Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2020 3:13:04 PM EDT
Will finally get WA an income tax?  Seems like the perfect tragedy for the legislature to not want to waste.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Good point, probably will happen.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
No good crisis goes to waste in WA.

Having said that, the recent WA Supreme Court decision that rejected Seattle's tax experiment is going to be a tough hill to climb. If the WA Constitution doesn't allow progressive taxation rates, and a flat tax goes against everything the Dems stand for, they will need to invent some kind of alternative and get it past the court. Not impossible but certainly harder than just passing a bill.

Washington state Supreme Court denies Seattle’s bid for income tax on wealthy households

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:02:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes! I would bet my stimulus check on it!
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I do believe we will have an income tax push in the legislature and from the governor.  Also predict there will be no lowering of the sales tax rates, even when this virus crisis is over.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
In my opinion Inslee is using the shutdown for 3 things:

1. Make Trump look bad - which is why he's coordinating with California and Oregon
2. He'll play some climate change angle.  Possibly how much we've reduced out carbon footprint by not going to work and how we must make new laws to keep up this behavior
3. State income tax - The hit to the sales tax and B&O tax will be used to push a more stable source of state revenue....income tax.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 10:56:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1. Make Trump look bad - which is why he's coordinating with California and Oregon
2. He'll play some climate change angle.  Possibly how much we've reduced out carbon footprint by not going to work and how we must make new laws to keep up this behavior
3. State income tax - The hit to the sales tax and B&O tax will be used to push a more stable source of state revenue....income tax.
View Quote

I have never met anyone that was actually an Inslee supporter. Even Democrats seem to think that this guy is a milquetoast bore. I don't understand how he gets elected.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I have never met anyone that was actually an Inslee supporter. Even Democrats seem to think that this guy is a milquetoast bore. I don't understand how he gets elected.
View Quote

It is not how the votes are cast, it is who counts the votes. I.E. King County
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Might as well sign it over to Oly.  It'll be taken soon enough...if everyone lets them.

Quoted:

If voting actually mattered, it would be outlawed.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:11:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What do you mean? He has a D next to his name, all he has to do is sail though the primary and end up the ballot and he's a shoe in. Nothing else matters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#10]
If not a state income tax then a massive expansion of the capital gains tax.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#11]
An income tax will take too long to implement and begin collections.  The budget crises being felt by state and local governments is immediate as sales and B&O taxes are collected quarterly.  The money is literally not in the coffers NOW and the state and locals cannot issue debt to cover operations (capital projects are a different matter).

My agency has already laid off staff including admin and instituted a hiring freeze so some of the vacancies we had prior to the crisis will remain unfilled until???

Not complaining, just informing.  I am grateful to still be working for now.  Tomorrow - who knows...
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
An income tax will take too long to implement and begin collections.  The budget crises being felt by state and local governments is immediate as sales and B&O taxes are collected quarterly.  The money is literally not in the coffers NOW and the state and locals cannot issue debt to cover operations (capital projects are a different matter).

My agency has already laid off staff including admin and instituted a hiring freeze so some of the vacancies we had prior to the crisis will remain unfilled until???

Not complaining, just informing.  I am grateful to still be working for now.  Tomorrow - who knows...
View Quote

Oh well. Maybe they shouldn't spend every cent they have on stupid shit like public LGBTQQF+ art installations and $500+ mil floating rail bridges to get across a small lake instead of just going around.

Maybe we will get GPS tracking and pay by mile out of this mess. They've been waiting for a crisis to push that for years
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 2:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
What fiscal responsibility?
That's crazy talk, governments don't need to save money.

I am hopeful that there will be massive ousting of elected positions after this, even my most leftist friends and family are pissed at how this was handled.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Member when Inslee tried to run for POTUS
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Perhaps if our State Leaders didnt try to run the State in the Red all the time this wouldn't even be an issue. God forbid they attempt to stop hemorrhaging money on useless and unneeded shit and get the State back into the Black...
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Perhaps if our State Leaders didnt try to run the State in the Red all the time this wouldn't even be an issue. God forbid they attempt to stop hemorrhaging money on useless and unneeded shit and get the State back into the Black...
View Quote

The state cannot run a deficit.  It must have a balanced budget or surplus.  We actually had a rainy day fund (surplus) but it is gone.

Budgets are set based on projected revenues and most of the time the projections are very close.  Washington’s primary source of revenue is sales tax followed buy other taxes.  These are primarily collected quarterly.

I know y’all hate the government, but some of us show up for work with our A game every day.  Some of us truly care about YOU - the tax payer and citizen.  I know it’s hard to believe, but it’s true.

With the exception of being a courtesy clerk for Safeway, I spent 20 years in the private sector working for two small businesses.  If you ever run into Tweak, ask him.  

Governments work best when the citizenry gets involved.  Look at all of the gun control we fought off these last two sessions.

At a minimum - register to vote.  If you are registered - then VOTE.  In the mean time, call, write, email your electeds.  

This is a watershed moment for Freedom and Liberty.  Soooooo many people were going through life in condition white and they have now been snapped out of it.  

We have an opportunity to make some serious change if we seize this opportunity.

I sometimes lose momentum but I will never give up hope.  There is amazing power in each and every one of you.  Make something with it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Screw an income tax. I’d be okay with a slight increase in sales tax over that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm sure we can spend our way out of this
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck that, try making some cuts on useless shit like the rest of us living in the real world.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 4:26:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What do you mean? He has a D next to his name, all he has to do is sail though the primary and end up the ballot and he's a shoe in. Nothing else matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

"No one" voted for Mike Lowrey, either (Remember him?), yet there he was.

Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck that, try making some cuts on useless shit like the rest of us living in the real world.

The state needs less revenue, regardless of the circumstances.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 5:04:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Before my time, I was still quite young, only vague memories.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#23]
The votes to repeal any income tax by initiative *are* for-sure there...

And unlike the $30 car-tabs one, there wouldn't be any way to claim that a one-sentence initiative (eg 'Should the state income-tax be repealed') covered multiple subjects....

State govt may be A-holes, but they aren't dumb a-holes...

So no, they won't do it. They'll just keep going after businesses & drivers, the way they always do....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top