Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2021 10:54:38 PM EDT
I am learning- long road! Just got my tech, hopefully general soon.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#1]
No, just you.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:27:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Nutter,

Jonathan Hardy @ CCDL is ham radio. Here is his Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DJBadInfluence pg.......

Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:17:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a GMRS license, but I should get my tech so I can legally transmit on the VHF hand helds that my Jeep club wants to use...
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Don’t have my license yet and bought 2 Baofengs during the Great cheap radio Armageddon. I just listen every once in a while and have them both loaded with repeaters and other local stations.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a GMRS license, but I should get my tech so I can legally transmit on the VHF hand helds that my Jeep club wants to use...
View Quote
If they're MURS radios, you don't need a license.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Became a Ham eons ago. Haven't been active or on the air for many years.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:08:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Like many others, bought a cheap BaoFeng years ago. Never got around to doing much with it, or getting licensed for transmitting on it, beyond CHIRP programming it with a bunch of basic channels (weather, frs, gmrs, few murs, marine, and some locals).

It seems many discussions on these cheap BaoFeng radios always ends up devolving into arguments over legal issues and legal uses with a sprinkling of elitisms from the hard core old school hams that is a turnoff to some ham noobs. Shrugs. Some day I'll get around to getting one or more of the licenses. Some day.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Like many others, bought a cheap BaoFeng years ago. Never got around to doing much with it, or getting licensed for transmitting on it, beyond CHIRP programming it with a bunch of basic channels (weather, frs, gmrs, few murs, marine, and some locals).

It seems many discussions on these cheap BaoFeng radios always ends up devolving into arguments over legal issues and legal uses with a sprinkling of elitisms from the hard core old school hams that is a turnoff to some ham noobs. Shrugs. Some day I'll get around to getting one or more of the licenses. Some day.
View Quote

This ^^^

I've always been interested but the topic confuses the heck out of me.  So much minutia involved.  Transmit on this channel and the FCC will fine you.  Breath too heavy with out a license and the FCC will put you in radio prison.  

Like, it's a radio.  Why can't staying off the first responder channels be enough?  

I have a set of Midland GXT1050 whatevers.  They aren't Ham radios but I read you need a license to use even those.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a set of Midland GXT1050 whatevers.  They aren't even Ham radios but I read you even need a license to use those.
View Quote

FRS doesn't need a license but GMRS does if it is above a certain wattage (2 watts but I could be wrong). Midland has their own page on GMRS and this one too.

Its confusing because often they don't disclose the licensing need in regular print on many of these two way radios, they bury it in the fine print and it is often confusing. With BaoFangs there is the whole transmit power issue (watts) that is outside what the FCC allows for certain bands/channels because some of their radios (like the uber popular and cheap UV-5R) can be set to 1 watt or 4 watt. That's where it gets a bit confusing on what's legal with BaoFangs and what isn't and for which bands one needs licenses for.

Have a couple of cheap "bubble" pack radios as well (some unknown brand and one old set of Kenwood UBZ-AR14's) for emergency use but never used them beyond just a quick test. Used to have a couple of CB radios (and a car antenna for it) but not sure if I tossed them or kept them over the years.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

FRS doesn't need a license but GMRS does if it is above a certain wattage (2 watts but I could be wrong). Midland has their own page on GMRS and this one too.

Its confusing because often they don't disclose the licensing need in regular print on many of these two way radios, they bury it in the fine print and it is often confusing. With BaoFangs there is the whole transmit power issue (watts) that is outside what the FCC allows for certain bands/channels because some of their radios (like the uber popular and cheap UV-5R) can be set to 1 watt or 4 watt. That's where it gets a bit confusing on what's legal with BaoFangs and what isn't and for which bands one needs licenses for.

Have a couple of cheap "bubble" pack radios as well (some unknown brand and one old set of Kenwood UBZ-AR14's) for emergency use but never used them beyond just a quick test. Used to have a couple of CB radios (and a car antenna for it) but not sure if I tossed them or kept them over the years.
View Quote

The only time you will possibly have a problem is if you interfere with broadcast signals or reception signals of licensed users or receivers. If you interfere with your neighbors devices that could also be a problem. Baofengs are cheap China junk- I have several
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The only time you will possibly have a problem is if you interfere with broadcast signals or reception signals of licensed users or receivers. If you interfere with your neighbors devices that could also be a problem. Baofengs are cheap China junk- I have several
View Quote

Great now we'll see some old timer come in to scold everyone for not having a license and how they'll (gleefully) report unlicensed users to the FCC.

Baofengs like the UV-5R are definitely cheap (think i paid something like $25 or $30 for mine) but they did introduce thousands (probably tens of thousands) to the Ham world.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Baofengs like the UV-5R are definitely cheap (think i paid something like $25 or $30 for mine) but they did introduce thousands (probably tens of thousands) to the Ham world.
View Quote

What is wrong with them?  Why do people say they are junk?  They break, or don't receive properly, or burn up when they transmit, or something else?

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What is wrong with them?  Why do people say they are junk?  They break, or don't receive properly, or burn up when they transmit, or something else?
View Quote

The initial problem with them was their user manual sucked. Really poorly written and lacking information. Took many others to figure how to use the device properly and create programs like CHIRP to make programing it easier than using the keypad on the radio. Several of their radio models are not FCC licensed (from what I remember) which means using them on certain frequencies is illegal (not that many are actually arrested for using them). Certain BaoFengs are limited in what the can do (lack features and lacking frequency bands). What made the UV-5R so popular was their stupid low price.

Some discussion on the FCC order from a few years ago.
https://www.kb6nu.com/did-the-fcc-just-make-baofengs-illegal-short-answer-no/

Like many other hobbies there will be; cliques, elitists, purists, and noobs. Many if not most Ham radios are made in China. There will always be those hard core hobbyists who will look down at the hardware that some buy. BaoFeng's are what they are. They are often much cheaper than other more popular brands. As such some will see them (on purely price alone) as cheep Chinese junk. Others will have other reasons, features or lack of them, on why they're cheap Chinese junk. Others will think they're fine for noobs. Shrugs.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#16]
General class here...
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
General class here...
View Quote

Cool!
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

They are just cheap and not well made however they did get a shit ton of people interested, they are inexpensive and they do work- just not as well as better made radios
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:59:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The initial problem with them was their user manual sucked. Really poorly written and lacking information. Took many others to figure how to use the device properly and create programs like CHIRP to make programing it easier than using the keypad on the radio. Several of their radio models are not FCC licensed (from what I remember) which means using them on certain frequencies is illegal (not that many are actually arrested for using them). Certain BaoFengs are limited in what the can do (lack features and lacking frequency bands). What made the UV-5R so popular was their stupid low price.

Some discussion on the FCC order from a few years ago.
https://www.kb6nu.com/did-the-fcc-just-make-baofengs-illegal-short-answer-no/

Like many other hobbies there will be; cliques, elitists, purists, and noobs. Many if not most Ham radios are made in China. There will always be those hard core hobbyists who will look down at the hardware that some buy. BaoFeng's are what they are. They are often much cheaper than other more popular brands. As such some will see them (on purely price alone) as cheep Chinese junk. Others will have other reasons, features or lack of them, on why they're cheap Chinese junk. Others will think they're fine for noobs. Shrugs.
View Quote

Most ham radios are NOT made in China- they are and were mainly made in the USA and in Japan. Japanese radios are top notch

The Chinese can make some very good stuff however they need to have quality control standards in place and enforced- if left to their own- they will give you garbage!
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I read that the Baofeng radios were poor quality and you needed to purchase a couple to get one that works. Additionally they supposedly did not pass FCC rules for spurious emissions. In other words they transmitted garbage outside of their set frequency. Another example of poor quality and therefore interference generators!  

I guess I'm the old timer given the Extra license but I'm not looking to chastise anyone. You get what you pay for. If you want to rely on cheep radio for a bad situation and you have no formal training on how they work it's your skin.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:03:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I read that the Baofeng radios were poor quality and you needed to purchase a couple to get one that works. Additionally they supposedly did not pass FCC rules for spurious emissions. In other words they transmitted garbage outside of their set frequency. Another example of poor quality and therefore interference generators!  

I guess I'm the old timer given the Extra license but I'm not looking to chastise anyone. You get what you pay for. If you want to rely on cheep radio for a bad situation and you have no formal training on how they work it's your skin.
View Quote

Cool- I think extra is beyond me for a while. Spurious emissions is what everyone say about the feng. I wanted to learn more in case I ever needed to use comms. I am glad that I started getting into it- keeps me out of troubles..... I love trouble!
Lots of people think that when they need to use a radio they will just turn it on and it will all come together- it just don’t work like that. There is a lot to learn . My old man was a radiomen in Korea- thought about that while I was studying.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I have my general license but have not really done much with it. I used to have a neighbor, my parent's age, who was big into it. As a kid I would sit with him and his son and we would listen while he transmitted. We had a telegraph between the two house and us kids would tap out messages to each other. Was fun.

I picked up a 4 Baofengs. They are not super sturdy Motorola job site type radios but they work. I paid under $20 for them on an Amazon deal. There was an FCC issue with them because they could be operated on frequencies outside the amateur bands. It is illegal to import and/or market radios with these capabilities, regardless if they are FCC certified or not. It is not illegal to own these radios. It is illegal to operate outside your license bands.

Amateur radio is a fun hobby and like guns you can spend ridiculous amounts of money chasing your dreams. One aspect of the hobby is "fox hunting", this is hunting down illegal operators. For the cost of a license why not just get one if you want to dabble? You can download an app that will help you study if books aren't your thing.

I bought the Baofengs to play around and also have them all programmed for just in case. If I need to run comms for a group I am good to go. If SHTF I can arm a few buddies with them. I even bought spare batteries.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't you knead some kind of antenna to broadcast far?
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Tech here for about 15 years.  I don't do much with it but I've got a few radios and I tinker every once in awhile.   Last year I was messing with YSF digital modes - playing with an MMDVM hotspot and DMR over YSF.   Also have a 400XDR in the house with an X50 in the attic, with another 400XDR in my truck.

Baofengs are trash but they have their place.

I was hoping to start studying for General last year but got sidetracked.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Tech here for about 15 years.  I don't do much with it but I've got a few radios and I tinker every once in awhile.   Last year I was messing with YSF digital modes - playing with an MMDVM hotspot and DMR over YSF.   Also have a 400XDR in the house with an X50 in the attic, with another 400XDR in my truck.

Baofengs are trash but they have their place.

I was hoping to start studying for General last year but got sidetracked.
View Quote

Cool!
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Reading this thread I just had a flashback.....

Back in the 1970's I used to drive between Ohio and Colorado every couple of years in my Porsche 911.  When I did this I would try to beat my previous time.  There was a national speed limit back then of 55 mph. (Naturally Connecticut was 50.  Fuck Ella Grasso!  Rot in Hell, bitch!).  

A CB radio was necessary to drive back then (no cell phones, no internet, no GPS, etc).  At 55 Iowa used to take about 5 or 6 hours to drive through, but I cut it down to about 3 hours.  I was flying.  It was fun!

Well that was fun remembering that.  "Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.  We catch ya on the flip."

"Break one nine how 'bout it?"

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Reading this thread I just had a flashback.....

Back in the 1970's I used to drive between Ohio and Colorado every couple of years in my Porsche 911.  When I did this I would try to beat my previous time.  There was a national speed limit back then of 55 mph. (Naturally Connecticut was 50.  Fuck Ella Grasso!  Rot in Hell, bitch!).  

A CB radio was necessary to drive back then (no cell phones, no internet, no GPS, etc).  At 55 Iowa used to take about 5 or 6 hours to drive through, but I cut it down to about 3 hours.  I was flying.  It was fun!

Well that was fun remembering that.  "Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down.  We catch ya on the flip."

"Break one nine how 'bout it?"
View Quote

Back in the late '70s my brother and I would fiddle with my dad's CB. Not knowing the difference or reason for it, we'd transmit "Breaker one nine, anybody out there?" on a bunch of channels.

It went about as well as the above smiley.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#28]
I was a tard on the cb in the 80’s just non stop shenanigans
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#29]
CBs are still required equipment in my Jeep club.  For in vehicle communications on the trail they work great and they are relatively inexpensive.  Many of the trail leaders and tail gunners use FRS for personal comms to relay instructions or directions.  Many discussions have come up within the club to switch from CB to VHF radios like Rugged Radios that a lot of off road racing teams use (over priced Baofeng knock offs with blue housings), but we don't want to request members get a license or operate illegally.

Since I have my GMRS license I have a 40 watt radio I'm going to install in my Jeep so if we have an emergency on the trails, I can access a repeater and possibly radio for help (most of our wheeling is in mountains where there's no cell signal)

Link Posted: 3/12/2021 6:13:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
CBs are still required equipment in my Jeep club.  For in vehicle communications on the trail they work great and they are relatively inexpensive.  Many of the trail leaders and tail gunners use FRS for personal comms to relay instructions or directions.  Many discussions have come up within the club to switch from CB to VHF radios like Rugged Radios that a lot of off road racing teams use (over priced Baofeng knock offs with blue housings), but we don't want to request members get a license or operate illegally.

https://photos.smugmug.com/General-Pics-2021/i-ZZF3v3r/0/5a72dbd5/L/Rugged%20Radios-L.jpg

Since I have my GMRS license I have a 40 watt radio I'm going to install in my Jeep so if we have an emergency on the trails, I can access a repeater and possibly radio for help (most of our wheeling is in mountains where there's no cell signal)

https://photos.smugmug.com/General-Pics-2021/i-Ns9CTf6/0/a6e17899/L/Midland%20Box%20rotated-L.jpg
View Quote

Since you appear concerned with compliance (GMRS license) you should know that those radios you pictured are not legal to operate without a ham license for multiple reasons. I'm not a ham nazi, just making you aware. MURS is what you seek. No license required. Here's a link to a type certified MURS radio. Can't speak to how good they are or availability. But they're priced similarly to the Baofeng UV-5R.

https://www.amazon.com/Retevis-Rechargeable-Channel-Acoustic-Earpiece/dp/B07JCTH8FB/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=murs+radio&qid=1615586613&sr=8-4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top