Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/18/2019 4:43:28 PM EDT
Me and my wife are currently in the process of being licensed to be foster parents.

My question for those that have been licensed is how was the firearm storage portion of the requirements for you?

3-1-2020  New question. The licensing Agency wants to have records of my handgun registration. I threw all the forms away after the 30 day period. What should I do? Tell them they are legal and that's it? Contact the State to get them?
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 11:45:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Me and my wife are currently in the process of being licensed to be foster parents.

My question for those that have been licensed is how was the firearm storage portion of the requirements for you?
View Quote
Girlfriends brother and sister inlaw are, They were very strict on Firearm storage. Guns and ammo needed to be behind 2 locked devices. so in a locked room inside a locked safe. I think in a locked safe with a trigger lock was ok IIRC
Link Posted: 12/24/2019 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm told I will have to place trigger locks on all my firearms that are stored in my Liberty Safe. This will be expensive.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
We are licensed foster parents with 2 foster children.
They require:
1. A list of "all" firearms (this gets turned in with your license application)
2. Firearms MUST be locked up and secured separate from all ammunition.
3. Ammunition must also be locked up and as stated above, separate from firearms.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm told I will have to place trigger locks on all my firearms that are stored in my Liberty Safe. This will be expensive.
View Quote
Don't know who told you that....But mine are just fine in my safe with no trigger locks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:40:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Girlfriends brother and sister inlaw are, They were very strict on Firearm storage. Guns and ammo needed to be behind 2 locked devices. so in a locked room inside a locked safe. I think in a locked safe with a trigger lock was ok IIRC
View Quote
I think the case worker is adding to the actual requirement.
Link Posted: 3/19/2020 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#6]
First off... congrats.  It's both challenging and rewarding.  I ended up adopting my first foster (in and out of the system, mom's rights were finally terminated...).   It's been a few years since I fostered, but here's what I went through.

The licensing Agency wants to have records of my handgun registration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The licensing Agency wants to have records of my handgun registration.
For me, I referenced the CPL laws and they settled on just having a copy of the CPL.  I had some of my forms, but definitely not all of them after several moves, etc.  Especially since it is much easier to buy/sell pistols with a CPL.

Quoted:
I had to do this too.  Cool part is the sheriffs office had locks for free.  I called them and explained the situation.  Their question was how many do you want.  So you can try that.

It was enough I had the guns in the safe (with locks) and the ammo in the same locked room as the safe.

Also, this little tidbit is good to be aware of too.

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927

28.425n Other license or permit; limitations by employer prohibited.
Sec. 5n.

(1) This state or a local unit of government of this state shall not prohibit an individual from doing either of the following as a condition for receiving or maintaining any other license or permit authorized by law:
 (a) Applying for or receiving a license to carry a concealed pistol under this act.
 (b) Carrying a concealed pistol in compliance with a license issued under this act.
 (2) Except as provided in subsection (3), an employer shall not prohibit an employee from doing either of the following:
 (a) Applying for or receiving a license to carry a concealed pistol under this act.
 (b) Carrying a concealed pistol in compliance with a license issued under this act. This subdivision does not prohibit an employer from prohibiting an employee from carrying a concealed pistol in the course of his or her employment with that employer.
 (3) A police agency may prohibit an employee of that police agency from carrying a concealed pistol if carrying a concealed pistol would result in increased insurance premiums or a loss or reduction of insurance coverage for that employer.

History: Add. 2000, Act 381, Eff. July 1, 2001
Popular Name: CCW
Popular Name: Concealed Weapons
Popular Name: CPL
Popular Name: Right to Carry
Popular Name: Shall Issue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top