Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2021 7:44:34 PM EDT
I recently bought a 2002 Ford F150 truck and it only came with 1 key and 1 remote fob.  Both are working fine.  There is an easy process for programming a new fob and I have purchased a set of 2 new keys and fobs.

But I do need to get at least 1 more key cut and coded to the truck.  The process in the manual only works if you already have two valid keys.

Dealer is $110 for the labor plus the cost of a key (probably more expensive than the 2 I got for $20).

I have called a couple of locksmiths and got quotes of $75 to $180+ !!!

Rather than relying on picking one from the phonebook or solely by price, can anyone recommend someone in the South Sound for me to go to?  I'm in Dupont between Tacoma and Olympia.

Thanks!

rob
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you could pick it yourself?  I hear these tools work well:

https://covertinstruments.com/collections/lishi-tools

He sells these tools and can show you how to use them:
https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickinglawyer

(Never mind, you need a key cut.)
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Give these guys a call.  I’ve heard good things about them and they inspected my safe and reset the combination when I had some issues with it.  Always Safe and Lock
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Give these guys a call.  I’ve heard good things about them and they inspected my safe and reset the combination when I had some issues with it.  Always Safe and Lock
View Quote

Thanks!  Called him and he is very competitive and sounds like a good guy to work with.  Gonna try to get in there today.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#4]
If that falls through-

It's been ten years or so, but my dealership codes the fobs i brought in. They were oem from eBay and took 5 minutes

I think they charged 50-work them over.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I did the FOB programing myself.  Easy.

The recommended locksmith cut my two cheap keys, but couldn't get them programmed.  Paid for one of theirs and got it done in a minute.  Cheap Amazon keys didn't want to work.  Didn't charge me for cutting my keys since they wouldn't program.  

So now I have two good keys and 3 working FOBs.  I will try the self-programming process on the cheap keys, and if they still won't program, at least I'll have an emergency door key or two.

Thank you.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#6]
ForScan is free, and does PATS programming for most years/models with only one key.

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
But you have to have a compatible scanner/OBD interface for that to work, right?  I have an old-fashioned one that is all hardware, and a bluetooth one but I don't think that one can receive/program, only send to a phone app (I use Torque).

Rob
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 3:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
have the dealership program the one than make duplicates and program them yourself.

need 2 to program.  than its easy peasy
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 9:55:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But you have to have a compatible scanner/OBD interface for that to work, right?  I have an old-fashioned one that is all hardware, and a bluetooth one but I don't think that one can receive/program, only send to a phone app (I use Torque).

Rob
View Quote

The one I got was maybe $30 and designed to run with Forscan.

It's a good tool to have, even for just basic stuff like diagnostics.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top