Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2021 10:42:30 PM EDT
I’m getting the run around from Farm Bureau Insurance about covering my guns for theft on my home owners policy.     I had them covered with FB on an extra rider and had paid the extra premium for several years.     Now I talked to the agent about increasing the valuation due to the recent escalation in gun prices.     Now all of a sudden, FB wants me to get a “professional appraisal” of all my rifles and refuses to talk about covering $10k worth of ammo.   They didn’t have a problem with my estimate of prices before, nor with ammo before.

So I’m looking to find a new policy to cover my guns.    

Any good experience?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm an agent and insure mine under my homeowners. I've yet to have them request an appraisal on them and some rifles are $5k+ when you factor in the optic, laser, etc... Honestly I would just find a new company to get a quote from.

The ammo is a different story. That's going to be a case by case basis... but most probably won't cover it (By scheduling it). You might need to get specialized coverage for that. The good news is you're probably already covered there. As long as it's at your primary residence it would fall under personal property (Coverage C) so you would have coverage from that.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 3:28:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Call eastern. It's like 150 or 200 for I believe 18k minimum. They insure ammo up to a certain amount also.

https://www.easterninsurance.com/insurance-quotes/personal-insurance/historic-firearms
Link Posted: 5/31/2021 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]
fenced yard
guard dog
video surveillance
concealed carry permit

I have very little faith in insurance companies to honor their policies. My basement flooded and they wouldn't cover anything related to reloading equipment/supplies/ammo.

Link Posted: 5/31/2021 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
fenced yard
guard dog
video surveillance
concealed carry permit

I have very little faith in insurance companies to honor their policies. My basement flooded and they wouldn't cover anything related to reloading equipment/supplies/ammo.

View Quote

There is no coverage for flood on a homeowners policy. You need a flood policy to cover that.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There is no coverage for flood on a homeowners policy. You need a flood policy to cover that.
View Quote

It wasn't a flood, the city sewer backed up in out neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It wasn't a flood, the city sewer backed up in out neighborhood.
View Quote

Good to know. Just depends on the company and how much water/sewer back-up coverage you have, but every carrier we have would cover reloading stuff. I am not aware of any that would exclude it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top