Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2021 4:22:42 PM EDT
Hoping that my hometown Brothers who frequent New York gun shops may have run across some small pistol primers in their travels.  I mistakenly thought I had a sufficient stash of them in my reloading closest but upon taking inventory when planning on loading some .357 Mag I am dismayed to discover that I am almost out!  I know, poor planning on my part, mea culpa.  I checked all my local shops and my normal online sources to no avail.  Any tips will be greatly appreciated and kept in strict confidence.  You can trust me I am a lawyer!

I have plenty of large pistol primers as trade goods if someone is in need.  I would prefer not to put this in the EE to avoid hazmat shipping and associated hassles and this should not be considered a solicitation only a plea for assistance in my Hometown.

Happy New Year New York Hometown Brothers!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
SPP are hens teeth nationally. Prices are through the roof.
Not just a NY thing ( former New Yorker now in free America !)
All things ammo and reloading ( especially pistol) are incredibly hard to find everywhere.
Lucked into 9mm at my local Cal Ranch $14 per box limit 1
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
General concensus in the reloading world is you can substitute regular small rifle primers for SPP if need be.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
General concensus in the reloading world is you can substitute regular small rifle primers for SPP if need be.
View Quote

I had considered that but there are also reports of failures to fire especially in revolvers.  I would hate to go through all the trouble on a "maybe".
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:23:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had considered that but there are also reports of failures to fire especially in revolvers.  I would hate to go through all the trouble on a "maybe".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you do have SR primers I'd consider loading some primer only (plastic or wax bullets) loads to check ignition.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is very gun specific. Rifle primers have thicker cups. If you have your triggers tweaked, they won't work.

My revolver and a couple DA/SA pistols are Federal SPP only. My 2011 will crush anything.

Get whatever primers you can. You can always put in heavier springs to run your lot of SRP.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top