Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2021 11:57:55 PM EDT
I need more range time. Anyone a member at Frisco Gun Club? Do you like it? Pros and Cons?

I did some searching and got mixed reviews. Looking for first hand experience.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 7:46:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Not a member but have shot there a bunch. Pricey for what it is imo but it's convenient if you live nearby.

IDPA classes are also hosted there which are a good time too
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a member but have shot there a bunch. Pricey for what it is imo but it's convenient if you live nearby.

IDPA classes are also hosted there which are a good time too
View Quote

Agree with this. Have used range as a guest and it was the opposite end of my military range experience. Only shot pistol there as rifle seems limited - which is not surprising for a totally indoor facility where members can avoid being exposed to dirt.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I was a member for a few years but canceled.

Reason for leaving.

1.  They started to care more about non members to get extra income it seems like.
2. They would not allow me to call and make reservations anymore before I showed up on short notice i.e. a hour out.
2. Their filtration seemed to be having issues .  Someone that I trusted after I canceled my membership said they were slacking on filter changes but I had no way to confirm.  all I know is that hard surfaces in a indoor range should not have that much dust.
3. Their staff started to become range nazis on rapid fire.  Example.  Was testing a new snub nose revolver.  Fired all 5 rounds as fast as i could accurately shoot  and hit a fairly tight center mass on the target. I was told this is no longer allowed.  While i was being told this the guy 2 lanes down some how shot the celling twice. Nothing was said to them when i pointed it out because they were not doing rapid fire and “accidents happen”.
4. Their wait times started to get out of control.
5. The last straw was when they lost power one day.  They just locked the door and put a sign up that said closed. When I asked the next day what was going on the guy I talked to a acted like I just told him to go screw his mom. I had them cancel my membership at that moment.

Overall the range started to seem more like a regular public range instead of a place where you had a membership.

This was a couple years back so they could have changed it back up to being a nice range to have a membership but i dont know as i have never been back.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:00:27 PM EDT
[#4]
They also have a nice veteran's discount during the day, so it helps on the cost.
I like the 100 yard range. oddly saw heat ripples during the winter in there while trying to sight in my scope.
not a member, either, just don't shoot enough to justify it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I joined when they opened, quit this December
They gave me ten guest passes at joining, ten more the second year, ten more the third year. I used less than half.

First time I took a coworker and his 16yr old son. The range officer wigged out because the 16yr old didnt bring his DL. I chalked it up to an asshole who hadn't had his morning coffee. "I'll ask the manager", he did and came back and said "I'll let him shoot this time" when I asked what rule required an kid with their parent present to have a DL he got butthurt.

A year later, took the same coworker and his 12 year old and when I presented my guest passes the range officer said "those are no good"......WTF. I asked why and he said "People were counterfeiting them but I'll let you use them this time". Begrudgingly, not politely. I'm thinking it was a revenue issue and not faked guest passes.

The day I joined their hours were M-F and open until 10pm. Without notice they dropped to a 9pm closing time and closed on Mondays.
Special events, sales, training classes, etc were already over by the time they emailed the announcement of that special event.

Instead of membership getting better, it became worse. Even ending my membership was difficult. They require written notice delivered in person. Fuck that. I just called my CC and said deny that transaction.

Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#6]
i never joined but shot there a couple times while i lived in mckinney.

decent facilities but not as nice as TGE in grapevine, especially considering the price.

it was usually awkward talking to the people there, i'm not sure if they were socially awkward or what was the deal. website tries to pimp the place out like a ritzy country club and i once saw a job ad for a chef there

there's a few private ranges in the area and that's probably the direction i would have taken if i still lived in collin county
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm. Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll just try them out before I spring for the spendy membership.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
website tries to pimp the place out like a ritzy country club and i once saw a job ad for a chef there
View Quote

It could be considered fancy if all your comparing it to is a dirt lot.  The only real ritzy thing about it is that it has AC.

Back when I was a member they really had a crappy sitting situation if you had to wait for a lane or wanted to sit for some time and talk to someone. It’s the opposite of any type of country club I have ever been a member of.  They had a dining room but most of the time it was closed because they had some strange rules on when you could walk into it and who you were allowed to have with you.  Seemed like a lost a revenue to be honest.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:01:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I did my LTC training there not too long after they opened. It’s a really ritzy place. I am fortunate enough to be able to shoot on my own land now, but before I could do that I shot at bullet trap in Plano. It’s a lot more low key and I liked the folks there. Quite a drive from one to the other I know, but might check them out if you are close enough
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I shot there a dozen or more times over the years. Haven’t been in 3 years or so. I had good and really bad experiences. Waiting 45 minutes only to get bumped by members which I can understand but it still pisses you off when your not told about it before hand. Once I got pulled off the rifle range after 20 minutes for a member. Was told you have got to go. Shit like that kept me from coming back.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#11]
I am not a member but FGC is my go-to range as I'm 20 mins away, otherwise I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to shoot on my own property.  My first 2 times went with a member, now if I'm on Eldorado I just look and see if the parking lot is under half full.  At times the lot can look full and folks are in classes but not actually using the lanes.  If the wait is longer than 15 mins I just go on about my day, I've never been bumped off a lane but then I only shoot 45 mins and am on my way.  I like that range stoppages are rare and have not seen any issues with over-zealous range officers.  I've never shot on their long gun ranges, I've never purchased food/drink nor have I noticed a dust issue.  I pay for convenience and have never seen the need to become a member.

Hking
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am not a member but FGC is my go-to range as I'm 20 mins away, otherwise I have to drive 2 1/2 hours to shoot on my own property.  My first 2 times went with a member, now if I'm on Eldorado I just look and see if the parking lot is under half full.  At times the lot can look full and folks are in classes but not actually using the lanes.  If the wait is longer than 15 mins I just go on about my day, I've never been bumped off a lane but then I only shoot 45 mins and am on my way.  I like that range stoppages are rare and have not seen any issues with over-zealous range officers.  I've never shot on their long gun ranges, I've never purchased food/drink nor have I noticed a dust issue.  I pay for convenience and have never seen the need to become a member.

Hking
View Quote

Thanks - appreciate your feedback. I'm also close - ~15 min away.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#13]
i used to be a member. I second that the filtration at FCG is not always running well.  They only have 4x100yrd lanes, and it seems at least 1 or 2 are always down.  It used to be convenient to call in and reserve a lane but then they started letting you only shoot for an hour.  I have never been impressed by their staff.  There seems to be only 1 or 2 guys that actually care about doing their job and helping customers. I've mentioned it before but they had an employee tell me to leave my lane within minutes of each other because of their time limit. i was checking all my firearms and making sure they're clear and he yelled at me to get off NOW. wtf, i still had at least 7 minutes left. Also, same as Tom, all members do get guest passes and I had 6 that i never used and when i tried to use one, they also told me they're no longer valid because of counterfeit use. Uh, it's very easy to have it in their system and check how many times they use a barcode. They can scan my member pass and see how many times I have used a guest pass, it can't be that difficult.

I'd rather join Eagle Gun Range, either of them (Farmers Branch or Lewisville) or RifleGear.  The RO's at Eagle are nice once they get to know you. Rifle Gear's range is really nice too and they actually turn on the filtration.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Had not heard of RifleGear. I had no idea there was a range in The Colony. This might actually be more convenient for me.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#15]
This new range will open soon....https://missionridgedfw.com/
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Been many times as a non-member.  Being 65 I take advantage of the senior citizen hours and pricing.  Always treated like I’m throwing money at them.

I’ve been shooting steel outdoors most of the year.  Given that it is too hot at 9 a.m. for shooting outside, I need to go to Frisco and shoot stuff that uses expensive and hard-to-get cases.  It’s easy to recover my brass with a little effort.  

It’s a 20 minute drive for me from Allen.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:52:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Been many times as a non-member.  Being 65 I take advantage of the senior citizen hours and pricing.  Always treated like I’m throwing money at them.

I’ve been shooting steel outdoors most of the year.  Given that it is too hot at 9 a.m. for shooting outside, I need to go to Frisco and shoot stuff that uses expensive and hard-to-get cases.  It’s easy to recover my brass with a little effort.  

It’s a 20 minute drive for me from Allen.
View Quote

Have you tried the new place in Allen? Texas legends or something like that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#18]
FGC used to be a decent place but got crappy IMHO.  I haven't been back in 2-3 years

The 1 hour limit on the 100y range was ridiculous with no one waiting at that time.

The final straw for me was when I had 9 year old daughter shooting.  They dropped a dude with a SBR, comp and no suppressor right in the lane next to me.  25 yd lanes and we were the only ones out there because it was middle of the day weekday.  

When I said something to them they had this rude IDGAF attitude.  Way to run off kids and new shooters.  We left and haven't been back since.

ETA....for close quick trips Riflegear has been decent to deal with.  If I've got time I take the kids to elm fork for their .22 western shooting gallery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top