Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2021 11:46:29 PM EDT
By all accounts, it’s looking like an amazing fishing weekend.  I’ll be around mike marker 41-43 in a white 250. Stop and say hello and have a beer.  Don’t stay long though - I want privacy and am heavily armed.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Fishing was indeed excellent. We limited on slot reds and also crushed the whiting and pompano.  Few permit fish and some small sharks too - not many hard heads. Water was greenish and clear.  The drive down sucked for the first 35 miles as the beach was littered with trash and hazardous debris or deep sand, but around mile 40 it got better.
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like s great time!  

I've wanted to go myself but I'm inexperienced driving on what I might encounter on PINS. I've camped for years on Port A, but know PINS is a different game.  

Any tips on how to prepare, what to look out for?  I'm fearful of being that guy who gets his truck swallowed by a high surf or a storm that goods the beach!
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I really miss living down there.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like s great time!  

I've wanted to go myself but I'm inexperienced driving on what I might encounter on PINS. I've camped for years on Port A, but know PINS is a different game.  

Any tips on how to prepare, what to look out for?  I'm fearful of being that guy who gets his truck swallowed by a high surf or a storm that goods the beach!
View Quote

I have been down to the Mansfield jetties many times.  I am occasionally surprised by 2wd vehicles who drive down and back on the low tides, but I have never taken that risk.  There will be a lot of washed up debris to avoid, including boards with nails and screws, glass, etc.  Watch where you are driving.  Be aware of the cut banks and don't get yourself boxed in on an incoming tide.

Watch the tides.  

Air down to widen your tire footprint if needed.  

Take a portable air compressor and a tire plug kit.

Be sure that your spare tire is in good shape, and that you know where your tire changing tools are (including lug lock keys).

Have secure recovery points on your vehicle, and at least 2 recovery straps appropriately rated for your vehicle.

Shovel

Hi-Lift jack if you know how to use one safely.

A few boards to broaden your jack's footprint if you need that.  I have a couple of 1" 2x10s cut to 2 feet or so that I throw in the bed of the truck.

Extra water and coolant.

Duct tape in case you blow a hose.

Basic tool kit.

Whatever food, drinks, camping and fishing gear that you might need.

I'm sure that others can add to this list.

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Bud pretty much nailed it.  You’ll be driving along fine and out of nowhere there is a board with nails in it or a piece of metal pipe sticking out of the sand.  It can be white knuckle driving for the driver while the front passenger is scouting for hazardous debris - guys in the back get to drink beer.

Bring extra food and water in case you get stuck and at least $200 cash to pay someone to pull you out, buy some extra ice or bait off a passerby.  One big thing on the camping side is to always put your food and water up at night. The coyotes will raid your campsite and drag off anything not protected.  You can get cell reception from some areas by walking back into the dunes. We know where many of those are and that’s always a must for us. Right at mile marker 45 is one of those spots.  The sand can look great once you get past the trashed beach span, but never get too comfortable because it may look pure and clean but there could be a rusty spike, broken bottle or shark hook just under the surface. I wear shoes always except on rare occasions by the water edge.

Just keep in mind that if you have an emergency, you’re going to be on your own for an extended period of time. Have the park headquarters number handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top