Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2021 10:03:32 PM EDT
Looking at moving up north of Dayton, say Tipp City/Troy/West Milton/Phillipsburg area. Ideally I would buy a couple few acres then have a builder help me through the process of adding utilities and a home. Biggest issue I'm having is the ones I've found so far all want to do half million dollar craftsman homes with crazy finishes. I would be looking to spend a couple hundred thousand +/- on the home portion of the project. We're looking for a ranch (15-1600 sq ft?) on a basement, either a three car garage or an oversized two car. Vinyl siding with some brick wouldn't break my heart, no need for hardy board or marble shipped in from Italy or anything. What say the hive? Any recommendations for an experienced builder who can help me through the process and deliver a good product?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 11:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
While I'm looking for recommendations, anyone mind also giving me a sanity check on pricing from an arm's length perspective? Total budget for the project is around $300-325k. This would cover $40k for the land (2-3 acres), $60k for utilities (gravel driveway say no more than 100 yards length, electricity & internet from road to homesite, septic system install, well drill, propane purchase/rental & install), and leave me in the $200-225k range for home build. Again looking for 15-1600 square foot ranch on a basement. Basement can be mostly unfinished & just insulated to the frost line with HVAC run, though I would like some plumbing rough ins for a bathroom & utility sink. Finishes don't have to be top of the line as I can upgrade things later, though i would like to look at a metal roof if at all possible. What am I missing?
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Not goung to be of much help but have you considered being your own general contractor? Subcontractors pretty much do all the work anyways depending on who your 'builder' is. If you have tome to make phone calls, babysit enough to mske sure work gets done you can save some ca$h. Also allows you to gain sweat equity doing some tasks.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not goung to be of much help but have you considered being your own general contractor? Subcontractors pretty much do all the work anyways depending on who your 'builder' is. If you have tome to make phone calls, babysit enough to mske sure work gets done you can save some ca$h. Also allows you to gain sweat equity doing some tasks.
View Quote

Definitely something I'd consider!
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Nephew is a plumber there, will ask him for you.  West Milton area, 10 minutes to P Burg...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#5]
HARLOW HOMES--my plumber nephew and my nephew who had half his home rebuilt due to a SHITTY builder both used them.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 11:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
HARLOW HOMES--my plumber nephew and my nephew who had half his home rebuilt due to a SHITTY builder both used them.
View Quote

Thank you sir! They have some really nice looking homes on the website, I'll definitely give them a ring!
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 10:26:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Try Brooks Renovations, 937-903-2839.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Try Brooks Renovations, 937-903-2839.
View Quote

Will do!
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top