Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2021 11:55:27 AM EDT
Looking for agencies that may be hiring.

Link Posted: 9/5/2021 12:22:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Helena PD is hiring.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, Lewis and Clark County Sheriff’s Office is looking to hire a Detention Officer.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suspect all Depts. in the State are hiring. Check out the Cascade county Sheriffs office. Our Sheriff is very Pro RKBA and testified in support of permit less carry and helped get it passed into law. He is registered as a Democrat but he admits he only did that to improve his chances of getting elected.
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Montana Highway Patrol is hiring…if you want free reign of the state.

https://mtstatejobs.taleo.net/careersection/200/jobdetail.ftl?job=21142188&tz=GMT-06%3A00&tzname=America%2FDenver

Very conservative state gov at the moment

AG is a 3 gun shooter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good luck on your first posting in Roundup or Circle.
View Quote

Within reason, we’ve been allowing people to choose first duty station…if it fits agency needs.

Kalispell, Missoula and the Bitterroot are full…about anywhere else is doable.

Billings, Bozeman are always in need of people.  There are some hella good stations that are open in great areas…Lewiston area has vacancy…one of the best areas of the state.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I dont know of a single agency not hiring.

You can choose from a huge metropolis to a little po-dunk if you want a laid back posting.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 11:55:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#12]
How hard is it to get accepted if you don't have any LEO experience?  I have a buddy in TX that I've mentored for a few years, and he's led a very sheltered life.  He wants to get out and experience the west.  About 1-2 classes shy of a CJ degree.  Incredibly fit, like top 100-300 in State CrossFit competitions.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's the matter with Roundup? Drove through there coming from Lewistown down to Billings. It didn't look nice, but it also didn't seem flat terrible either.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 1:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How hard is it to get accepted if you don't have any LEO experience?  I have a buddy in TX that I've mentored for a few years, and he's led a very sheltered life.  He wants to get out and experience the west.  About 1-2 classes shy of a CJ degree.  Incredibly fit, like top 100-300 in State CrossFit competitions.
View Quote

Not difficult…as long as there aren’t other disqualifications.

It is nice to have some life experience before jumping into LE…makes it much harder dealing with people when you don’t have the perspective and depth of experience to sympathize with people that are at a very low point in their life.

I will echo what elcope said…hard for the spouse to jump into a small town duty station…cliques abound…not as many job opportunities, and everybody knows who you are all the time.

I like kalispell for the anonymity…I can go about my business generally unknown on my off time; which is nice.

Link Posted: 9/6/2021 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not difficultas long as there aren't other disqualifications.

It is nice to have some life experience before jumping into LEmakes it much harder dealing with people when you don't have the perspective and depth of experience to sympathize with people that are at a very low point in their life.

I will echo what elcope saidhard for the spouse to jump into a small town duty stationcliques aboundnot as many job opportunities, and everybody knows who you are all the time.

I like kalispell for the anonymityI can go about my business generally unknown on my off time; which is nice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is nice to have some life experience before jumping into LEmakes it much harder dealing with people when you don't have the perspective and depth of experience to sympathize with people that are at a very low point in their life.

I will echo what elcope saidhard for the spouse to jump into a small town duty stationcliques aboundnot as many job opportunities, and everybody knows who you are all the time.

I like kalispell for the anonymityI can go about my business generally unknown on my off time; which is nice.

He's got no other disqualifications.  No wife.  Two dogs that he won't leave.  It is unfortunate that he's had so few life experiences.  Older parents and fairly poor.  Never been more than a few hundred miles from home, only one trip to Austin and one trip to NOLA.  

Even though I've told him that I would never go into LE, he's dead set on it.  He's 30ish, and has actually had experience as a CrossFit coach, but not much other than that.  I did send him the link to the job opening.  I hope that he applies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:06:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Billings pd is always hiring.
View Quote

great falls PD as well.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
He's got no other disqualifications.  No wife.  Two dogs that he won't leave.  It is unfortunate that he's had so few life experiences.  Older parents and fairly poor.  Never been more than a few hundred miles from home, only one trip to Austin and one trip to NOLA.  

Even though I've told him that I would never go into LE, he's dead set on it.  He's 30ish, and has actually had experience as a CrossFit coach, but not much other than that.  I did send him the link to the job opening.  I hope that he applies.
View Quote

probably a decent demand for crossfit coaches in missoula and bozeman.

he won't be able to afford to live in either on cop's pay.

ETA:  i could get him in at northwestern energy or PAR/rocky mountain.  

better working conditions and better pay/bennies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2021 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Man that's saying something about NWE - they've been hurting for linemen for years now. Retention is in the toilet for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 2:42:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What's the matter with Roundup? Drove through there coming from Lewistown down to Billings. It didn't look nice, but it also didn't seem flat terrible either.

View Quote
Freaking meth heads and out of state liberals have invaded the Bulls.
On top of the local druggies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 2:44:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Looking for agencies that may be hiring.

View Quote
Alaska State Troopers are always hiring.

Even city/village cops.
Although they will work you to death with drunk/drug calls.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Man that's saying something about NWE - they've been hurting for linemen for years now. Retention is in the toilet for a reason.
View Quote

everybody's hurting for linemen everywhere.

not a lot of youngsters going into that particular line of work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Alaska State Troopers are always hiring.

Even city/village cops.
Although they will work you to death with drunk/drug calls.
View Quote

i watched all nine seasons of AST twice.

thought about getting my app in until i saw the $36k/yr starting salary and the AK COL.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 10:59:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

i watched all nine seasons of AST twice.

thought about getting my app in until i saw the $36k/yr starting salary and the AK COL.  
View Quote
When was the last time you checked on the pay?

Troopers I know are doing pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When was the last time you checked on the pay?

Troopers I know are doing pretty damn good.
View Quote

looked into it a couple years ago.

the AST has no need for a large heterosexual right handed blue eyed white male from a rural area.

if i weren't a large heterosexual right handed blue eyed white male, well...
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So, identify as a left-handed black lesbian.
View Quote

i've thought about doing that.

i'd be a CEO by now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:04:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Youngest guy I know getting into it is 18 but he's an outlier. Next youngest is 40.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 11:40:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

looked into it a couple years ago.

the AST has no need for a large heterosexual right handed blue eyed white male from a rural area.

if i weren't a large heterosexual right handed blue eyed white male, well...
/quote]

Latest pay.
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Youngest guy I know getting into it is 18 but he's an outlier. Next youngest is 40.
View Quote

40 year old apprentice?

i wish him the best of luck.

it's a young man's game.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

40 year old apprentice?

it's a young man's game.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

40 year old apprentice?

it's a young man's game.  

Oh for sure. He's been busting his ass for a decade in an "officially unofficial" capacity in industrial electrical work so he's not going in blind but - yeah. It's going to be a trip for him I think.
Link Posted: 9/9/2021 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Montana Highway Patrol is hiring…if you want free reign of the state.

https://mtstatejobs.taleo.net/careersection/200/jobdetail.ftl?job=21142188&tz=GMT-06%3A00&tzname=America%2FDenver

Very conservative state gov at the moment

AG is a 3 gun shooter.

I’ll see your Roundup or Circle and raise you a Plentywood.

A guy I work with is former highway patrol. He got sent to Plentywood. Cut Bank is a step UP.
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 1:16:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/10/2021 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Plentywood as a single guy wouldn't be so bad. Lots of good hunting. Antelope, mulies, coyotes, etc.

As a married guy, divorce in 6-8 months.
View Quote

Somehow he stayed married. I think it’s because his wife is very much like him, and they’d both fit in on this forum (maybe not GD) or any site or group dedicated to preparedness, long term food storage, etc.

He offered to sell me his place in Plentywood, it was a great price but it’s on the other side of the state. I don’t like going east of Marias Pass, I sure don’t want to live that far east.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
@KnightSchneider

sounds like you are highway patrol. My buddy just got his first rejection notice from them. Is there anyone he could talk to to see what he needs to improve upon?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top