Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2018 12:02:10 AM EDT
Anybody find any clarification yet on what actually falls into "rate increasing devices"
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#1]
It's going to be up to the Courts which means they will need test cases.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 6:52:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's going to be up to the Courts which means they will need test cases.
View Quote
Removed...
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Anybody find any clarification yet on what actually falls into "rate increasing devices"
View Quote
I will post the statute, to show how vague it is.  You can see that it will be hard to know what device(s) may violate the statute.

I am afraid that those that don't pay close attention to the new law, thinking that "they don't own a bump stock" are going to unknowingly violate the new law, possessing some other device.

I think the scariest part is the fact that you don't have to "use" the device in order to violate the statute.  Just having it in a drawer, in your workshop, is a felony.  So, 20 years ago when you walked through the gun show and picked up that silly "crank" that is now somewhere in the back of a drawer, now makes you a felon. And you probably never even bothered to take it to the range and try it out.

790.222 Bump-fire stocks prohibited.—
A person may not import into this state or transfer, distribute, sell, keep for sale, offer for sale, possess, or give to another person a bump fire stock. A person who violates this section commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 741 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, the term “bump fire stock” means a conversion kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device used to alter the rate of fire of a firearm to mimic automatic weapon fire or which is used to increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:05:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't see this as enforceable at all.

I myself will not enforce the law if on the road as it does not specify for me how to satisfy the most important element... and that is "increased rate of fire". I'll be glad to have one of my guys submit a report to the SAO for warrant consideration, and ask FDLE's firearms lab to distinguish what the rifle can and cannot do, then provide the necessary forensic evidence to satisfy the required element... other than that, I still have a legal and ethical obligation to consider arrest/enforcement action based on PC when a law is violated if I have facts and information to support that PC. ETA- and w/o the above information, I don't believe I have PC. One of the most important aspects of PC is the Officer's BELIEF that the elements of a crime have been met.

The design of the FCG renders the AR capable of firing faster than most people can pull the trigger... all a bump stock does is help reach what the rifle is capable of by design... it does not "increase" the rifle's rate of fire per se mechanically, at least that's how I see it.
View Quote
Would you enforce the law if it were a ban on AR15's - or 'assault' weapons, hi cap magazines, etc?
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Would you enforce the law if it were a ban on AR15's - or 'assault' weapons, hi cap magazines, etc?
View Quote
If it came to that, depending on WHAT was in the law, I'd make a decision then... retirement is an option.

Not going to comment on what if stuff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will post the statute, to show how vague it is.  You can see that it will be hard to know what device(s) may violate the statute.

I am afraid that those that don't pay close attention to the new law, thinking that "they don't own a bump stock" are going to unknowingly violate the new law, possessing some other device.

I think the scariest part is the fact that you don't have to "use" the device in order to violate the statute.  Just having it in a drawer, in your workshop, is a felony.  So, 20 years ago when you walked through the gun show and picked up that silly "crank" that is now somewhere in the back of a drawer, now makes you a felon. And you probably never even bothered to take it to the range and try it out.

A person may not import into this state or transfer, distribute, sell, keep for sale, offer for sale, possess, or give to another person a bump fire stock. A person who violates this section commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 741 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, the term “bump fire stock” means a conversion kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device used to alter the rate of fire of a firearm to mimic automatic weapon fire or which is used to increase the rate of fire to a faster rate than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I read it during the Committee vote, I guess we will see who will be the first one arrested at the range for shooting "too fast"
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Out of curiosity what is a Floridian supposed to do with his or her bump stock before the new law goes into effect? Is there any reimbursement for stripping away an item they legally obtained that will now be deemed illegal? Or do those who have em just have to fork em over or provide proof of destruction..?

I remember reading something not long ago after CA banned standard capacity mags that hardly any had been turned in... maybe they were all independently destroyed by their owners. Or I guess maybe they were all pinned at 10 rnds.

Just curious how that part of the new law there is worded...
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity what is a Floridian supposed to do with his or her bump stock before the new law goes into effect? Is there any reimbursement for stripping away an item they legally obtained that will now be deemed illegal? Or do those who have em just have to fork em over or provide proof of destruction..?

I remember reading something not long ago after CA banned standard capacity mags that hardly any had been turned in... maybe they were all independently destroyed by their owners. Or I guess maybe they were all pinned at 10 rnds.

Just curious how that part of the new law there is worded...
View Quote
Here is how it’s worded, no mention of compensation:

Some people will attempt to sell them out of state before that part of the law takes effect in October, some will stash them away silently knowing they are committing felony, some will turn them in to police or destroy them.  Hopefully law suits against the state will follow.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 1:40:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Have to wait and see, but I have a few comments.

You can bet your bottom dollar right now that means any and all versions of "bump stocks."  I bet that also means trigger cranks.

BUT, a few things to note about the law.

1)  Statutes can be void for vagueness and citizens have to be under notice of what is actually prohibited.  If a statute is too vague, it doesn't tell citizens what they can and can't do.  That's exactly the situation we're in right now.  We haven't a clue what they really mean here, so a reasonable Judge should ask "If you don't tell them what is prohibited, how can they expected to know and avoid it?"

Eventually the state is going to have to issue guidelines or there will be a test case where a Judge will either throw that portion of the law out or establish guidelines in the decision.

2)  Statutes can also be void for being too broad.  Generally speaking, laws have to be fairly narrowly-tailored to address a specific purpose.  If the law is so broad that it could encompass something like a basic spring or trigger, the court might be inclined to say "whoa whoa whoa, slow down.  This is too broad."

Basically, we'll just have to keep an eye on it.  But get rid of your bumpstocks...the damn statute names them specifically in the name of the section.  They're toast.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I agree their description of a bump stock is way to vague.  It lists the device as a "Bump Stock", but the description allows for pretty much anything that could increase the rate of fire of a firearm.  Well, does anyone think a trigger, trigger spring, crank, binary trigger, or rubber band look like a "stock?"  An aggressive attorney could claim any part of a rifle can increase the rate of fire, including a muzzle device, forward grip, magazine, red dot, laser, etc.  What exactly is the standard, a muzzle loader?  If so, then ammunition itself increases the rate of fire.  That's how poorly this law was written, and I'm not sure it was by mistake.
Link Posted: 3/29/2018 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Basically, we'll just have to keep an eye on it.  But get rid of your bumpstocks...the damn statute names them specifically in the name of the section.  They're toast.
View Quote
You are using the common definition of a bump stock but the statute specifically defines what a bump fire stock is and the point of this thread is we still don't know what that one is.

As the statute does not define how you measure rate of fire or for that matter what "increases" is relative to it could be argued that even an actual bump stock isn't banned because it doesn't increase rate of fire (if rate of fire has the more common meaning on how quickly the gun can reset itself to fire another shot).
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Most "bump" stocks also have a pin that lets then function like a normal fixed stock.  Courts are going to have fun with this one.
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 2:05:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Most "bump" stocks also have a pin that lets then function like a normal fixed stock.  Courts are going to have fun with this one.
View Quote
I've wondered abut that as well. If someone has a bump stock with the pin in place at the time it is seized, it isn't capable of doing anything other than being a regular stock so it may not be a bump fire stock as defined by the statute.

Taken one step farther, if the pin is superglued in place is that enough to convert the bump stock to a stock?
Link Posted: 3/30/2018 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]
They certainly managed to push this turd law though the process even faster than they could write it.

Just goes to show you that when they really want to enact legislation, they can slip a bill through all of the committees, both houses, and the governor's desk like greased lightning.

Open carry on the other hand...........
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 9:56:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They certainly managed to push this turd law though the process even faster than they could write it.

Just goes to show you that when they really want to enact legislation, they can slip a bill through all of the committees, both houses, and the governor's desk like greased lightning.

Open carry on the other hand...........
View Quote
People keep talking of "compromise." Politicians keep compromising our rights in an attempt to further their political aspirations, but what have we gotten in return?
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

People keep talking of "compromise." Politicians keep compromising our rights in an attempt to further their political aspirations, but what have we gotten in return?
View Quote
One step closer to the death camps, I'm afraid. Be realistic here. The days are numbered for the ole US. I'm not one to give up easy but the writing is showing it's ugly face on the wall.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 11:59:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity what is a Floridian supposed to do with his or her bump stock before the new law goes into effect?
View Quote
Funny how gun owners are the worst at maneuvering a Boat in the water...
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Funny how gun owners are the worst at maneuvering a Boat in the water...
View Quote
I was just curious bro. Im not in Florida and I've never experienced any sort of ban as an adult.
Im sure they don't make things crystal clear they just probably say "get rid of it"... dumm.

I like the idea posted above about glueing or otherwise securing the pin as to not allow it to bump, atleast that way you could possibly keep it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2018 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was just curious bro. Im not in Florida and I've never experienced any sort of ban as an adult.
Im sure they don't make things crystal clear they just probably say "get rid of it"... dumm.

I like the idea posted above about glueing or otherwise securing the pin as to not allow it to bump, atleast that way you could possibly keep it.
View Quote
Pretty clear.  Get rid of it by October 1 or become a felon.
Link Posted: 4/7/2018 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty clear.  Get rid of it by October 1 or become a felon.
View Quote
Title II is right.  It's pretty black and white.

However, come October 1, I wouldn't want to be a boat on the water as everyone will be having freak boating accidents that day....
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#21]
I was more referring to whether or not the jagoffs that wrote the law gave instructions on actually getting rid of it. I was just curious as I do not live in FL and don't even own a bump stock.

You guys think they'll take another run at banning ARs in the near future/next ballot?

Florida is generally a well balanced state regarding republican vs libturds in office compared to the left coast right? What I mean is 2A rights are generally much safer in FL than say CA, OR and WA right? Trying to ascertain whether this horseshit will die off after the bumpstocks or are these fuggers gonna run this shit til the wheels fall off? Opionions on that?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I was more referring to whether or not the jagoffs that wrote the law gave instructions on actually getting rid of it. I was just curious as I do not live in FL and don't even own a bump stock.

You guys think they'll take another run at banning ARs in the near future/next ballot?

Florida is generally a well balanced state regarding republican vs libturds in office compared to the left coast right? What I mean is 2A rights are generally much safer in FL than say CA, OR and WA right? Trying to ascertain whether this horseshit will die off after the bumpstocks or are these fuggers gonna run this shit til the wheels fall off? Opionions on that?
View Quote
This shit will never die off.  The gun grabbers won't be satisfied until us common folks have zero means to defend ourselves.  Just look at London now, they are going after the knives now!!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yeah I read it during the Committee vote, I guess we will see who will be the first one arrested at the range for shooting "too fast"
View Quote
I had brought this up in another thread. Will we see ranges discouraging or outright prohibiting rapid fire, if they had not already, in order to not draw attention of law enforcement.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 8:03:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had brought this up in another thread. Will we see ranges discouraging or outright prohibiting rapid fire, if they had not already, in order to not draw attention of law enforcement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, Im having a hard time finding any kind of range around pensacola that lets you do any kind of rapid fire drills, Probably should just buy land or join a good club
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yep, Im having a hard time finding any kind of range around pensacola that lets you do any kind of rapid fire drills, Probably should just buy land or join a good club
View Quote
Amen on that!  ERML stopped MG firing (said it was a unanimous vote...it wasn't...I was there and did not vote for the ban).  PRPC board of directors also voted against full auto fire after 2 non members violated the rule of no long bursts (~10 rounds or less bursts used to be OK).  I'm lucky...for MG testing (a new load, new parts, new mag, whatever, just want to fire a burst, have the grand kids over to shoot) I just let me wife know I'll be in the pasture or front yard MG shooting.  Or, I have the combination to the gate at a neighbor's property 2 miles away with a backstop and they allow MG/rapid fire.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
We either have hardcore leftists or Country Club Republicans. One hates guns, the others are just warmed over Fudds. Florida is not gun friendly, it only survived because the Legislature is generally ineffective and some red county push back.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 7:23:41 PM EDT
[#27]
I still can't wrap my mind around the concept of an American Citizen  "committing a felony" passively by not destroying or otherwise doing away with legally purchased and previously  legally owned personal property.

The government, and not the individual, has committed  the act that will create  felons of law abiding citizens.

This is a very big deal that transcends the bump stock issue.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 11:34:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I still can't wrap my mind around the concept of an American Citizen  "committing a felony" passively by not destroying or otherwise doing away with legally purchased and previously  legally owned personal property.

The government, and not the individual, has committed  the act that will create  felons of law abiding citizens.

View Quote
I totally agree with this assessment...

The Slippery Slope beyond just the bump stock ban issue...

What other legal product currently is next on the Government future chopping block list... High Cap Mags ? Blade Stocks ?

I don’t like the precedent that was set with 7026 at all under FSS 791.101
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Amen on that!  ERML stopped MG firing (said it was a unanimous vote...it wasn't...I was there and did not vote for the ban).  PRPC board of directors also voted against full auto fire after 2 non members violated the rule of no long bursts (~10 rounds or less bursts used to be OK).  I'm lucky...for MG testing (a new load, new parts, new mag, whatever, just want to fire a burst, have the grand kids over to shoot) I just let me wife know I'll be in the pasture or front yard MG shooting.  Or, I have the combination to the gate at a neighbor's property 2 miles away with a backstop and they allow MG/rapid fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that sucks, is non mg rapid fire still ok. I am thinking about joining as I live pretty close by.

Sorry for derailment
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:15:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Just wondering, what if people legitimately don't even know about this new law?

They have a bumpstock, but don't know about this new law, or didn't realize the law was being enforced on such and such date and they get hemmed up. (No, I don't have a bumpstock btw).

What kind of notification process is there of this new law, if any?

Or is it just too bad, so sad? You didn't know of the law, now your f'd.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
.Gov declares an individual a felon for possessing an object that was legal to possess yesterday.....   Intolerable Statute.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:58:21 AM EDT
[#32]
The Florida State Constitution regarding the topic of firearms, in particular section 8 paragraph (a).

Is the bump stock law even constitutional?

SECTION 8. Right to bear arms.—

(a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed, except that the manner of bearing arms may be regulated by law.

(b) There shall be a mandatory period of three days, excluding weekends and legal holidays, between the purchase and delivery at retail of any handgun. For the purposes of this section, “purchase” means the transfer of money or other valuable consideration to the retailer, and “handgun” means a firearm capable of being carried and used by one hand, such as a pistol or revolver. Holders of a concealed weapon permit as prescribed in Florida law shall not be subject to the provisions of this paragraph.

(c) The legislature shall enact legislation implementing subsection (b) of this section, effective no later than December 31, 1991, which shall provide that anyone violating the provisions of subsection (b) shall be guilty of a felony.

(d) This restriction shall not apply to a trade in of another handgun.

History.—Am. C.S. for S.J.R. 43, 1989; adopted 1990.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've never seen a range in Florida allow rapid fire unless they had some sort of private area. As far as I am concerned, you couldn't shoot bump stocks unless you owned a lot of land which very few people do.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've never seen a range in Florida allow rapid fire unless they had some sort of private area. As far as I am concerned, you couldn't shoot bump stocks unless you owned a lot of land which very few people do.
View Quote
Shoot Straight at WPB, and I believe, other locations,  allows rapid fire as well as full auto so long as you're in control of your gun, and they allowed bump firing stocks as well.

What the future will bring, who knows.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:44:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Looking at the language:

....than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device.

So if you are able to bump fire the semiautomatic firearm unassisted by any other device and produce an equal or superior rate of fire, it becomes very hard for them to prove that any device accomplishes that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 1:14:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Looking at the language:

....than is possible for a person to fire such semiautomatic firearm unassisted by a kit, a tool, an accessory, or a device.

So if you are able to bump fire the semiautomatic firearm unassisted by any other device and produce an equal or superior rate of fire, it becomes very hard for them to prove that any device accomplishes that.
View Quote
Excellent point!!!  Of course, will "they" see it that way?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Webb does every other Sunday
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Webb does every other Sunday
View Quote
Yeah, but with all the people getting injured or killed out there on rapid fire day how long do you expect that to last?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 9:54:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's that part that to me makes this easy to challenge. I can bump fire every single one of my rifles, without any mods.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's that part that to me makes this easy to challenge. I can bump fire every single one of my rifles, without any mods.
View Quote
Are my belt loops considered an accessory device? Will need to cut them off all my britches?
What about my thumbs?
Stupid law is absurd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top