Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/25/2018 2:59:06 PM EDT
Sick of looking at the houses on the market that are all additions galore and no telling what was done right.  Thinking of buying property and building a house.

Tell me what your experience was and who you went though.

Thanks

MAHA
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
For me I just went out and bought some land built a barn on it and then started finishing it out.
Someday I will finish it.
But I was just fed up with playing the game and by doing a barn I skipped the permitting and everything else.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Ost

Before building I'd ensure that you had a safe water source.
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:08:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Southern NM, i am close to El Paso so i had a lot of resourses from there.

I "built" my own house, 1500 sq ft with porch, 2 bedroom 2 bath with fireplace "built" means, i was the "general contractor" certain items have to be done with a permit, i am in the county so all i had to deal with was state codes,  inspectable (permit)  items: septic, foundation, plumbing, electrical and hvac.

At first i was just going to put a double wide on my property and be done, but after calling the state, and actually finding out what i needed to do i went for it.

I scouted out houses that were being built, in different stages, talked to the guy in charge, called around, and then got estimates in writing, all work was 50% up front, and the rest upon completion and inspection passed.

I have a slab (post tension) I had to do a soil sample so they could do the plans for the foundation, stick built, stucco, closed foam insulaton, with metal roof.

I drew on graph paper what i wanted, then took it to architec.

$80,000

Things the wife and i did.

Trench 1800' for water line and install water line this was around $800 for pipe and $400 for trencher for the weekend.

We installed windows, painted inside and out, hung all door and did moulding, installed all appliances. There are probaly some things im missing, we did this 8 years ago.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Instead of an attatched garage, i built, and i built this one, with a metal building from Mueller Steel buildings, a 1500sq shop, yes as big as the house

Attachment Attached File

OP, if you need more info we could talk on the phone send me a PM
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#5]
What are you looking to spend?   I’m a licensed contractor, won’t work that far north.   But I know some folks in the area, but they’re not cheap.   7 figures minimum, but she’ll make them tear down any fuck ups.

I’d be happy to advise or look over plans if you’re not in a hurry, no charge for advice.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like we will buy the first home. Have the inspections on Thursday. Look at building later. Thanks for the advice.

MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top