn less than $24.05/hr, you will essentially be getting a bonus to stay unemployed until this shit expires...
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Or until I turn Six Two on Patriots Day.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mail has been lightning fast for Midway's sale last week, but I've been waiting for a package that came from Canada a month ago and is sitting in San Francisco....

Shit's wierd.
Link Posted: 6/23/2020 1:42:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Even with Covid winding down shit is still getting delayed like crazy and USPS is getting confused.  Sent an upper to ADCO in Ohio to have a brake pinned/welded.  They shipped it back and it arrived at the Detroit distribution center... now it is in Grand Rapids on the other side of the state

Ordered a Ruger No. 1 in 458 Win Mag that got shipped out on the 10th from Missouri.  It's been stuck in limbo with the status "In transit" since June 15th.

As always, UPS and FedEx have been great.  USPS is really dropping the ball.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#44]
You are almost better off shipping usps express if you need your item there sooner, than later. They are arriving in 2-3 days still, and they are refunding if your package is not there in the advertised timeframe. I am about at 50% on refunds. They do not refund insurance, though. I got tired of the 1-3 week shipping delays with priority.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#45]
When a package has gone to the Detroit distribution center it has taken 4-5 days for it to leave recently.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
When a package has gone to the Detroit distribution center it has taken 4-5 days for it to leave recently.
View Quote

Yep.

Bitched at one of the company's I get a lot of things from (they use Fed-Ex smart post for 99%) not to use usps for this reason, as this very thing has happened this week on a order, when it goes straight Fed-Ex, I get it in two days (coming from WI).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top