Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2020 8:23:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 4:05:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Eric802:
We cancelled a Mediterranean cruise for early July and were thinking of heading to Maui instead, but although it’s still 3 months away everything is still up in the air. Don’t really want to fly 6 people there and be quarantined the whole time. Has there been any talk of when things might be “normal“ for tourism?
View Quote

Well, mayors in at least two counties have shut down vacation rentals.

This weekend in three counties there’s a curfew between 2300-0500 with few exceptions. Almost all of the hotels have shut down.

Mandatory 14 day quarantine for arrivals from the mainland and now includes travel from neighbor islands with a few exceptions.

Roadway checkpoints are being conducted.

Citations and arrests have been made for violations of the stay home proclamation.

No meaningful discussion of when travel related businesses will resume. Almost every day something changes by the governor or mayors.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:11:15 AM EDT
[#2]
My best guess is September at the earliest.

They will ease restrictions here earlier than that but don't want a flood of potential COVID cases arriving by plane.

Another guess... they will ease mainland travelers before they do those from the west.

just my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#4]
July is a good possibility, maybe June.  COVID cases should ease up by then and there will be resources to cope with it.  I cannot see how the state would be able to survive economically past that.

I can foresee social distancing requirements still in place so no large events, some attractions still closed or attendance reduced, sparsely seated restaurants, wear a mask, etc.  Parks and beaches should be open.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:11:34 AM EDT
[#5]
June is out as the quarantine order got extended through June.

The state and county leaders don’t want mainlanders coming in and messing up the very low numbers of cases.

In the meantime, high unemployment and government leaders want the locals to support businesses that were given permission to reopen. The same locals who are still on unemployment.

Shipping company is asking for support in the amount of $25 million dollars from the covid funds.

Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:22:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Hawaii is fucked by their government.
View Quote

Yep.  The retards on my Island let a couple hundred moonbats scare off 1.5 billion in an international telescope project.  It's not officially cancelled yet, but it will be unless gov't grows some balls.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:50:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Brundoggie] [#8]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:

Yep.  The retards on my Island let a couple hundred moonbats scare off 1.5 billion in an international telescope project.  It's not officially cancelled yet, but it will be unless gov't grows some balls.
View Quote

The Mayor has been a total waste during this whole COVID stuff.  Harry Kim needs to just retire already, I'm supporting Marzo for now.

ETA: Now would be a great time to start construction of TMT.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
My June estimate was off as the 14 day quarantine is still in effect.  The Government was willing to crush the local economy but they are in panic mode now that the expected Federal bailouts have likely evaporated.

Everything except for travel is opening up really fast.  Almost all stores are able top open, but many remain closed due to still losing money from social distancing and lack of tourists.  Parks and activities are opening up too.

Local travel between islands will restart on June 16th when the quarantine is removed.  The State is pursuing travel bubbles where the quarantine is lifted to low COVID rate international countries like Japan.  The US Mainland quarantine is still in place but they are looking to exempt those who pretest for COVID before arriving here.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#10]
The dumbass commie governor extended the quarantine to July 31.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Cancelled everything this morning.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/12/2020 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FlyingIllini:
The dumbass commie governor extended the quarantine to July 31.
View Quote

Which coincides with the Federal Stimulus Unemployment Boost Funding expiring from the CARES ACT.

Coincidence?

Its almost like businesses are being told to “F-Off” while the employees are enticed with unemployment money that sometimes beats what they were WORKING for.

Which may lead to a spiral down effect: If the businesses go, then so do the jobs.  If jobs go, then so do folks having money, money buys things like groceries, and other goods, if those shipments get fewer they get more expensive which means food prices go up & availability goes down.

If someone thinks that Hawaii is recession proof, its not like salaries match up to the affordability of housing in Hawaii now anyways!  Tourists may go elsewhere if they think an area is sliding into dangerous status as far as safety.

Or it could even out.

Will
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 4:25:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Brundoggie:

The Mayor has been a total waste during this whole COVID stuff.  Harry Kim needs to just retire already, I'm supporting Marzo for now.

ETA: Now would be a great time to start construction of TMT.
View Quote

Fuck Kim for sure.  I gotta look around yet after that.

And yeah, 1.5 billion in construction couldn't hurt.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top