Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2020 9:14:20 PM EDT
looking to get out and practice some shooting with white light and or NVG, wondering if anyone has or does do this as well?
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Mr. CA-DOJ?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:33:13 AM EDT
[#2]
a city of 1.5 million, one of the largest military cities in the country and no one has nods or shoots at night?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
There seems to be only a few people who participate on this forum.  Fewer still who live near San Diego.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a city of 1.5 million, one of the largest military cities in the country and no one has nods or shoots at night?
View Quote

I’d like to get into Night Shooting myself but I’m in Northern Cali (Stockton/Sac)
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds fun but I have no clue which areas or ranges would allow it?

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Likely need some private land to do it on. Have you tried asking TNVC here? They have an LA location no? They might know of areas.
Link Posted: 8/20/2020 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I went out with a buddy and my sionyx 2 weeks ago, to our regular BLM spot near Occotillo off the 8. Passed a couple Border Patrol guys on the way in and asked if they cared if we shot, which they didn't. shot until 11-ish and went home. Wasn't even that hot without the sun beating on your. This was my first time shooting at night with (sort of) NVG so it was a learning shake down trip. I have since received a Perst 4 and buddy got a Perst 3, and I have a surefire vampire light coming tomorrow. going to try again this Saturday hopefully.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went out with a buddy and my sionyx 2 weeks ago, to our regular BLM spot near Occotillo off the 8. Passed a couple Border Patrol guys on the way in and asked if they cared if we shot, which they didn't. shot until 11-ish and went home. Wasn't even that hot without the sun beating on your. This was my first time shooting at night with (sort of) NVG so it was a learning shake down trip. I have since received a Perst 4 and buddy got a Perst 3, and I have a surefire vampire light coming tomorrow. going to try again this Saturday hopefully.
View Quote

South of the 8?

BLM Rangers are the ones who might have an issue. Years ago I was shooting with some guys who did night shoots and they indicated some BLM areas allowed it, others didn't. You should be able to find out from the local BLM. If you just fire a few shots it shouldn't be an issue but lots of night shooting could draw attention.

Nightvision scopes are not legal in CA, but I don't think the state banned goggles or other stuff that is actually more useful.
Link Posted: 8/28/2020 9:10:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

South of the 8?

BLM Rangers are the ones who might have an issue. Years ago I was shooting with some guys who did night shoots and they indicated some BLM areas allowed it, others didn't. You should be able to find out from the local BLM. If you just fire a few shots it shouldn't be an issue but lots of night shooting could draw attention.

Nightvision scopes are not legal in CA, but I don't think the state banned goggles or other stuff that is actually more useful.
View Quote
yeah the whole "sniper scope" law is a grey area and BS. I run my stuff on the helmet so I am not worried about that. we've been out twice so far and going again tomorrow night. no issues so far. shot from 9:00ish until 11:30 both times. I tried looking for info about what BLM area is open, and it was super vague about the imperial county area. gave up and said Murica.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2020 10:22:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The law specifically names the "Star Light" scope.  That was an active IR imaging system - IR illuminator and IR scope in one unit mounted on the rifle.  It's also a specific technology.

A night vision device is a passive system (no illuminator), so it is very different.  Adding a NVD and even adding an IR laser would not violate the law.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top