Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2023 10:44:51 PM EDT
Up at my farm, outside Durant, I am having a die off of locust trees. The scary ones with the long thorns. It is only these trees. I had about 20 die off in a small patch of forest by the house.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Those are Honey Locust. Check for Locust Borers.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
We’ve lost a few but don’t worry 200-300 will pop up to take their place. Pine borers are killing pine trees left and right here. I got more dying than I can cut and mill.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#3]
What trees will we end up with, emerald ash borers got all my trees, Oak wilt could take the rest of them soon. Chinese pistachio seems tolerant, but its not an out front of your house tree. Live Oak have been dying in North Texas for a while. Who wants to spend thousands to cut the roots from one oak to another to stop the spread thru the ground.

Eastern red cedar may stand up to the stress, and holly of any type seems to survive well. A lot of the tall Italian cypress were taken out by the virus.   Hackberry's are not a choice for me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 8:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Hickory seems to be the most tolerant tree here. I think Hackberry is an ugly tree, even though I have one in my yard with a persimmon next to it. My native pecan trees are doing well. A storm last year got my Catawba tree.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Pecans are doing ok. Not even a lot of bag worms this year. Tornado a few years back snapped all my large hackberries by the house like twigs. Of course there are the boos d’arcs. Nothing phases those guys.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pecans are doing ok. Not even a lot of bag worms this year. Tornado a few years back snapped all my large hackberries by the house like twigs. Of course there are the boos d’arcs. Nothing phases those guys.
View Quote

Them Osage Orange are even hard on my brush cutter.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top