Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2020 6:33:34 PM EDT
We had originally planned on using a moving company because there's no way we can physically move a lot of the furniture ourselves.  After looking at some prices it looks like the moving companies average 5 to 10K?  That doesn't seem right to me.  I figured 2 or 3 grand to go cross country but I guess that was unrealistic.  

Now we're considering using P.O.D.S. and maybe paying some strong guys to do the heavy lifting.  All my major moving experience came as a kid when I was merely a spectator so I didn't learn the intricacies.  

Anyone have any advice?  "Do this but not this" kind of stuff? Any and all cross country moving advice welcome!
Link Posted: 10/2/2020 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I checked into PODs once, seemed expensive. I always tried to self move as cheap as possible since the government would reimburse up to 95% of what a full contract carrier would - IOW, I’d make bank of a PCS.

Can you rent a truck, and hire a crew to load/off load? That’s what I generally did. Get a couple guys from a moving service for a day - usually cost a few hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]
When my uncle used to move once a year my cousin got to wash several stock trailers. She absolutely hates moving as much as washing stock trailers. I agree a rental truck and hired help is the way to go. With everything labeled and a sheet as to where it was placed. Good luck Brandi I would rather take an ass beating than move across country. My uncle would always have a couple of yard sales before he moved.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#3]
That's something to consider.  I'll look into that, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you ask your Sister's new employer's HR Dept. if they have a recommendation?
Maybe even reimburse you for the move, although if the contract's signed that ship has sailed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 3:43:25 AM EDT
[#5]
They are giving us a $5k moving reimbursement which is great but she won't get it until after we've moved and she starts the new job.  

I was looking at all the stuff we need to move and it seems like a lot.  Very intimidating.  The couch isn't going, it's not worth moving, so that's a big item off the list at least.  My sis is a gearhead so there's a big ol' rolling tool box and some big tools like a standing drill press and a hydraulic press and who knows what else.  It might have to be a pretty big truck to fit everything.  Not like entire professional moving company big but big.  Just getting the safe in a truck is daunting enough.  

And then there's the matter of moving 5 cats and probably a fish too!  I still can't figure out how we're going to transport 5 cat carriers across the country on top of everything else.  It's times like this when I wish I had a prescription for Xanax .
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are giving us a $5k moving reimbursement which is great but she won't get it until after we've moved and she starts the new job.  

I was looking at all the stuff we need to move and it seems like a lot.  Very intimidating.  The couch isn't going, it's not worth moving, so that's a big item off the list at least.  My sis is a gearhead so there's a big ol' rolling tool box and some big tools like a standing drill press and a hydraulic press and who knows what else.  It might have to be a pretty big truck to fit everything.  Not like entire professional moving company big but big.  Just getting the safe in a truck is daunting enough.  

And then there's the matter of moving 5 cats and probably a fish too!  I still can't figure out how we're going to transport 5 cat carriers across the country on top of everything else.  It's times like this when I wish I had a prescription for Xanax .
View Quote

Nah, all easy stuff. Start gathering supplies now - check out Craigslist and Nextdoor for free/cheap moving supplies (boxes, etc). A lot of people give away their recently purchased boxes after they conduct a move.

Safe’s are surprisingly easy to move. Use pieces of pvc as rollers or get a couple of furniture dolly’s from Harbor Freight.

Some truck rental companies have trucks with life gates- these are nice for really heavy pieces. But overall a truck with a pull out loading ramp like on a uHual work much better.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fish can go in and ice chest with a 12v airiator. Start leash breaking the cats so they can potty and stretch their legs.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The cats? You answered your own question. On top of everything else. Strap em to the roof.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The fish can go in and ice chest with a 12v airiator. Start leash breaking the cats so they can potty and stretch their legs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fish idea is good.  We have a big pleco that we've had for years and I'd hate to have to try and find a new place for it to live.  I'm not sure there's adoption agencies for giant fresh water tank fish.  

Leash breaking adult cats is an exercise in futility lol.  Hotdog suggested renting a transit van which seems like it might be a good option.  We could fit all the cat carriers as well as valuables that we don't want movers handling.  We could drive straight through which would lessen the stress on the cats.  Ship the vehicles via car carrier.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The cats? You answered your own question. On top of everything else. Strap em to the roof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We had originally planned on using a moving company because there's no way we can physically move a lot of the furniture ourselves.  After looking at some prices it looks like the moving companies average 5 to 10K?  That doesn't seem right to me.  I figured 2 or 3 grand to go cross country but I guess that was unrealistic.  

Now we're considering using P.O.D.S. and maybe paying some strong guys to do the heavy lifting.  All my major moving experience came as a kid when I was merely a spectator so I didn't learn the intricacies.  

Anyone have any advice?  "Do this but not this" kind of stuff? Any and all cross country moving advice welcome!
View Quote

We just bought a place between Blanchard and Newcastle and used 2 Men and a Truck. Took two days but ended up costing about $2k for the whole household. We had most everything except furniture and appliances tubbed or boxed. I'm happy with their service. Just make sure you request a three man crew.
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 10:15:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gabapentin is a good tranquilizer for the fur babies. Easily obtainable from your PCP or vet. Can't help with the fish.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We just bought a place between Blanchard and Newcastle and used 2 Men and a Truck. Took two days but ended up costing about $2k for the whole household. We had most everything except furniture and appliances tubbed or boxed. I'm happy with their service. Just make sure you request a three man crew.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought you had been abducted by aliens or something.  Glad to see you're still around.  Thanks for the information on that company, we'll look into them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wait a second! Are you saying 2 Men and A Truck isn't ...2Men...and a Truck?
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:42:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Hmmm....yeah.  Wouldn't that be 3 men and a truck?  I picture a world where they also sell pickles.  I like the the name "2 men & a truck & a pickle".   They should at least consider it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:40:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hmmm....yeah.  Wouldn't that be 3 men and a truck?  I picture a world where they also sell pickles.  I like the the name "2 men & a truck & a pickle".   They should at least consider it.
View Quote

They charge a flat rate for local moves of $165 per hour. Thus the 3 men and a truck load more in less time and save $$$!
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 7:57:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They charge a flat rate for local moves of $165 per hour. Thus the 3 men and a truck load more in less time and save $$$!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now that's smart thinking.
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 3:28:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I used PODS for a work move and it was cheaper than hiring a van line,  most of my stuff showed up unbroken . However you won't save as much as you might think when you start hiring lumpers to help you load / unload in the end run .  

If you do it all yourself it can be cheaper but next time I will use a Van Line the convenience of it makes it a better deal

Link Posted: 11/4/2020 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#19]
We did get the POD or it's generic equivalent.  We've been loading it ourselves, which has sucked.  What doesn't fit in the POD is being moved by a moving company.  Basically all the really big and/or heavy stuff.  It's been way more expensive than we thought but there's no other options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top