Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2022 6:17:22 PM EDT
... and get delayed on background check?

My daughter bought a P365 at Dunhams in Marquette MI (she lives in U.P.) last saturday evening, 5pm-ish. Got a delay from NICS, she's still waiting. NOT happy.

My grandson-in-law bought my granddaughter a Heritage .22 pistol at Dunhams in Rhinelander, wasn't cleared for 4 days.

The only gun I've bought there was also the only gun I've ever purchased since NICS that wasn't an "instant proceed" with sale. I waited 2 hours at Dunhams in Antigo for the NICS call back when I bought a Mosin M44 there. I attributed that to being the saturday before Christmas that year.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Never bought at Dunhams, but it's not a Dunhams thing, it's just becoming more common these days. Buddy of mine got delayed this past Saturday at Scheels buying a M&P 22 Pistol...no criminal history, pretty unique name that I can't imagine there being another one that happens to be a criminal. Still hasn't heard back.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought a pump shotgun from Mills Farm and fleet.  I went in on Monday and was delayed till Thursday.  I was told that because of the high volume the NICS is having problems keeping up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had one delay in the last 5 years. Honestly, I think the rate is much higher for the big outfits.

Hodag, Cimino's, Zingers/Flingers, and Wiebke's in La Crosse, and hardly an issue.

My one delay was at Fleet Farm in Antigo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep. Bought my baby eagle there. No issues other than had to pay the $10 handgun fee before filling out the 4473. Silly policy of the store. Havent since due to its usually cheaper elsewhere.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing from Dunhams but I wasn't delayed earlier this month at Fleet Farm nor in July from a home based FFL. I was even talking to the FFL before he made the call about how delays must be common at this time and he agreed. Then after I was approved he said I must know someone, lol.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I always get delayed. I bought a handgun at dunhams recently and it went right through.

Their process is a pain in the ass though, at least at the one in racine.

- Let gun counter guy know what i want to buy

-fill out background check info

-Walk to the checkout on the opposite side of the store to pay for the background check

-walk back to gun counter and complete background check and purchase paperwork

-walk back across the store to pay for gun purchase

-walk back across the store to pick up gun

-gun has trigger lock applied

-get walked out of the store by a manager
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Back in Ohio I wanted to look a pistol and they refused to take the trigger lock off. I left the store, and have not been in one since.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Back in Ohio I wanted to look a pistol and they refused to take the trigger lock off. I left the store, and have not been in one since.
View Quote

I've been in 3 Dunhams stores here in WI (Wausau, Antigo, Rhinelander) and none had trigger locks on the guns when I was there. I admit I haven't been to Wausau & Antigo stores in years, but I was in Rhinelander store just 2 weeks ago. No trigger locks. Everything was locked in glass displays.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Dunhams called her this morning... "come get it, we got a 'proceed' from NICS". Day #5... or maybe it's 4 in 'official NICS days'.  

7th calendar day, she bought it last saturday.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm... I thought a NICS background check was good for more than one gun. She went to pick up her Sig at Dunhams this morning, after waiting 5 days for the background check to clear, and wanted to buy a Savage Axis deer rifle while she was there today too. They said it would require ANOTHER NICS run around. She said no thanks. It's 140 miles round trip. I know I've bought more than one gun on a single background check before, what changed?
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I believe you can purchase multiple firearms with one check in the same transaction, but if it is another transaction, another check is required.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I believe you can purchase multiple firearms with one check in the same transaction, but if it is another transaction, another check is required.
View Quote

Exactly right. I ran into a friend today at a car show, and asked him... he's a ffl. That's what he said. One background check is all thats needed for multiple guns as long as they're part of the same transaction and the number of guns purchased is specified on one 4473. New 4473, new check required.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Janesvilles and Delavans is like that. Same at Cabelas.
Link Posted: 8/30/2022 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought an hk45 years ago with no delay.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
... and get delayed on background check?

My daughter bought a P365 at Dunhams in Marquette MI (she lives in U.P.) last saturday evening, 5pm-ish. Got a delay from NICS, she's still waiting. NOT happy.

My grandson-in-law bought my granddaughter a Heritage .22 pistol at Dunhams in Rhinelander, wasn't cleared for 4 days.

The only gun I've bought there was also the only gun I've ever purchased since NICS that wasn't an "instant proceed" with sale. I waited 2 hours at Dunhams in Antigo for the NICS call back when I bought a Mosin M44 there. I attributed that to being the saturday before Christmas that year.
View Quote

I used to sell guns at Dunhams and it's not Dunham's but your DOJ. Also, handguns don't go through NICS.   FWIW....buying a gun very late on a Saturday afternoon and expecting it to clear is a tad silly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I used to sell guns at Dunhams and it's not Dunham's but your DOJ. Also, handguns don't go through NICS.   FWIW....buying a gun very late on a Saturday afternoon and expecting it to clear is a tad silly.
View Quote

It was in MI, so WI DOJ wasn't involved in daughter's transaction. Very understandable about 5pm delay on a saturday afternoon.  Grandson-in-law bought his Heritage .22 at Dunhams on a tuesday morning, pre-pandemic gun sale surge. They didn't call him to come get it until late Friday afternoon. That did go through WI DOJ. My Mosin was a rifle, so it was NICS only, no DOJ.

I was at Dunhams in Rhinelander last week, looking at handguns, there were no trigger locks on any handguns on display. I bought a pistol across the road at L&M Fleet (because I didn't trust Dunhams with the possibility of a delay, and price was $50 lower on same pistol anyway), and my DOJ check took about 10 minutes to go through. It was done electronically.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:09:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Never purchased a firearm through Dunhams, and never been delayed.

What's really stupid is purchasing a particular NFA firearm, going through the wait, then having to go through a WI handgun check before you can pick it up. Cause, you know, the normal NFA check might have missed something.

Link Posted: 10/7/2022 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Never purchased a firearm through Dunhams, and never been delayed.

What's really stupid is purchasing a particular NFA firearm, going through the wait, then having to go through a WI handgun check before you can pick it up. Cause, you know, the normal NFA check might have missed something.

View Quote

What NFA item would need a WI handgun check? All you should need is to fill out a 4473 and check box 28 saying its for an NFA approval.
Link Posted: 10/7/2022 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What NFA item would need a WI handgun check? All you should need is to fill out a 4473 and check box 28 saying its for an NFA approval.
View Quote

A Serbu Super Shorty.

Meets the handgun hotline definition of "handgun".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top