Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Family is the most durable, unimpeachable reason people stay.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 10:20:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess I should update this thread and my location.  For better or worse we moved back.  My mother in laws health is declining and the company I work for scrapped their plans to open a branch in the Denver area once covid happened.  

Pretty much every reason I hated this place is still here obviously, but my son is happier than he has been in a year and the rate his cognitive ability is developing has been amazingly improved since being back.  I don’t plan to be here forever. However for the mean time I have a much better career outlook, my wife and kid are happier, and we have family around. Right now that makes it bearable.
View Quote

Blownfour,
To put your family before your state of mind speaks volumes about your integrity.
You are a stand up dude, and maybe California needs some more people like you .
Everything happens for a reason,  and best of luck.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:39:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been gone for 20 years. I was literally just talking about moving back.
I moved to Oregon. People suck here. Just yesterday I went to a store with my mother and she commented "man, there sure are a lot of ugly people here in Oregon". Oregon is getting more liberal laws. I'm not sure what's going on in California, has anything happened with overturning the high cap mag ban?
If California were to overturn that and maybe a few more gun laws and/or Oregon gets laws worse than CA, I'd be back.
I miss the economy in CA. It seemed so easy to make money. I miss most of the people.

I probably have a couple cars that won't pass smog that I'd have to get rid of.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can never go back. The California of 35 years ago no longer exists except in our memories with out-of-state people having ruined California long ago.
View Quote

It's weird that you say that. I was born and raised in the OC. Never ever felt any hate. Both of my parents and their whole families came to CA from other states. I never once even thought about "people from out of state". When we moved to Oregon there was some serious hate towards Californians, in fact even today I notice that in the 20 years I've lived here the only cars I ever see pulled over by a state trooper have California plates.

I tried to move to Hawaii a few years ago... Talk about hate! All the forums I went on to learn about Hawaii, all I got was flat out hate speech! They flat out tell you "you're not welcome here haole!".

One day out of the clear blue my mom asked me if I consider my self an "Oregonian"? I was like "why no, I don't".

One reason I think about moving back is because it's the only place I feel at home.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've been gone for 20 years. I was literally just talking about moving back.
I moved to Oregon. People suck here. Just yesterday I went to a store with my mother and she commented "man, there sure are a lot of ugly people here in Oregon". Oregon is getting more liberal laws. I'm not sure what's going on in California, has anything happened with overturning the high cap mag ban?
If California were to overturn that and maybe a few more gun laws and/or Oregon gets laws worse than CA, I'd be back.
I miss the economy in CA. It seemed so easy to make money. I miss most of the people.

I probably have a couple cars that won't pass smog that I'd have to get rid of.
View Quote

I don’t see California getting any better on the gun law front and Oregon is only going to get worse.  I know a ton of ultra libs who haves moved up there and that influx ain’t stopping.  Same as Idaho and Colorado.  Only thing places like ID, MT, WY, and CO have going for them is the winters keeps many people away.  

The economy is one thing that no other state can compare to.  Texas is really booming but I think it has a ways to go before the amount of opportunity for high level jobs and careers advancement is at the level a place like the Bay Area is.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:09:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It's weird that you say that. I was born and raised in the OC. Never ever felt any hate. Both of my parents and their whole families came to CA from other states. I never once even thought about "people from out of state". When we moved to Oregon there was some serious hate towards Californians, in fact even today I notice that in the 20 years I've lived here the only cars I ever see pulled over by a state trooper have California plates.

I tried to move to Hawaii a few years ago... Talk about hate! All the forums I went on to learn about Hawaii, all I got was flat out hate speech! They flat out tell you "you're not welcome here haole!".

One day out of the clear blue my mom asked me if I consider my self an "Oregonian"? I was like "why no, I don't".

One reason I think about moving back is because it's the only place I feel at home.
View Quote

You don’t remember the bumper sticker campaign “welcome to California now go home”. I Personally think all the hate directed at Californians in other states is misguided anger towards political changes in their state they did nothing to stop.  And that change came from “natives” not the imaginary CA boogeyman.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I also want to thank everyone for putting in their two cents on this thread.  It feels pretty shitty to be back here on a personal level but I just have to have faith that this is the right move for my family at the moment.  I will say my careers prospects are already looking better than any opportunity I had in Colorado so that’s a plus.  I guess I should start the countdown to when I can escape again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Red states need to start stipulating that certain people can't live there,  ie liberals. Not sure how you'd do it,  but we need to keep some stats free.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 1:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Red states need to start stipulating that certain people can't live there,  ie liberals. Not sure how you'd do it,  but we need to keep some stats free.
View Quote

I do not think there is any way to implement this.  

I do not think you'd want to live somewhere where they could implement this.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Creating an echo chamber of ideas is good for no one.  What we need is proper history being taught in schools and a move back to towards Christian based morals this country was founded on.  We need to teach our children about the tenants of individualism, community, hard work, charity, and family.  Then we won’t have to play this stupid game of musical chairs where the amount of suitable places to live gets smaller and smaller by the day.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Creating an echo chamber of ideas is good for no one.  What we need is proper history being taught in schools and a move back to towards Christian based morals this country was founded on.  We need to teach our children about the tenants of individualism, community, hard work, charity, and family.  Then we won’t have to play this stupid game of musical chairs where the amount of suitable places to live gets smaller and smaller by the day.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope. Left my birth place and home of 41 years(Fresno) in 1998. I’ve been back a few times to visit but won’t live there.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread got me thinking. If you leave California and then move back a few years later, do you have to register the guns you had when you were a resident the first time ?
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This thread got me thinking. If you leave California and then move back a few years later, do you have to register the guns you had when you were a resident the first time ?
View Quote

That’s a good question.  Many of my rifles were bought pre “registration” I know I will need to register the couple handguns I purchased while in Colorado.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top