Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2022 5:16:03 PM EDT
I have a new 5G phone and supposedly there is 5G coverage all over Boise and the surrounding valley. I've yet to actually get any 5G signals. My phone always says 4G. Are the coverage maps all just BS or "future plans", or is my phone not working properly? I'm on the ATT network. Attachment Attached File

I was told (by someone who I assume read it on the internet somewhere) that I might need a new SIM card to pick up the new 5G stuff, but I'm not sure what the SIM card would have to do with picking up signals.

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Verizon is a yesAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend has T-Mobile. He's got lots of 5G.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
sounds like I need to go visit the ATT store and see if my SIM card is too old or something
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Is it an iPhone?

If so go under settings: cellular data options: make sure 5g auto is selected under voice and data
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:13:25 AM EDT
[#5]
1st question: is it a 5G capable phone?

2nd question: if it is, did you get the correct sim?

I’m on tmo and get 5G all over the valley(indoors is a hit or miss). But I had to swap sims when I got my first 5G capable iPhone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1st question: is it a 5G capable phone?

2nd question: if it is, did you get the correct sim?

I'm on tmo and get 5G all over the valley(indoors is a hit or miss). But I had to swap sims when I got my first 5G capable iPhone.
View Quote
It's a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, so it should be very 5G capable.

My SIM is ancient though, probably been swapped through at least 3 phones at this point. Probably well over a decade old. So if that matters I'll need to go to the ATT store and get a new one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's a Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, so it should be very 5G capable.

My SIM is ancient though, probably been swapped through at least 3 phones at this point. Probably well over a decade old. So if that matters I'll need to go to the ATT store and get a new one.
View Quote

I have the S22 ultra on verizon and when I purchased it, it came with a 5G compatible SIM card. I would visit the local store and get an updated SIM.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 10:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I reused an old sim when I got my S20 FE and it popped a message that I might not get 5g.   I'm on Verizon, and 5G just showed up one day.  I get it all the time around town
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 4:52:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I reused an old sim when I got my S20 FE and it popped a message that I might not get 5g.   I'm on Verizon, and 5G just showed up one day.  I get it all the time around town
View Quote

You may get 5G but more than likely not the latest and greatest mmWave stuff. When I popped my old sim in, I got 5G as well but not the ultra wideband stuff(way faster).
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You may get 5G but more than likely not the latest and greatest mmWave stuff. When I popped my old sim in, I got 5G as well but not the ultra wideband stuff(way faster).
View Quote

mmWave might appear somewhere where there are tons of people, but it otherwise just has too many downsides.

Such was turning your body such that its between your phone and the antenna causing a connection drop.
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

mmWave might appear somewhere where there are tons of people, but it otherwise just has too many downsides.

Such was turning your body such that its between your phone and the antenna causing a connection drop.
View Quote

That’s not the point here. Just stating that not having the latest sim leaves you in the dark when it comes to the most current 5G tech. Whether it works or not is an entirely separate discussion.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top