Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2020 1:08:51 PM EDT
I'm retiring in a few years and considering selling our place in Austin and getting few acres along there.

It looks like Fremont county is a 2A sanctuary and if I were along 115, I have pretty easy access to Colorado Springs or Penrose/Portland and Canon City for groceries and such.

Don't worry, I'll be voting pro 2A.

It looks like there are all kinds of interesting spots along there with pretty nice views.

Is anybody else here in that area and what do you think of it?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t live down there but have been driving it daily.

There’s a lot of truck traffic on 115.

It’s tucked up to the mountains so it’ll get slick before most other roads.

El Paso county section of 115 is a higher income area. Fremont section of 115 is lower income. There are bigger plots where you could have yourself a buffer from neighbors. Just be prepared if you do look in that area there’s plenty of run down mobile homes down towards Penrose.

Virtually everything East of 115 is Ft Carson. They have a  lot of live fire training in the summer if explosions may be a problem for you. On the plus side you occasionally see our heroes doing cool shit. A few days ago they were jumping from C130’s down at the southern end.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank for the info.

We're going to come and hang out a few days this summer and just drive around checking out the area in more detail. Sounds like we should start up north.

The Army base could be handy. Although I haven't used it, I understand my Veterans ID gets me PX and commissary privileges nowadays.

And being able to blame random sounds of gunfire on military exercises could be a useful excuse!
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 6:48:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I like that area, you can a little space from the traffic. Its dry though. How much land are you thinking? I had a real nice conversation with a realtor this past weekend at the sportsman show. He really laid out the ins and outs of the water rights issue and I was glad to learn more about it. If you are going to build, its something to research. Anything pre 22' compact is good if you can find it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:39:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what you mean by pre 22' compact? OH, I see the Colorado River Compact, got it.

I'm thinking 10+ acres with a 2500 sqft house + 500 sqft of shop space + 2 car garage.  I don't want to be way out in the sticks, but a comfortable 10 miles out of town, give or take.

Doesn't have to all be under the same roof, but something that gives me a place to do some woodworking and maybe add a reloading bench too.
Some land to tromp around on and see the animals, but that doesn't require mowing or a lot of maintenance.

A fixer upper is fine with me, I'm game for the task. You can see my kitchen reno pictures in the DIY forum.
It's even kind of preferred as that can make my $$ go further on the original price and then I can spring for nice stuff later.

My wife is finding a lot of properties like this, but we're still a few years away. But at least it's a gauge of what's possible.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 9:50:51 PM EDT
[#5]
You should look east of town, too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You should look east of town, too.
View Quote
Yeah, Peyton Pines area(aka Bijou Basin). There’s a few ARCOMMERS out that way. Might be a little further out than he wants though. It is beautiful with elk, turkey, mule deer and antelope. There was that home invasion but what area doesn’t have those.
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#7]
It's expensive but you may also consider Black Forest. Plusses are a bit easier access to Colorado Springs, and Denver. Pretty area.

Also between Black Forest and Castle Rock east of I-25 is a decent area as well. Lots of choices.

El Paso County is the reddest county in Colorado and it has the population to back it up. It's probably the best place to be in Colorado, politically.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's expensive but you may also consider Black Forest. Plusses are a bit easier access to Colorado Springs, and Denver. Pretty area.

Also between Black Forest and Castle Rock east of I-25 is a decent area as well. Lots of choices.

El Paso County is the reddest county in Colorado and it has the population to back it up. It's probably the best place to be in Colorado, politically.
View Quote
Couldn't agree more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Couldn't agree more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Couldn't agree more.
BF is a very nice area. Property values are currently high and deservedly so. ~50% of the homes are brand new due to the fire. Due to that reason fire insurance rates may still be inflated as well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

BF is a very nice area. Property values are currently high and deservedly so. ~50% of the homes are brand new due to the fire. Due to that reason fire insurance rates may still be inflated as well.
View Quote
I'm on the edge of Black Forest. I really enjoy it. My insurance rates did go up ~30% after the BF Fire.
Living in unincorporated El Paso County is also a big help when it comes to things like car purchases, too, because of the lower tax rate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 5:54:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Lots of wild turkeys.  Mmmmmmmm
And a semi frequent big cat
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm on the edge of Black Forest. I really enjoy it. My insurance rates did go up ~30% after the BF Fire.
Living in unincorporated El Paso County is also a big help when it comes to things like car purchases, too, because of the lower tax rate.
View Quote
If I'm in the unincorporated part of the county, is the need for permits and inspections for DIY home improvements reduced?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 3:10:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If I'm in the unincorporated part of the county, is the need for permits and inspections for DIY home improvements reduced?
View Quote
I'd assume so. But unfortunately I live where there's an HOA, so no shortcuts for me.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I too am looking in this area (roughly 40 acres if west 115, but am also looking just east of Fountain too at 50-100 acres).  I keep hearing about "water rights".

Can anyone point me to publications for me to read and understand what yall are talking about in regards to this.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#15]

I am under contract for 50 acres off of CR11!!

I will be sitting on my deck and viewing the Sangre de Cristo mountains in a few years.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By seand1111:
I too am looking in this area (roughly 40 acres if west 115, but am also looking just east of Fountain too at 50-100 acres).  I keep hearing about "water rights".  

Can anyone point me to publications for me to read and understand what yall are talking about in regards to this.  Thanks.
View Quote

@seand1111

We went up and got this all sorted out...

So here is the basic deal.

If your property < 35.00 acres, your well water cannot be used outdoors at all. Legally, you can't even water daisies on your front porch. ( you can still have an outside hose bib, but it's only valid use is FIRE PREVENTION )

As long as it is >= 35.00, then you can use the water for indoor use, residential irrigation, but not commercial.

There are grandfather clauses for wells drilled before 1972 on smaller properties, but those are few and far between. Just buy 35+ acres and you will be fine.

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Andr0id:

I am under contract for 50 acres off of CR11!!

I will be sitting on my deck and viewing the Sangre de Cristo mountains in a few years.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2020 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Andr0id:

I am under contract for 50 acres off of CR11!!

I will be sitting on my deck and viewing the Sangre de Cristo mountains in a few years.
View Quote

CR11? There's like nothing out there. Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 1:50:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@seand1111

We went up and got this all sorted out...

So here is the basic deal.

If your property < 35.00 acres, your well water cannot be used outdoors at all. Legally, you can't even water daisies on your front porch. ( you can still have an outside hose bib, but it's only valid use is FIRE PREVENTION )

As long as it is >= 35.00, then you can use the water for indoor use, residential irrigation, but not commercial.

There are grandfather clauses for wells drilled before 1972 on smaller properties, but those are few and far between. Just buy 35+ acres and you will be fine.

View Quote

Cool, thanks for the heads up.  40+ will be the goal then....
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 2:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am under contract for 50 acres off of CR11!!

I will be sitting on my deck and viewing the Sangre de Cristo mountains in a few years.
View Quote

If you don't mind, what did you get the 50 for $$ and where is CR11?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

CR11? There's like nothing out there. Good luck!
View Quote

LOL!

That's the point of moving out of town!
However one of the nice things about this property is that I only have about 3/4" mile of unpaved road. Canon City is only 25 minutes away.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It goes down to road way down at the bottom of the hill.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 10:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]
If you want to take up a challenging shooting sport ( if you are not already a practitioner) try Olympic bunker trap shooting. The USA Shooting shotgun training center is south of Ft Carson on highway 115. You need a membership to the range to shoot there, as it is technically on base, but has a separate entrance off 115.

Link Posted: 6/30/2020 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#23]
We closed!

It's 100% ours.

Had a picnic on the hill and met several of the neighbors.

We'll start building stuff in the spring.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Update,

We went up a few weeks ago and met with the well driller rep, the electric company and also had soil samples taken for the foundation and septic system.

I have not actually written any checks, but I have committed to spending a ton of $$$$ at this point.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:05:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Congrats man, good luck with the buildout.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Update,

We went up a few weeks ago and met with the well driller rep, the electric company and also had soil samples taken for the foundation and septic system.

I have not actually written any checks, but I have committed to spending a ton of $$$$ at this point.
View Quote

Very cool.  Definitely keep us posted.  You're doing what I'd like to do in the future.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Update,

View Quote

Cool, I look forward to the updates. Access to power and water are the two biggest items when I look for land in CO. I will be interested in what it costs for your location. Its very dry these days.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Beautiful area, but you are going to get a lot of training noise from Carson.  Their artillery especially will be something you notice as it reverberates off the mountains there.  Im former arty, so its not a deal breaker for me, but just something to be cognizant of.
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:04:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Beautiful area, but you are going to get a lot of training noise from Carson.  Their artillery especially will be something you notice as it reverberates off the mountains there.  Im former arty, so its not a deal breaker for me, but just something to be cognizant of.
View Quote

@gumbii

We ended up a couple of mountain ranges over from Ft Carson and haven't really heard any shelling while we have been up there.

I'm near the CR11 (High Park Rd) and CR5 intersection if you know the area.

Link Posted: 10/7/2020 12:12:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Cool, I look forward to the updates. Access to power and water are the two biggest items when I look for land in CO. I will be interested in what it costs for your location. Its very dry these days.
View Quote

We're with Sangre de Cristo Electric Assoc.

I just got the work order to sign off on and it's going to be a bit under $11,500 to run underground high voltage 300ft from the street to a meter location close to the house.
That includes a concrete pad, transformer and the meter box.  We'll be getting 200A service. That's max available for residential, but I'll think we'll be fine.

From talking to neighbors, I was expecting around 10K, so that's not too bad for how far we are going to be from the road.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top