Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2019 9:31:57 AM EDT
Entertaining buying a house on the lake. Curious about when private property is in the Forrest what restrictions does the government enforce? Seems like a huge turnover rate down there too.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 1:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Buying a house on Lake Cumberland and the Daniel Boon National Forest aren't very related. You mean the Cumberland River?
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 8:12:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Many of the lakes in Kentucky, including Lake Cumberland, are surrounded by a wildlife management areas or the shore to the ridge is controlled by the Army Corps.  There are very few places you can buy a house on a lake.  You can buy a house overlooking a lake but are prohibited from cutting down down any tree that might be in the way of the view.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes all land touching Lake Cumberland is controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers to an elevation of 760' or higher. You would not be granted a permit for a private dock or boat house or even steps down to the lake.
You might be able to obtain a permit to build a path to the lake from your property to the water but you would have to make it "public" upon completion.
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, so it would be in this area on the forest side. Some people I guess misspeak by loosely calling it the lake area, that is probably my misunderstanding. But it would be in the Daneil Boone I guess, on the river. If you own property in the Forest can they restrict you by digging, or cutting?

Where does the lake start anyways?
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 1:35:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ok, so it would be in this area on the forest side. Some people I guess misspeak by loosely calling it the lake area, that is probably my misunderstanding. But it would be in the Daneil Boone I guess, on the river. If you own property in the Forest can they restrict you by digging, or cutting?

Where does the lake start anyways?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/445788/5CDFED48-5AA7-4619-8EC9-C58AEE3064EA-977354.jpg
View Quote
You are not referencing the Cumberland River at the part indicated
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I don’t know what the hell it is. Only label on a map says south fork Cumberland river. It looks like it only exists because of the lake, otherwise it would just be a small waterway.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#7]
The lake is generally accepted to begin at approx Burnside.

I am not sure what the Corps is responsible for in a National Forest if anything.
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Google maps satellite view shows private docks in the river in that area.   However, keep in mind that Lake Cumberland is lowered 30+ feet every winter and floods in the spring.  You would have a bluff wall to navigate down to get to a private dock.  This past spring the lake was 29 feet over summer pool.  So a dock would need to be able to handle a 60 foot elevation change.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top