Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2018 7:27:33 PM EDT
I think the old thread archived but there was talk of them closing down for a remodel at some point this year.  Have they done that yet or are they still open?
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:43:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I think the old thread archived but there was talk of them closing down for a remodel at some point this year.  Have they done that yet or are they still open?
View Quote
Their closing on the 30th of this month last reports. I'm going there tomorrow and will update this if there has been a change.

6 months to a year is what they've told me is how long it'll be closed. They say weather is the main factor there
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 9:45:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Their closing on the 30th of this month last reports. I'm going there tomorrow and will update this if there has been a change.

6 months to a year is what they've told me is how long it'll be closed. They say weather is the main factor there
View Quote
Thanks.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 10:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
This will suck... Are there any other public outdoor ranges in the greater Cincinnati area?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This will suck... Are there any other public outdoor ranges in the greater Cincinnati area?
View Quote
Not public, only other ranges are members only and they have waiting lists.

It is closing on the 30th,  I'm here now zeroing a couple of Ars while I can
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:29:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not public, only other ranges are members only and they have waiting lists.

It is closing on the 30th,  I'm here now zeroing a couple of Ars while I can
View Quote
Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 4:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Will the shotgun area remain open?
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nope, that's one of the areas planned for work
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, crap. I just bought five shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 5:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah it sucks. I'm there most every Sunday. I guess I'll start going to one of the indoor ranges to work on my non existent handgun skills.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Will the shotgun area still be free when it reopens.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll ask tomorrow if I think of it but they might not even know as of right now.

ETA: If the new shotgun range ends up being supervised, it will be pay to shoot.

Potato cam pic of range improvements:

Link Posted: 9/15/2018 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#12]
..was there a press release or anything for this?...

...i found this talking about a whole series of renovations, but it is from 2015:
http://ohiodnr.gov/news/post/renovations-for-shooting-ranges-announced
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 10:19:47 AM EDT
[#13]
They put up a sign says Range Close 9/30 5PM. Looks like for real this time. The big question is when they would reopen and if they were going to make arrangement to have a near by private range honor the range permit like Delaware range. There is no other public range in the area. Hopefully they already sort out with EPA, not like Delaware Range that turned out closed forever!
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 4:54:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They put up a sign says Range Close 9/30 5PM. Looks like for real this time. The big question is when they would reopen and if they were going to make arrangement to have a near by private range honor the range permit like Delaware range. There is no other public range in the area. Hopefully they already sort out with EPA, not like Delaware Range that turned out closed forever!
View Quote
Wow.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 7:36:42 PM EDT
[#15]
yup
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
All wildlife ranges require a permit now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Part of the problem with the Delaware range is that the state leases the land from the Army Corps of Engineers. The issue seems to be who is responsible to pay for cleanup and solve the flooding problem, the state of Ohio or the Army Corps of Engineers. The Spring Valley range land is owned by the state.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#18]
..was out there the last two weekends in Sept, ...talked to one of the RSOs, and he said the plan is to basically level everything and start from scratch!
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:14:32 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.whio.com/news/state-greene-county-shooting-range-closes-for-major-facelift/PHqc82ZDXyV4DWC3MOrU9K/

Another article on improvements to spring valley
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:56:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Part of the problem with the Delaware range is that the state leases the land from the Army Corps of Engineers. The issue seems to be who is responsible to pay for cleanup and solve the flooding problem, the state of Ohio or the Army Corps of Engineers. The Spring Valley range land is owned by the state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I knew the ACoE was involved as it is their land, what is the final verdict? Is it permanent closed?
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I've heard the rifle range will go to 300yds, but have never seen that in print. I'd like to see at least 25 pistol stations instead of the 5 they have now.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 8:46:25 PM EDT
[#22]
looks like it won't reopen until oct 2019!
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:41:58 PM EDT
[#23]
...good article explaining some of the finer details about what's changing...

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/spring-valley-wildlife-area-range-modernization
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 7:34:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I knew the ACoE was involved as it is their land, what is the final verdict? Is it permanent closed?
View Quote
If the ODNR guys are at OGCA again today I'll ask if there's any updates.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#25]
There is Miller's campground that has a public range near Waynesville. It looks redneck. I'm sure it's nothing like DNR range.
I took a Carbine class there, we had the whole range for the day so I don't know what it's like on a normal day.
They have an old school bus you can shoot from.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 6:58:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is Miller's campground that has a public range near Waynesville. It looks redneck. I'm sure it's nothing like DNR range.
I took a Carbine class there, we had the whole range for the day so I don't know what it's like on a normal day.
They have an old school bus you can shoot from.
View Quote
I don't think Miller is still open to public shooting. When was your class?
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
It was over a year ago, but they had another class there this summer. I had other plans and couldn't attend.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Spring Valley Range was closed 10/1, just curious when did they actually start constructions or not even started yet? What is the progress so far?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 8:42:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Looked like they've made good progress on the new entry road when I drove past a few weeks ago. I couldn't see the ranges from Houston Road though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Glad to hear they've started the work.
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Glad to hear they've started the work.
View Quote
Here's a pic from today of the new entrance drive.

Link Posted: 2/16/2019 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the update. Hope they made good progress on the range and facilities constructions inside. Originally they said 8-10 months, has been 4.5 months now and should be half way done!
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#33]
With as much rain as we've had, I'd expect it to go longer than estimated
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 9:25:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
With as much rain as we've had, I'd expect it to go longer than estimated
View Quote
This.

I’m in commercial construction, couldn’t tell you the last project I’ve been on that started/finished within a month of what was scheduled.

Now add above normal rainfall and .gov specs - it’ll be awhile before this project is completed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 5:55:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Not much progress it seems.

Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:36:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Well, that pile of gravels is gone! Thanks for the update. 6 months now, maybe constructions inside are all done, pave the road, install a gate and a grand opening next month!
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#37]
A friend of mine is doing the site work. I’ll touch base with him tomorrow and report back
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 5:16:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A friend of mine is doing the site work. I'll touch base with him tomorrow and report back
View Quote
Ask him if any work has started on the range itself.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Same Instructor is using Millers again this year. They had a handgun class scheduled for last Saturday, not sure if they had it with the crappy weather.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for those who keep updating this thread.
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish I have a drone and fly in there to see what progress so far! Can buy one with all the ammo money saved from the range closing! Would that be trespassing flying a drone in there!
Link Posted: 4/20/2019 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A friend of mine is doing the site work. I'll touch base with him tomorrow and report back
View Quote
Well?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#43]
I called the Xenia ODNR office. Not much information there except to say that the foundation for the new range "shack" had been poured and that a Sept. 1st. opening is still on track. Snapped another picture but can't see much progress to the new entrance drive. If I zoom in though, it looks like the 50 yard range berm has been removed. I couldn't see the 100 yard range due to trees being in the way.
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 5:16:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Some structures going up and work progressing on what looks like the 50 yard range.

Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Thanks for the update, I was hoping they would be getting close to finish the project but that picture looks like they are behind. Do they start to pave the new entrance road?
Link Posted: 6/4/2019 8:48:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update, I was hoping they would be getting close to finish the project but that picture looks like they are behind. Do they start to pave the new entrance road?
View Quote
Nope.

Link Posted: 6/5/2019 12:44:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Do you know if they are increasing the number of pistol lanes?
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:04:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Do you know if they are increasing the number of pistol lanes?
View Quote
No and I can't seem to find anything online about details like that. You can call the Xenia ODNR office and ask for Brett. He seems to be the guy they refer to for any questions about the range.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No and I can't seem to find anything online about details like that. You can call the Xenia ODNR office and ask for Brett. He seems to be the guy they refer to for any questions about the range.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/6/2019 8:39:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Curious too. My Son wants to go shooting on his summer break.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top