Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2024 5:40:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil]
Just got back from County court house, I brought my filled out RV-F1310301 (Rev. 12/23) and my service connected letter, and said I wanted to get a "Disabled Veteran Placard" item (8) on 3rd page of application.

They have never heard of or seen this before, and most of these ladies have been here for 20+ years.

I just want it for really bad days, I do not want handicap tags, I don't believe I need it and I don't qualify for a permanent handicap plate of any type anyways, there are just days I can't walk far.

Ever seen this request before?

They kept telling me to have a Dr just sign it off I said I don't qualify for one....just have Dr. Sign off...repeat...
They did not understand the difference.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 6:24:26 PM EDT

Just got off phone with them, after 2 bullshit calls with fkn Indians, the dot kind I couldn't understand.

Chris went through it, issued a call back number for me. He and coworkers had never heard of this request, sent up chain of command.

He is curious and wants to know also....he gets off in 15 minutes, he will call back today or next week.

I am a pioneer apparently
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:01:34 PM EDT
Why not get the mirror hanging placard? Use it when you need it, take it down when you don't. Simple.

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:59:48 AM EDT
That is what I'm trying to get, TN has one for Veterans that are not 100% but local office doesn't have a clue about it.

Attachment Attached File

#8 is what I want
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 9:20:03 AM EDT
I see them all the time in my AO.

What county are you doing tag business with?
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:19:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#5]
Johnson Co.,  I figured next Friday I would hit up Johnson City  dmv. (More Vet's in Washington co.)The thing that I think threw them off was 2 things....the no dr. Signature required, due to only needing my VA letter to show disability. And the serialized placard....they couldn't even say the word

I don't want or qualify for a dav tag yet, just want the placard for the days I can't hardly walk.

I think I will shoot my VA PC doc a message and see what she says.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:10:22 PM EDT
Here is the huge annoying freaking problem in TN.  Tags and placards are handled by the county clerk.  The state can't make them do squat.  You are stuck dealing with your county of residence.
I found out this the hard way.  I was trying to tag a gooseneck trailer.  In TN for private use you don't have to tag it, for commercial or farm you should.  I bought a newer one from an individual who had never tagged it and I needed it tagged.  Local clerk (Fayette) refused and said the only path to tagging it was if the original owner tagged it.  I printed out and brought all the laws, instructions etc from the state that said otherwise - nope wouldn't do it. I ended up tagging it (legally) in Arkansas using my Arkansas farm property.  When that needed to renew I took that registration into the same local clerk and they tagged it no problem - same trailer.  I've got 7 road vehicles and 8 trailers (mostly farm stuff semi trucks / trailers included) tagged through that same clerks office and some things they are easy and some it's a royal pain.  

Drivers license is different that is handled at the state office and you can go to any one you choose.

Link Posted: 1/30/2024 5:05:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#7]
I understand that, I called the state revenue office and talked to a nice man who had never heard of what I wanted, I gave him the form number and he said, give me a call back number im putting you on hold, a few minutes later and he said, his supervisor din't have a clue and is sending my request higher...we shall see...not crossing fingers. It's just amazing that I have voted for her like 20 years

Going to hit up JC on Friday just to find an answer...maybe

ETA sent an email to TN rev. dept...I am amazed, after several calls I swear I am the 1st to try to get this placard
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#8]
Not much of an update, I got an email that it is going to go higher up the chain, to figure out how to issue it.... I wonder where all the state funds for this project went?

I am at like 4 upper supervisors so far...they are staying in contact tho'

I honestly think I am the 1st to do this
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 6:24:24 PM EDT

#8 that you show above reads like there is a distinctive "Disabled Veteran Placard" that differs from the standard blue disabled placard.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:44:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#10]
Yes, it's two fold.

It can be used by a service connected veteran that is not 100%, most 100% just get the regular handycap placard and the DV plates...everything free for 100%

Say the 1 day a month my knee is swollen, wife drops me off at door, otherwise I have to hobble across a parking lot, so that special placard will allow me to park closer, also I would get the DV free sticker with the wheelchair, to put in the corner of my normal license plates, it's about 1x1. I still pay for my tags like normal, but the sticker and placard are free.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 7:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DMark] [#11]
Thanks @bansil.  Following!

I wonder if the Tennessee Department of Veterans Services would have any insight?

Link Posted: 2/6/2024 8:30:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DMark:
Thanks @bansil.  Following!

I wonder if the Tennessee Department of Veterans Services would have any insight?

View Quote

Nope, separate entities, it's crazy

So for instance (I'm new to this)

So when you go to the VA, you need to do a claim to start the process.

You have 2 choices, use the DAV association OR use
The provided TN department of veteran services, at the VA (dav has an office there also, they just don't have same access)

If you start at DAV you cannot use the TN Veteran services, they tell you that straight up. So I wisely chose to use the TN VA services building 69 Iirc. JC. They actually have access to all your records in the archive.....DAV doesn't.

So they did tell me to check out tn.gov, which is where I found this program, also the DV hunting/fishing for life for $10...good for 100 years!!!

But since separate tn.gov entities, it's a no go...for interstructure help.

I really hope the 100% folks know what is available at the state level to include property tax breaks,free tags etc.

Oops, sorry long winded post...also DISCLAIMER!!! I JUST KNOW WHAT I HAVE BEEN TOLD OR FOUND OUT.

ETA to add....Disability pay is a separate entity than travel pay...you have to set up 2 direct deposits, they just stopped paper checks for travel
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 9:33:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SiVisPacem] [#13]
TCA 55-21-106

Any veteran who has been honorably discharged from any of the armed services of the United States and who has a service-connected disability equivalent to the disabilities as prescribed in § 1 of Public Law 187 of the eighty-second congress, first session, and any person with a physical disability who possesses material incapacity for ambulation, shall be entitled to receive, and the department is authorized to issue, under such rules and upon such application as the department shall prescribe, a serially numbered certificate of identification for the personal use of the veteran or person with a physical disability.
View Quote
(Emphasis added.)

Public Law 187

If you read Section 1, of Public Law 187, it says:

(a) Loss or permanent loss of use of one or both feet;
(b) Loss or permanent loss of use of one or both hands;
(c) Permanent impairment of vision of both eyes of the following status: Central visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the better eye, with corrective glasses, or central visual acuity of more than 20/200 if there is a field defect in which the peripheral field has contracted to such an extent that the widest diameter of visual field subtends an angular distance no greater than twenty degrees in the better eye.
View Quote

So, it appears to only apply to those with the above listed conditions and those "with a physical disability who possesses material incapacity for ambulation." The point to be argued would likely be in the definition of "material incapacity for ambulation."
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 10:43:19 AM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
TCA 55-21-106

(Emphasis added.)

Public Law 187

If you read Section 1, of Public Law 187, it says:

So, it appears to only apply to those with the above listed conditions and those "with a physical disability who possesses material incapacity for ambulation." The point to be argued would likely be in the definition of "material incapacity for ambulation."
View Quote

Interesting reading the public law, def. don't fit that qualification. Thanks

I just think it's weird that they haven't heard of or dealt with it before
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:17:23 PM EDT
Never seen one, curious to see how this plays out...
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 8:06:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#16]
So this went to the top, apparently I am the 1st person to apply for this.

So what I learned is this:

100% DAV get a free DAV disabled tag and placard

So above 30% permanent DAV, you can not get DAV disabled tag, since your not 100%

With the Application filled out and paperwork from the VA submitted, the state reviewed it and moved forward and issued me a placard.

At this point you have options:

1 get a placard and use regular tag that you pay for every year like normal.

2 get a personalized plate and as long as vehicle is registered to the DAV, you will get a small wheelchair sticker to place in the corner like the year stickers.

Okay, still with me?

So what I got was this: a 1019

Attachment Attached File

All other handycap placards expire in 2 years (not sure on 100% DAV) this one is permanent and the registration also has permanent

As to exactly what I did to get this, I'm not 100% sure since it appears I am the 1st.

I want to thank that random stranger at dept. Of Revenue on the phone that said something along the lines of "thank you for your service, I haven't seen this, I'm curious so I'm going to talk to my supervisor.....a week later....I went and got it.

I will probably never use it but, you never know
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 4:28:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: high_order1] [#17]
I want to forward this to all my vet buddies. Most of them ambulate without complaint, but there are days I let them off at the door and go park.

Basically, there's a special placard separate from the standard one they can get, but to expect the local clerk's office to have no idea?

Wonder if they print out the law if it would help?

Edit: for those that haven't thought about it, I have a temporary one for my wife's issues. I got the hangtag instead of the plate or sticker because those last two tie you to a single vehicle. If I rent a van or our main car breaks down, SoL. The hangtag we have I don't think has the license plate on it, just an expiration in sharpie.

As an officer or a guard, I never checked a handicap tag past maybe looking a little hard to make sure it wasn't a color copy, unless I had a real reason to be concerned. (shrugs)
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 5:26:34 PM EDT
Let them know about the $10 lifetime (100 years) hunt/fish license also

Biggest issue I had was the clerk had never done one with out a "dr's note" They kept telling me to just have my DR. sign section E.

I explained to them a DR. didn't rate me, the VA did

It was just over their head, since it was different, also I believe the old law doesn't cover my or our situation since these forms ask different questions than the way it worked 75 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top