Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2021 2:35:02 PM EDT
It seems like the gun laws are relatively favorable in FL.

The only thing I saw was something about bump stocks.  From the language in the law it looks like binary triggers would also be included.  

Am I missing anything else?

Thank you
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#1]
No open carry. Which is bullshit. I generally wouldn't even it was legal but, occasionally it would be nice to just stick my pistol on my pants going from the truck to inside my office without having to untuck my shirt.
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 11:38:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I hear you.

I thought I read something about a quasi red flag law too?
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hear you.

I thought I read something about a quasi red flag law too?
View Quote

Yes, we have what are called Risk Protection Orders.  Law Enforcement Officers are the only people who are able to be petitioners for them though.  Not spouses, neighbors, etc.  They have to be signed off by a judge as well before you can have your firearms confiscated.

Link Posted: 11/29/2021 1:15:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Roger that.  Much better than what a lot of other states have.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I think I remember seeing you post in the CT forum as well. That's where I'm from too. It takes a lot longer to load magazines down here. And you run out of ammo a lot faster on range trips.

If you don't have your CWL in Florida, there's a waiting period for firearms purchases. From what I've read, some FFL's start the clock the day you pay for the item while others start the clock the day you fill out the 4473. But if you do already have your FL CWL, all you need to do is submit an address change. No difference between a Resident and Non-Resident CWL.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 5:02:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think I remember seeing you post in the CT forum as well. That's where I'm from too. It takes a lot longer to load magazines down here. And you run out of ammo a lot faster on range trips.

If you don't have your CWL in Florida, there's a waiting period for firearms purchases. From what I've read, some FFL's start the clock the day you pay for the item while others start the clock the day you fill out the 4473. But if you do already have your FL CWL, all you need to do is submit an address change. No difference between a Resident and Non-Resident CWL.
View Quote

Yes sir!

And yes sir, I've had my non resident FL CWL for years.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 4:06:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats only for handguns

Also florida is 21 for any firearm, thanks Rick!

However in a bit of good news...
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thats only for handguns

View Quote

I believe shotguns and rifles have the 3 day wait now as well unless you have CCW
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Florida gun laws are draconian compared to Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:25:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, no binary triggers which really sucks.
You are forced to pay big bucks for a full auto machine gun instead.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Florida gun laws are draconian compared to Pennsylvania.
View Quote

For now.....  That state is in a downward spiral.  In 5 years it will be New York lite.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 5:17:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, I thought that was the case based on the language in the bump stock law.  Or, whatever you want to call it.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 5:29:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I believe shotguns and rifles have the 3 day wait now as well unless you have CCW
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats only for handguns

I believe this is true as well and was part of the gun control package that was passed after the 2018 shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. Also long guns could be purchased at 18 , but no more. It was raised to 21 by the same gun control legislation.

Signed into law by our republican governor Rick "the dick" Scott.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Florida Firearms Statutes

The State occupies ALL fire arms law, no city or county can make or enforce their own law or ordinance.

I believe there is some flexibility in waiting periods , but not much else.

If you follow state law, you’re good.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 1:25:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I still haven't heard of any test cases on that. Nor have I heard any updates in a couple years on any of the lawsuits against it. Seems like it's just another intentionally vague statute that's just there waiting to mean whatever some anti-gun politician wants it to mean at some convenient point in the future.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 12:07:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll hopefully be down there by spring.  I'm ready to write some letters to support constitutional carry!  
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 12:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
No open carry. Which is bullshit. I generally wouldn't even it was legal but, occasionally it would be nice to just stick my pistol on my pants going from the truck to inside my office without having to untuck my shirt.
View Quote

This is going to be the biggest change for me. I only carry full size firearms. Used to be my XD9 Service but I've been carrying my Ruger 57 lately. Where I was at in PA I didn't catch any grief, just the occasional curious citizen.

As far as concealed carry is concerned in FL, I've heard that police will hassle you if you so much as print. Is this true?
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is going to be the biggest change for me. I only carry full size firearms. Used to be my XD9 Service but I've been carrying my Ruger 57 lately. Where I was at in PA I didn't catch any grief, just the occasional curious citizen.

As far as concealed carry is concerned in FL, I've heard that police will hassle you if you so much as print. Is this true?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, and accidentally exposure is protected by statute.

(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top