Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2018 9:15:37 PM EDT
I enjoy camping, and my son (a Bear Scout about to be a Webelo) has really gotten into it and fishing as well this year. I would like to find some places to camp occasionally that aren't the typical campground. Pitching our tent in between a bunch of travel trailers is not the experience we enjoy. The most primitive of camping is not just fine, but rather, preferred. We pack out everything we pack in, and we usually just stay one night. Access to nearby fishing would be nice (we catch and release, no desire to keep), but just a quiet spot in the woods is fine. I know private land is the sure bet, but most, if not all, the folks I know with significant amounts of land have pretty much all farm land with little to no wooded areas. Any suggestions on what public areas might have some secluded spots? Any private areas available for rent at reasonable rates? We are in central/east-central Indiana, but have no problem driving an hour or two for the right location/experience. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Charles Deem Wilderness Area (Hoosier National Forest) SE of Bloomington has free primitive camping, hike in, pick a spot away from the trail (I think there is a minimum distance from the trail) set up camp and stay as long as you like. IIRC it borders a section of Lake Monroe (largest lake in the state) so ample fishing opportunities although I have no idea if the bank fishing is any good in that area...

Could also look into Morgan Monroe State Forest between Martinsville & Bloomington. I don't have any idea what camping/fishing opportunities are there but a quick google search could probably find answers to that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top