Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2019 6:32:44 PM EDT
I go to UCF and I am struggling to find a range that allows me to draw from holster. I don't even care if the range is private as long as the membership isn't too expensive.

Also if ya'll want to go shooting send me a message?

Let me know!
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 8:12:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes - do a public day and try it out - http://www.volusiacountygunclub.com

You can do all sorts of tactical stuff there as long as you're within the safety rules.
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You can do all sorts of tactical stuff there as long as you're within the safety rules.
View Quote
Someone suggested that range to me, I just wish I could use a FPC membership or something other than NRA.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I concur, except for the following doesn't fit the criteria.    $300/yr.

Quoted:
....as long as the membership isn't too expensive.
No idea if they charge any fee on public day, but even if you go as a guest it is still $15/day which actually isn't a bad price at all.

ETA :

The Titusville Police Hall of Fame range supposedly holds an event on Fridays.  (Not too far from UCF.)
Heard about it but never attended.
It runs from 2-6:30.
My understanding is you go when you can during that time frame.
Click here to check it out.
They won't be doing anything this Friday due to the holidays but I am debating about checking it out.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 12:47:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I concur, except for the following doesn't fit the criteria.    $300/yr.

No idea if they charge any fee on public day, but even if you go as a guest it is still $15/day which actually isn't a bad price at all.

ETA :

The Titusville Police Hall of Fame range supposedly holds an event on Fridays.  (Not too far from UCF.)
Heard about it but never attended.
It runs from 2-6:30.
My understanding is you go when you can during that time frame.
Click here to check it out.
They won't be doing anything this Friday due to the holidays but I am debating about checking it out.
View Quote
Looks awesome actually. I'll look into that. Says 9 bucks for a course of fire and then you can shoot after for no extra charge?!
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#5]
CFRPC is closest to UCF... Try out one of the pistol matches you don't have to be a member to shoot those, they don't really have a public day like Volusia, which is nice but further.

IMO don't even bother with indoor ranges.

https://www.cfrpc.com/

Be forewarned it isn't particularly cheap and is a bit of a pain to become a member, you have to go to like 2 meetings, 1x 3-4 hour orientation, then be a probationary period, then qualify on each range...

You also cannot draw from a concrete pad, which is every primary ranges firing line except for a small sliver of the 25 and 50 yard range.  However if the range is empty you can "move the firing line forward" and draw standing on dirt.

What you really want is permission to use the action bays, which requires full membership, plus 6 action matches, plus being known and approved by a director, and another separate orientation (because you will be trusted to obey the rules by yourself in your own bay running-n-gunning-n-drawing).
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
CFRPC is closest to UCF... Try out one of the pistol matches you don't have to be a member to shoot those, they don't really have a public day like Volusia, which is nice but further.

IMO don't even bother with indoor ranges.

https://www.cfrpc.com/

Be forewarned it isn't particularly cheap and is a bit of a pain to become a member, you have to go to like 2 meetings, 1x 3-4 hour orientation, then be a probationary period, then qualify on each range...

You also cannot draw from a concrete pad, which is every primary ranges firing line except for a small sliver of the 25 and 50 yard range.  However if the range is empty you can "move the firing line forward" and draw standing on dirt.

What you really want is permission to use the action bays, which requires full membership, plus 6 action matches, plus being known and approved by a director, and another separate orientation (because you will be trusted to obey the rules by yourself in your own bay running-n-gunning-n-drawing).
View Quote
@deanwormer

Everything you stated is the reasoning for not joining.
The last time I investigated this range it opened at 8 or 8:30 but the link now shows sunrise, is this correct?
If so, that would be a huge benefit to me and may have to rethink this.

Also, how many actions bays are usually opened on Saturdays as that is my usual time for shooting.
IIRC, they only had about 6 action bays and if there was a match scheduled that day there could be a chance no bays were available.
Has that changed?
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

@deanwormer

Everything you stated is the reasoning for not joining.
The last time I investigated this range it opened at 8 or 8:30 but the link now shows sunrise, is this correct?
If so, that would be a huge benefit to me and may have to rethink this.

Also, how many actions bays are usually opened on Saturdays as that is my usual time for shooting.
IIRC, they only had about 6 action bays and if there was a match scheduled that day there could be a chance no bays were available.
Has that changed?
View Quote
Sunrise to sunset 365 days a year.  10 bays usually 70% occupied by a match every Saturday.  Matches usually end by 2pm but may be occupied by people setting up sunday matches.  Best bet is a weekday at sunrise or after ~2pm on sundays… especially in summer when its hot AF
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sunrise to sunset 365 days a year.  10 bays usually 70% occupied by a match every Saturday.  Matches usually end by 2pm but may be occupied by people setting up sunday matches.  Best bet is a weekday at sunrise or after ~2pm on sundays… especially in summer when its hot AF
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.
Usually I will give a range a chance, but since Saturdays are 99% of my shooting and based on your reply and all the hoops required to join it isn't worth it.
I was a member of another range where it wasn't a guarantee to get a bay and it sucks driving an hour to find no action bays available.
Maybe will check it out again if I ever retire so I can go shooting during the week.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 1:11:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for the reply.
Usually I will give a range a chance, but since Saturdays are 99% of my shooting and based on your reply and all the hoops required to join it isn't worth it.
I was a member of another range where it wasn't a guarantee to get a bay and it sucks driving an hour to find no action bays available.
Maybe will check it out again if I ever retire so I can go shooting during the week.
View Quote
The "hoops" are there for good reason.

Some ranges are owned by municipalities and you follow the .gov rules. Shoot Straight, Volusia County Gun & Hunt Club and others are privately owned for profit businesses, so it's easy - you pay and you can shoot.

The other "clubs" like the Central Florida Rifle & Pistol Club are member-owned fraternities. They aren't going to let you join and become an equal member as them if you can't at least attend a few safety classes, which is really what the whole process is. I do agree that it can be extremely annoying, but I get why they do it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The "hoops" are there for good reason.
View Quote
I would agree. It does help to weed out potential issues, but if the hoops were somewhat convenient I would probably still give it a try.
The only days I really have free is Saturday and that isn't enough for them.
Even if I had to do a crash course like two 8 hour days as long as it were on a Saturday I would still consider it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top